Sponsored by:

What Is It Worth

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 11:37 AM
WesleysHuman
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Is It Worth

I unfortunately need to sell my 1975 but I don't know what it is worth.

It is a 1975 coupe non-numbers matching 350 w/4 speed manual. The interior is serviceable but was custom done by the previous owner to avoid purchasing parts. It did run fine but hasn't been started in about 3.5 years. I have over $2500 in parts purchased new (with documentation), some have been installed and some have not. In its current shape it isn't drive-able. The brake system has almost been replaced and all the needed parts (minus a couple clips or so) are provided.

I greatly appreciate any assistance that anyone can provide. Please let me know if there are other questions.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 08-21-2016, 11:55 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I think there is not enough information. For example, how was the car stored (in a garage, out in the weather, etc.) What part of the country are you in? In other words, does the frame and the birdcage have rust? Did the car have a mechanical problem that prevented it from being started? (if you can start it would probably be worth quite a bit more.) Is it a car that can be used for driver or is it realistically a parts car. If the new parts have not been installed, it might be better to sell them separately on ebay.

Originally Posted by WesleysHuman
I unfortunately need to sell my 1975 but I don't know what it is worth.

It is a 1975 coupe non-numbers matching 350 w/4 speed manual. The interior is serviceable but was custom done by the previous owner to avoid purchasing parts. It did run fine but hasn't been started in about 3.5 years. I have over $2500 in parts purchased new (with documentation), some have been installed and some have not. In its current shape it isn't drive-able. The brake system has almost been replaced and all the needed parts (minus a couple clips or so) are provided.

I greatly appreciate any assistance that anyone can provide. Please let me know if there are other questions.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 08-21-2016, 12:06 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Also, a huge factor is: what is the condition of the paint?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:16 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Unfortunately without it running and needing more information quoting a value is impossible.
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (08-22-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 04:35 PM
WesleysHuman
5th Gear

The car is presently in the Petersburg, VA area. It has been stored outside but always under a cover/tarp. As far as rust I don't think that there are serious issues but I am not very knowledgeable in the area. There isn't a mechanical reason that the engine won't run. The problem is that I have moved several times since I bought the car (and before I was able to finish the needed repairs) and lost the keys. I had purchases new locks all around because it was missing door locks when I bought it. To make it safe to drive requires finishing the brakes (front lines/rotors/pads, parking brake, master cylinder/booster), replacing seat belts, and a couple of U-Joints. I believe that I have all of the parts necessary for these repairs. The paint job is not great (nicks/scratches) but I think it is passable. My intent was to do a resto-mod over time while driving it as often as possible. I didn't want a garage queen.

Originally Posted by crawfish333
I think there is not enough information. For example, how was the car stored (in a garage, out in the weather, etc.) What part of the country are you in? In other words, does the frame and the birdcage have rust? Did the car have a mechanical problem that prevented it from being started? (if you can start it would probably be worth quite a bit more.) Is it a car that can be used for driver or is it realistically a parts car. If the new parts have not been installed, it might be better to sell them separately on ebay.
Attached Images      
Old 08-21-2016, 05:48 PM
0Corvettes by George
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

In current condition it is a '75 "parts car", and not knowing rust status, no way to further help with value.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:31 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1960fi
In current condition it is a '75 "parts car", and not knowing rust status, no way to further help with value.
So there is still not enough information to know if it is worth restoring or use as a parts car . Since it was stored outside even if it was covered it depends whether it was stored on grass or concrete , if it had the tarp down to the ground or up enough to let the air flow under the car. Was the tarp old and leaking ? These situations could have contributed to frame rust, bird cage rust and windshield frame rust . It's probably safe to say it is a parts car maybe worth between $1,500 - $1,800. to the right person.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:55 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

bj1k

Did you notice the dents in the fan blade...
Old 08-22-2016, 03:31 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by The13Bats
bj1k

Did you notice the dents in the fan blade...
Thanks for pointing that out Bats. Now it's worth $10.00 less.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:03 PM
Mr muscle
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not giving you any opinion because there are far more reliable sources than myself here. I will say I bought my 75, with no brakes( needed 4 calipers), a poor interior, no front or rear bumper, and not driven in 15 years or so for about 3k. It was stored in a garage, and the frame is perfect. Birdcage does have minor rust.

That's my price in Ohio, maybe check out the local Craigslist and auto trader to get a feel for the cars in your area.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:33 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I know you want honest opinions otherwise you will have unrealistic expectations. An average condition '75 coupe can usually be bought in the $9-11k price range in my area. Sometimes a little more on less depending on options and 4 speed etc. Your car from what I see needs restoration in every area and would be difficult to recover the cost of returning it to a nice driver status. In it's current condition I believe it would sell for around 2,000-3,000. If you could get it in running driving condition that would increase but much of it depends on the condition of areas prone to rust such as the frame, birdcage, etc. If they are shot most people would part it out. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:33 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

on the 74-82 project cars if they do not drive that really hits the price a lot, then if they do not drive that's a harder hit,

I believe 1500-1800-2K is a fair estimate with the info at hand for the forum,
If listed on craigslist a non vette savvy person might pay you more, but it's a pain in the butt when a savvy vette person who is less than tactful comes and spends / wastes an hour of your time to beat the car down to 1000.

Again with info at hand I believe most would part this one out and in turn parting it out is worth more than how it sits, but parting out is another PITA,

But if you part it, I'll take the 4 speed stuff...
Old 08-22-2016, 10:37 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I have to agree with the "parts car" judgement. The car needs a total make over even to be a presentable driver. Money wise it doesn't make sence to try to bring this one back.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:44 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
I have to agree with the "parts car" judgement. The car needs a total make over even to be a presentable driver. Money wise it doesn't make sence to try to bring this one back.
I feel like when folks come here asking for "how much is worth" on a car like this to say what I honestly think which most times is about the same with what others think it's like whizzing on their bday cake and calling it sprinkles,

on the plus side I will likely in the next few months buy such a car to get the 4 speed parts then flip what's left or just give away the rest, play it forward idea....
Old 08-22-2016, 11:03 PM
Mr muscle
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its important to treat each other with respect and honesty on forums. If you Want yes men your doing the wrong thing asking on forums. Im new here and to corvettes, but i was a member on other csr forums for my s10 and mustang.

I LOVE that people post pictures and guys point out "dented fan blade" or " missing shroud, better fix that".

I don't think it has to be parted out, doesn't seem any worse than mine when i got it. Obviously we can't inspect it, but from the info at hand it can be made a driver.

Honestly, either get it running yourself or pay someone to do it. You will double your money im betting if it runs.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:03 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I feel like when folks come here asking for "how much is worth" on a car like this to say what I honestly think which most times is about the same with what others think it's like whizzing on their bday cake and calling it sprinkles,

on the plus side I will likely in the next few months buy such a car to get the 4 speed parts then flip what's left or just give away the rest, play it forward idea....
with your 1st observation and I definitely agree with the idea of buying a parts car for a 4 speed conversion. This way not only do you have all he parts but every nut and bolt also. It would same lots of time as well as money.
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 11:23 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr muscle
I think its important to treat each other with respect and honesty on forums. If you Want yes men your doing the wrong thing asking on forums. Im new here and to corvettes, but i was a member on other csr forums for my s10 and mustang.

I LOVE that people post pictures and guys point out "dented fan blade" or " missing shroud, better fix that".

I don't think it has to be parted out, doesn't seem any worse than mine when i got it. Obviously we can't inspect it, but from the info at hand it can be made a driver.

Honestly, either get it running yourself or pay someone to do it. You will double your money im betting if it runs.
some of us have jaded eyes,

I get all over the place on these type subjects I used to get so discouraged when so many cars posted on here asking for opinions were shot down and being worthless POS ready to be hauled to a dump, some were, rust will kill a otherwise nice shark.

There are many people here who have taken basket case messes that did or what have been called worthless and made wonderful silk purses,

I am in that boat, I scrapped all my toad pelts together, a convertible was a must and I paid 6K for a 69 convertible in modded but very drivable nice in many ways condition. ( not a purist car )

However, time and money, even what we cant see this car does need a total rebuild, a perk is a 4 speed but if the owner can get it at least running he will raise the selling price, I doubt it will double it, driving condition might make it a 3K car, if he pays to have the work done, no, he will loose money on the deal.

3JsVette
I will way get my moneys worth, and yes, all the little nuts and bolts and stuff that adds up.

Get notified of new replies

To What Is It Worth

Old 08-23-2016, 04:23 PM
WesleysHuman
5th Gear

My problem is that I need money. If that weren't the case I wouldn't be asking for valuation, I would be keeping it to continue working on. I know it isn't in the greatest condition and I am looking for honest help. It had been stored on asphalt and then in a shop on concrete. For the last 9 months it has been stored on the ground. It has always been covered with a tarp that doesn't leak. If there is anyone who is in the central Virginia area and could help me evaluate it in person that would be awesome.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:53 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Here are a couple of suggestions since you say you are not an expert to diagnose rust. I do not think you need to be.

The big unknown is the rust on the frame. If you could reach underneath the car and put your finger in the frame holes and try to scrape it, you might get an idea if the frame is rusty. You might also just want to jack it up and put it on stands so that you can get a first hand look. The rust will be obvious. There is a big difference in surface rust and the kind that cuts into the steel. I also believe that you can remove the windshield frame and take a look at the birdcage to check for rust. If there is a lot of rust, it probably would be best to part it out.

I do not claim to be an expert. I have seen these suggestions on this forum in the past.

Originally Posted by WesleysHuman
My problem is that I need money. If that weren't the case I wouldn't be asking for valuation, I would be keeping it to continue working on. I know it isn't in the greatest condition and I am looking for honest help. It had been stored on asphalt and then in a shop on concrete. For the last 9 months it has been stored on the ground. It has always been covered with a tarp that doesn't leak. If there is anyone who is in the central Virginia area and could help me evaluate it in person that would be awesome.

Last edited by crawfish333; 08-23-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:22 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Best situation in my opinion is get it running and really clean it up. Even if there is some frame rust if the car is able to run and at least yard drive you will get more for it. Cleaning up before advertising it pays off. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: What Is It Worth