C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome ignition cover - fitment 74 to 69?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 05:47 PM
ChrisMiami
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Chrome ignition cover - fitment 74 to 69?

Hi,

I have a chrome ignition cover set from a 74 that I'm wondering both if and how to install in my 69.

Do the 74 pieces fit in a 69? If so, are there any guides for installation around?

Also (just curious), would this have been a 69 option, or would it mean immediate judging demerits?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-08-2015, 06:05 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Chris,
The 'radio shielding' was installed on all cars beginning in 1968 that had a radio installed in them.
The distributor 'box' (shield) used from 1968 through late 1970 is quite different than the distributor shield for a 74.
The effect of having the 74 pieces on your 69 would depend on the type of judging your car was undergoing.
Regards,
Alan

The 68 to 70L 'box'. (Without the vertical shields installed.)

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-08-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:55 PM
ChrisMiami
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Chris,
The 'radio shielding' was installed on all cars beginning in 1968 that had a radio installed in them.
Hey Alan - That's great info - thank you!

But, um...huh - you'd think I'd have seen a lot more of them, then! In fact I hardly ever see them in engine pictures. Maybe I just haven't been looking. And my 69, with radio, came without one.

Was there some problem with them that (apparently) everyone who had one ripped it out and tossed it?

Thanks,
Chris

BTW, your engine bay looks freakin AWESOME! Do you have a full gallery of your car somewhere I can drool over it?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Chris,
ALL cars that had a radio as an option had RFI shielding.
Some people find it a nuisance so don't replace it especially if they've installed a more modern radio that doesn't suffer interference from the ignition system.
Regards,
Alan

It's just a very ordinary base motor, 4-speed, 2 option car.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:44 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisMiami
But, um...huh - you'd think I'd have seen a lot more of them, then! In fact I hardly ever see them in engine pictures. Maybe I just haven't been looking. And my 69, with radio, came without one.

Was there some problem with them that (apparently) everyone who had one ripped it out and tossed it?
Every Corvette built from 1953 on, that came with a radio, was came with the ignition shielding. The reason being, the fiberglass body didn't shield the radio from interference caused by the ignition, so Chevrolet covered the distributor, plug wires and plugs with shielding. Over the years, Chevrolet found that they could get away with less shielding, so that by 1982, the only shielding was a single cover on the 2 left rear plugs, and a foil lined plastic cover, on the distributor.

There isn't any "problem" with shielding. It's just that people often find it's a pain to remove and put back on, especially the plugs covers, so eventually it just gets left off.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Also, a lot of people upgraded to HEI distributors which were too big to fit under the shielding (on 74 and earlier cars).
Old 10-09-2015, 10:32 PM
ChrisMiami
Instructor

Alan,

Thanks for more pictures. Your car looks better than brand new! May I ask where did your interior come from?

Now that I'm shopping for a 69 ignition shielding, are there any codes and numbers that I'll need to look for on the parts?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Chris,
The seat covers and driver's side carpet are from Al Knock. The rest of the interior is the restored original. I moved the heel and dimmer pads from the original carpet to the new piece.
I don't think there's any identifying marks on the ignition shielding. It is however often pretty easy to see the difference between original and repro because the 'forming' of the repro parts is more smoothly done than the original, and the quality of the chrome plating on the repro parts is superior too.
Just what you buy may depend on how you're restoring your car and how you may use it in the future.
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome ignition cover - fitment 74 to 69?

Quick Reply: Chrome ignition cover - fitment 74 to 69?