Sponsored by:

Need Carpet replaced...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:18 AM
Kim Moulton Miller
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Carpet replaced...

The carpet is about completely ruined. Need to install heat shield and new floor mats or carpets. What's the best way to do this from a novice's perspective. (low budget) Kim
Old 05-27-2016, 09:56 AM
SFCC3
Cruising

Default Carpet replacement

Originally Posted by Kim Moulton Miller
The carpet is about completely ruined. Need to install heat shield and new floor mats or carpets. What's the best way to do this from a novice's perspective. (low budget) Kim

Hey morning,

As long as you do not mind taking a day to strictly do it. You would have to remove the seats, door sills, and l loosing up the center console so that you could move it and then put it all back. Strip the carpet out, shopvac it completely out, wipe it down with like scrub sponge of sorts with soapy water to clean anything like dirt and such out. Let it dry, choose your best budget heat/sound barrier (several to choose from at not bad prices), but get enough to cover the floor completely and the back behind the seats. Note - some come already with adhesive on them others you have to spray, and you have to cut it to fit. Lay the new carpet in with spray adhesive with something to hold it in shape of applied area to keep its form wait a couple of hours and replace the components that you pulled from the car (seat, sills, center console). Not bad job mostly time consuming. You can do it all under $500 easy. Just do not know your budget.
The following users liked this post:
Kim Moulton Miller (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 10:02 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Moving from Parts For Sale/Wanted classifieds to General discussion area.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Kim Moulton Miller
Advanced

Originally Posted by SFCC3
Hey morning,

As long as you do not mind taking a day to strictly do it. You would have to remove the seats, door sills, and l loosing up the center console so that you could move it and then put it all back. Strip the carpet out, shopvac it completely out, wipe it down with like scrub sponge of sorts with soapy water to clean anything like dirt and such out. Let it dry, choose your best budget heat/sound barrier (several to choose from at not bad prices), but get enough to cover the floor completely and the back behind the seats. Note - some come already with adhesive on them others you have to spray, and you have to cut it to fit. Lay the new carpet in with spray adhesive with something to hold it in shape of applied area to keep its form wait a couple of hours and replace the components that you pulled from the car (seat, sills, center console). Not bad job mostly time consuming. You can do it all under $500 easy. Just do not know your budget.
That sounds simple enough! I'm printing your post to put in my TO DO folder when Vette budget builds back up. Thank you so much! Kim
Old 05-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Kim Moulton Miller
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Moving from Parts For Sale/Wanted classifieds to General discussion area.
Sorry...still getting the hang of the forum. :-)
Old 05-27-2016, 12:37 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Old 05-27-2016, 01:09 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

What I did,

http://www.vettenuts.net/ C3 Corvette Pre Cut Insulation Kit

I only did the front floors up to the rear of the seats. Didn't do the doors either.

Get the Carpet from http://willcoxcorvette.com/

Your choice on the floor mats. I bought mine from http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/
The 89.99 dollar ones.

As you take things apart place the screws in a bag and label them. That way you know what goes were. Also take pictures 1st as you take it apart.

Last edited by ddawson; 05-27-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:19 PM
Kim Moulton Miller
Advanced

Got it! Saved your suggestions, too!!

Thanks guys!
Old 05-28-2016, 07:22 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Not sure how much you want to spend on floor insulation, but I went to the Heating/ducting department at lowes and bought a couple roles of the Reflex duct insulation from them.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_409814-56291...insulation#img

Workes perfectly and is cheap too.

Ken
Kim Moulton Miller (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Yellow1980
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Check out this article on California Stingrays web site:

http://www.californiastingrays.us/Articles/TonyGriffitts/Carpet.html

Old 05-28-2016, 10:34 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

w/ken home depot sells its too. Cheap light and works

pick up a can of 3m spray adhesive while youre there

While not cheap Lloyds mats makes some real nice ones good coverage little thicker/plush

Havent been in a C3 forever but some insulation /heat barrier on the firewall/tunnel over the ex most important to keep the heat off your feets.

Theres a vendor in C4 gen that sells some interesting lightweight sound deadener looks like it actually does something, most doesnt. Sells it in sheets
Pretty much any dense roll of foam will help.Not a fan of jute collects moisture too easy but youre not hosing your interior down so-

Did put some up in the roof of my Abody with 3m spray
Wow what a difference cant even hear rain hit it.
tap it with your finger just a solid thud.

Last edited by cv67; 05-28-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

You will regret it if you don't install the hushmat or Amazon knock-off derivative as I did). It makes a minor difference in a C3's noise, vibration and harshness. Buy a roll of foil tape when you buy the roll of Reflectix and seal the Reflectic to the floor. Be sure to use a double layer of Reflectix which is virtually identical to the thickness of the original (and smelly) jute backing that you'll scrape off, first. The quieting effect was amazing and unexpected on my car. Even the door closing sounds more solid, let alone the much more muffled sounds/rattles when driving on rough roads.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:49 PM
Kim Moulton Miller
Advanced

Lots of good suggestions..I'm printing them all! Will post when this project takes place...will be a while I'm sure.....rebuilding the engine and transmission wiped me out!

Originally Posted by Lakeside49
You will regret it if you don't install the hushmat or Amazon knock-off derivative as I did). It makes a minor difference in a C3's noise, vibration and harshness. Buy a roll of foil tape when you buy the roll of Reflectix and seal the Reflectic to the floor. Be sure to use a double layer of Reflectix which is virtually identical to the thickness of the original (and smelly) jute backing that you'll scrape off, first. The quieting effect was amazing and unexpected on my car. Even the door closing sounds more solid, let alone the much more muffled sounds/rattles when driving on rough roads.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:41 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by ddawson
What I did,

http://www.vettenuts.net/ C3 Corvette Pre Cut Insulation Kit

I only did the front floors up to the rear of the seats. Didn't do the doors either.

Get the Carpet from http://willcoxcorvette.com/

Your choice on the floor mats. I bought mine from http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/
The 89.99 dollar ones.

As you take things apart place the screws in a bag and label them. That way you know what goes were. Also take pictures 1st as you take it apart.

Carpet is on sale this weekend too.. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-savings.html

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 05-28-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:47 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

The hardest part I found was the rear compartment area. Oh and something sharp and, heavy duty to cut with
Old 05-29-2016, 09:41 PM
René K.
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am just about to finish my carpet replacement... put in a thin foil insulation in the front area of the foot well and tunnel and added a complete cloth-felt-insulation (1/4" thick Max.) in the entire interior. Carpet trimming is a bit more difficult but worth the effort. I ordered the cut pile carpet from ACC!

Good luck!

Cheers...
René
Old 05-30-2016, 11:13 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

I used ACC carpet as well.

Some real good scissors (I used Zwilling kitchen shears) are best for the trimming.

I used no thermal or sound barrier, and only glued the bulkhead section of carpet.

Do some real good cleaning while you got the interior and old carpet out.

Not a hard job, and very rewarding once completed.

Carter

Get notified of new replies

To Need Carpet replaced...

Quick Reply: Need Carpet replaced...