Sponsored by:

Rebuilding my calipers 82'

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:48 PM
antoniov1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rebuilding my calipers 82'

My manual says I need either j-22628 or j-22638 what is the difference and which one do I need???
Old 02-11-2016, 06:44 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

those might be tools to install either the pistons & seals into the caliper or the tools to install the outer dust boots, either way there is more than one way to skin the cat as they say, you might find a youtube on rebuilding a Corvette caliper, just make sure they are stainless sleeved before you invest too much of your time & money
Old 02-11-2016, 07:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Neither one of those tools when I 'googled' them...look anything like the tools I have for installing the pistons and seals. And I know this because I have the correct Kent-Moore tool(s). UNLESS Kent-Moore changed the way they made them from when I bought mine to the ones with the part numbers you gave.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 02-11-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:14 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

the 1969 chassis service manual on page 5-24 refers to tool J-22639 as a Piston Ring Compressor and the associated diagram shows it being used to insert a caliper piston back into it's bore. It's a donut shaped tool to ease the piston seal past the edge of the bore. Not really necessary in my opinion if you are careful when inserting the piston and have the seal well lubricated.

Last edited by MelWff; 02-12-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
the 1969 chassis service manual on page 5-24 refers to tool J-22639 as a Piston Ring Compressor and the associated diagram shows it being used to insert a caliper piston back into it's bore. It's a donut shaped tool to ease the piston seal past the edge of the bore. Not really necessary in my opinion if you are careful when inserting the piston and have the seal well lubricated.
Commenting on the installation of LIPPED SEALS. But when installing lipped seals on the pistons. Trying to get them in the bore...the correct compressing tool does just that. It evenly compresses the rubber lipped seal and allows it so slide right into the bore. Because there is no way to just press or push the piston and lipped seal in the caliper bore without some way to work the seal in the bore.

DUB
Old 02-12-2016, 08:30 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Commenting on the installation of LIPPED SEALS. But when installing lipped seals on the pistons. Trying to get them in the bore...the correct compressing tool does just that. It evenly compresses the rubber lipped seal and allows it so slide right into the bore. Because there is no way to just press or push the piston and lipped seal in the caliper bore without some way to work the seal in the bore.

DUB

I`m using an .020 feeler gauge lubed up with Raybestos hydraulic assembly fluid
Old 02-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Caliper

One of the brake vendors gave me two stainless steel inserts. They are the inserts used to line the calipers. I use the larger one for installing the piston in the front and the smaller one for the back. I lube the insert with brake fluid, put the piston with the lip seal in the insert and place the insert over the bore in the caliper and push the piston down into the caliper. Works every time. Think of a ring compressor on an engine. I also have a machined plastic puck that seats the outer seals with one hammer blow. Also, one for the back and one for the front. No fuss. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding my calipers 82'

Quick Reply: Rebuilding my calipers 82'