1979 footwell vents blow hot air constantly

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 05:02 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Morbird, you sound like what I had.

Please DO NOT take any of your hoses and fittings for granted as far as vacuum integrity. Your fittings are damn near 40 years old and I found on mine that the connectors were weak and the plastic hoses were brittle and had hairline cracks in them.

Although a PITA, you will need to trace your vacuum from the engine source, through the fire wall into the car. Take your glove compartment out and you will see a bunch of the hoses, tee fittings and connectors.

Use your hand held vacuum and undo and isolate each component for integrity. Most likely it is not your control valve on the console.

As I mentioned earlier, I swapped most of my old hoses for new and the system sprang back to life. My main issue was the little clear plastic connector on the engine and the plastic hose.
Good to know! So when you say trace the vaccuum, I'm assuming you mean I should disconnect each individual line and hook it up to my hand held vacuum pump to make sure it holds a vacuum right?
Old 05-01-2016, 08:18 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Ok so I removed the glovebox to test those vacuum connections. How in the world am I supposed to reach back there to remove and test them? There's almost no room at all (I can't even get my hand in there). Is there a better way to get to all those t joints and switches to test them for vacuum? See picture below for what I'm talking about. The part circled in red is where the small vacuum line comes in through the firewall.

Quick Reply: 1979 footwell vents blow hot air constantly