Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on purchasing first vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:37 PM
Bhebert449
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 72 vette purchase advice

I have been looking for a 69-72 big block vette for a while. I think I finally found one that checks all the boxes for me. Going to look at a 72 bb coupe tomorrow. Talked to the owner and the car sounds very nice. He is a mechanic and has gone through the car and has sorted through everything. The car is NOM 454 Big block, 4 speed, New Vintage Air, Pertronix Electronic Ignition, Factory Side Pipes, Dark Saddle Leather Interior. He has installed heat reflecting insulation on the interior to help keep it cool, replaced rear control arms, brakes and the radiator and the vacuum system. Car is very clean. He is asking $28k but says he has some room. I'm looking to stay under $25k. Thoughts? <br > <br > <br > <br > <br > <br > <br > <br > <br >

Last edited by Bhebert449; 05-01-2016 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:17 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi B,
Car looks nice in the pictures.
2 things I see.
Regards,
Alan

The trim fits poorly…. why?…. windshield header problems?

The bumperette /grill alignment and fit is poor…. why?... was front end hit and not repaired well?
Old 04-30-2016, 08:23 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Good eye Alan,
I was thinking same thing as hood insert is not fitted very well.
Should all be fitted/ adjusted correctly especially after repaint.
Just an FYI, those tires haven't been made in a while.
Probably a good idea to figure 4 new sneaks in the budget shortly after if purchased.
25k seems strong but its a starting point.
Marshal
Old 04-30-2016, 09:15 PM
Bhebert449
Pro

Yeah I noticed the trim and gaps. Thinking the car has been repainted. What are thoughts on a fair offer?
Old 04-30-2016, 11:19 PM
Bhebert449
Pro

Is the hood difficult to adjust?
Old 05-01-2016, 01:47 AM
TMU
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '15, '17

Originally Posted by Bhebert449
Factory Side Pipes
Meaning factory original pipes that were put on this car? (The only year side pipes were an option for C3s was 1969)
Old 05-01-2016, 09:02 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

It's also missing the black front air dam, this usually causes the car to run hot.

FYI - the steering wheel and shifter are after market replacements. It's also missing the black plastic shields that cover the headlights when retracted.
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...late-1972.html

Last edited by Revi; 05-01-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

... He is asking $28k but says he has some room. I'm looking to stay under $25k. Thoughts?...
You two will have to dicker.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Bhebert449
Pro

What do you guys think is a fair price on this car? I feel like he has some room on it.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:53 AM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Buying a big block Vette can be a very thrilling experience. My personal opinion is that if this is your first C3 Corvette that you should take a knowledgeable person with you. As an NOM car with some alterations I think he is over priced from what I can see. Do you know if this is an original big block? Any documentation? What is the quality of the work that has been done. Others may have a different opinion but I don't see it bringing more than $20-22K at best.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Bhebert449
Pro

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop
Buying a big block Vette can be a very thrilling experience. My personal opinion is that if this is your first C3 Corvette that you should take a knowledgeable person with you. As an NOM car with some alterations I think he is over priced from what I can see. Do you know if this is an original big block? Any documentation? What is the quality of the work that has been done. Others may have a different opinion but I don't see it bringing more than $20-22K at best.
I have the vin and it is an original big block. I'm going to see the car today. I've been researching these cars for a while but just trying to get a good idea on fair market value. The owner bought the car for his wife and has done a lot of repairs on the car to make it a good driver including the cooling, suspension, steering and brakes. As I mentioned the AC system is new vintage air and he reinsulated the interior. I drove a 71 bb a few weeks ago and the heat from the engine made it very uncomfortable. I'm looking for something I will enjoy driving but also has the power and feel of a muscle car.

Since this is a NOM car and a 72 which is probably the lowest value 69-72 model I understand the value is lower.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:10 AM
mjfrank
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What do you guys think is a fair price on this car? I feel like he has some room on it.
My personal opinion, but he should have a lot of room to come off of 28K. Have you verified that it started life as a BB, thankfully on the '72s, it as easy as checking the VIN. If the fifth digit is a W, it's a BB, if it's a K, it's a SB.

As a comparison, here is a car near me that appears to be a twin to that car, but is a claimed numbers-matching car. It's listed at 28K, and seller is willing to take any reasonable offer. That car has been for sale for at least four months, so he might jump at 25K. (Sorry, I know it's not near your area though.)
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5508888079.html

I think this goes back to a previous thread where someone was asking how much NOM affects price. In this case, where the engine gives this car a special provenance, and now that engine is no longer with the car, I believe it has a much greater effect to value than it would to a base engine car.

--Mike
Old 05-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...What do you guys think is a fair price on this car?...
What do you think is a reasonable offer to satisfy what he might be willing to take and what you might be willing to offer? If you want the car, you two will need to negotiate. You should be willing to go up a little; he should be willing to come down some.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 05-02-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:46 AM
Bhebert449
Pro

Originally Posted by mjfrank
My personal opinion, but he should have a lot of room to come off of 28K. Have you verified that it started life as a BB, thankfully on the '72s, it as easy as checking the VIN. If the fifth digit is a W, it's a BB, if it's a K, it's a SB.

As a comparison, here is a car near me that appears to be a twin to that car, but is a claimed numbers-matching car. It's listed at 28K, and seller is willing to take any reasonable offer. That car has been for sale for at least four months, so he might jump at 25K. (Sorry, I know it's not near your area though.)
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5508888079.html

I think this goes back to a previous thread where someone was asking how much NOM affects price. In this case, where the engine gives this car a special provenance, and now that engine is no longer with the car, I believe it has a much greater effect to value than it would to a base engine car.

--Mike
Yes I inquired about that car. Nice original condition but a few things I would want to update. I like that the car I'm looking at has some features that will make it a better driver including updated AC system nicer paint and I love the factory style side pipes. I understand for a collector the original car will have better value but I'm looking more for something I can drive and enjoy.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:37 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

As a comparison, here is a car near me that appears to be a twin to that car, but is a claimed numbers-matching car. It's listed at 28K, and seller is willing to take any reasonable offer. That car has been for sale for at least four months, so he might jump at 25K.
If it's a true ORIGINAL numbers matching engine, at that price, I'd suspect this car has some serious issues. Achieving 'numbers matching' isn't difficult or terribly expensive. Where the seller gets in trouble is when they claim it's original. The car should have paperwork to back up the claim it's original. A good clean valid numbers matching BB Corvette should sell in the area of $35K +.

I think this goes back to a previous thread where someone was asking how much NOM affects price. In this case, where the engine gives this car a special provenance, and now that engine is no longer with the car, I believe it has a much greater echinffect to value than it would to a base engine car.
--Mike
True only from a collector or investors POV. Others buy these cars for driving, a BB is vastly more desirable to many looking for a driver regardless of the originality. They're buying performance, not collectibility or investment. A collector would regard the car to be junk, prefer a base model automatic if it was numbers matching, the interest in the car being expectation of better appreciation, leaning more to antique collecting or investment, not so much for performance.

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop
I'd ask whether the buyer can find another in the same condition at $20-$22K, a BB which looks to be pretty clean. I doubt it. Sure, the buyer can spend another $10K easily going for a numbers BB, then pay a bit more to validate the stamp pad. From there on be sure to keep everything original, else start to lose value. Value depends on what the buyer is looking for, a collectible, antique, or driver. In this case, is there a comparable available at a better price? I've heard of other NOM BB cars actually selling for more than this. NOM Corvettes DO sell, I had no problem selling my 67 BB Convertible which was a NOM. Just be aware of what the current market values are, facts, not opinions.

I'm looking for something I will enjoy driving but also has the power and feel of a muscle car.

Since this is a NOM car and a 72 which is probably the lowest value 69-72 model I understand the value is lower.
It's the lowest value only in the eyes of numbers enthusiasts who do not buy the car for how it performs, mainly interested in buying a collectible. Expect NOMs to be trashed by this crowd. So far as being an original BB, I'd prefer this over a made up BB car mainly because odds are the factory upgrades which accompany a BB are most likely still there. I'm not sure it makes a big difference in value unless you plan to install a restamped block, pass it off as original later on.

Again, I ask, can you find another which fits your stated attributes at a better price? Condition being very important. I have no problem with people paying anything they wish for a numbers matching car if that's what their interest is. I am very skeptical you'll find a BB at a better price if this car is in very good condition. These cars are expensive to maintain, very expensive to paint, etc. I'd at least have a look, have someone knowledgeable look for big red flags other than numbers.

Whatever you decide to do, I strongly emphasize you should buy what fits your interests. I would never settle for a lesser car, a SB if I really wanted a BB, because people insist the SB is a better value. I question whether people who settle for something less to fit in are ever really happy with what they bought. If you feel more comfortable buying a true numbers BB, go for it, expect to pay $35K or more for one in good condition. Some go even higher. Condition is very important, numbers or not, they cost almost the same to repair. Numbers cars may cost a bit more to maintain having to rebuild original parts rather than replace.

Good luck with your quest.

Last edited by BBCorv70; 05-01-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Bhebert449
Pro

Great advice, thank you! That is how I am approaching this. What would it cost me to add factory style side pipes, repaint, an AC system that actually cools the car, not to mention brakes rear drive train,suspension, vacuum system and on and on?
Old 05-01-2016, 12:45 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

It's really work looking at. Remember to check for the rust.

The air cleaner is really thin and will effect performance and the fuel line was cheaply done.

The front grills look way off to me as well.

For $28K I would expect a no issues car.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for advice on purchasing first vette

Old 05-01-2016, 12:57 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by ddawson

Are you referring to the alignment fit or the gap?

What would be the correct gap for the grills in the above picture?
Old 05-01-2016, 01:24 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454

Are you referring to the alignment fit or the gap?

What would be the correct gap for the grills in the above picture?
I assumed he's referring to the gap. Could be sloppy reassembly? I don't know how much adjustment there may be on the lower ends of the bumperettes. I don't think you get much adjustment with the placement of the grilles. The windshield header misalignment may be poor installation. I'd take a closer look.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Bhebert449
Pro

Originally Posted by ddawson
It's really work looking at. Remember to check for the rust.

The air cleaner is really thin and will effect performance and the fuel line was cheaply done.

For $28K I would expect a no issues car.
I wonder if an oem style air cleaner will fit? Thinking they went with thinner style due to hood clearance?

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on purchasing first vette