Sponsored by:

1981 Power Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 06:46 PM
mcqueen1981
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 Power Antenna

My 81's Power antenna does not work. Hasn't worked since I bought the car last year. I did put in an aftermarket radio but couldn't locate a wire that went to the antenna. I was thinking of just removing the power antenna and putting a regular antenna on the car in its place. Has anyone done this before and is it possible to unplug the old one and just plug in the new one without running 8 feet of new antenna wire. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-04-2016, 07:40 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Just get a pliers and pull the telescoping antenna up to the height you want. No need to take apart, run new wires or spend any money.

I did this with my 82 and have no reception issue with only 6 inches of antenna showing.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Sunracer
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Many modern radios have a wire designed to turn on an amplifier. You can use this to trigger the antenna.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:18 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

If you change the antenna to a fixed mast antenna, you will need to run a new antenna cable. The cable used with the power antenna, is unique to the power antenna, and won't connect to a regular antenna.

Does your antenna motor, if so it probably only need the $35 power antenna repair kit. The mast is raised and lowered by a nylon cable, that will break after years of use. The rebuild kit comes with a new cable and internal mast shaft, as well as instructions on how to replace the cable.

If your motor doesn't run, there is a very nice repro of the stock power antenna available for $169.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:16 AM
M. Young
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
If you change the antenna to a fixed mast antenna, you will need to run a new antenna cable. The cable used with the power antenna, is unique to the power antenna, and won't connect to a regular antenna.

Does your antenna motor, if so it probably only need the $35 power antenna repair kit. The mast is raised and lowered by a nylon cable, that will break after years of use. The rebuild kit comes with a new cable and internal mast shaft, as well as instructions on how to replace the cable.

If your motor doesn't run, there is a very nice repro of the stock power antenna available for $169.

This is not a complicated fix but certainly a pain in the ***.

Is there power to the relay located in the compartment behind the passenger seat where the jack is? Is the gray, white, and green wire attached to the relay, then to the antenna? If its the nylon mast cable all you need is a new one, a drill, basic tools, and some RTV and beer.

If you do decide to fix it, I'd install a hidden rocker switch to stop the power from getting to the relay so you can listen to a cd or AUX without the mast going up.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:29 AM
M. Young
Instructor

Thanks to Willcoxcorvette for the pic.

The shop manual is a great thing to have for pictures and diagrams.
Attached Images   
Old 10-06-2016, 07:47 PM
mcqueen1981
7th Gear

Default reply

Originally Posted by M. Young
This is not a complicated fix but certainly a pain in the ***.

Is there power to the relay located in the compartment behind the passenger seat where the jack is? Is the gray, white, and green wire attached to the relay, then to the antenna? If its the nylon mast cable all you need is a new one, a drill, basic tools, and some RTV and beer.

If you do decide to fix it, I'd install a hidden rocker switch to stop the power from getting to the relay so you can listen to a cd or AUX without the mast going up.
Thanks for the reply. After getting under the car and looking up at the power antenna, I noticed a black wire coming off the power box that is unattatched to anything. Would that possibly be a ground wire?
Old 10-06-2016, 07:48 PM
mcqueen1981
7th Gear

Originally Posted by gbvette62

Thanks. I had an idea I would have to run another antenna wire. Ugh.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:49 PM
mcqueen1981
7th Gear

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Just get a pliers and pull the telescoping antenna up to the height you want. No need to take apart, run new wires or spend any money.

I did this with my 82 and have no reception issue with only 6 inches of antenna showing.

Thanks Bill. Yah I have done that but kinda wanted it to work the way it was intended to.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:57 PM
mcqueen1981
7th Gear

Thanks to Willcoxcorvette for the pic.

The shop manual is a great thing to have for pictures and diagrams.
Thank you for that diagram. Looking up under the car at the antenna there is a single black wire, end bare that is not attached to anything. I can't see anything that it could have been attached to. Could this be a ground wire. Presently there seems to be no power going to the antenna.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:55 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Pics help but it sounds like the black wire is the antenna wire which is thicker than the other wires. Green, white and gray are for antenna and the ground is a bare wire wth no insualtion on it. It looked like copper when new but now it's gray looking.

Mine is a 81 and there are two yellow wires at back of factory radio/harness 1 yellow is radio power with key the other is power antenna

Last edited by spedaleden; 10-06-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:33 PM
mcqueen1981
7th Gear

Originally Posted by spedaleden
Pics help but it sounds like the black wire is the antenna wire which is thicker than the other wires. Green, white and gray are for antenna and the ground is a bare wire wth no insualtion on it. It looked like copper when new but now it's gray looking.

Mine is a 81 and there are two yellow wires at back of factory radio/harness 1 yellow is radio power with key the other is power antenna

This is a thin black wire. The thicker antenna wire is hooked up. I just went out and crawled under and took another look. There is a red,blue and the black wire coming off the power antenna. Looking closer I found the other half of the black wire coming out of the hole that goes into the interior. Both ends of each part bare. I hooked it up. Turned on the car and the radio. Nothing. Check the relay next and what do I look for. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:09 AM
M. Young
Instructor

Here is a pic of what the antenna and ground strap should basically look like. The ground strap attaches to the mast and then to the frame in the same spot the ground wire from the rear lights goes, just above the left muffler. The power wires and antenna wire pass through the car via a rubber grommet. Take out the left hand rear speaker and mount and that's where all these wires connect. Green, grey, and white wires go on to the relay.

At this point pictures would help to figure out whats going on.
Attached Images   
Old 10-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

If you can spare a couple of hours and like to work on your car, replacing the antenna cable is as satisfying as it is economical. The nylon cable comes with instructions. Have a tube of grease to re-lube the inside gears, and the 5 or 6 small nuts and bolts to replace the rivers that drill right out. And, the rest you'll figure out such as wire-brushing the oxidized copper ground strap. The reinstalled original is a much more robust design than the replacements - and it lowers the antenna all the way without the common nub sticking up with many aftermarket replacements. You bought your classic to relive some of the sights and sounds of the C3 in its glory, and the reactivated original power antenna is one of those beautiful sounds.

Regarding your original radio, I had Doctor Don (renown classic radio refurbished in Texas and as honest/capable as the day is long) update my radio with new components (power supply, electronic tuner controller, etc. for a very fair price. Then, I installed a discrete/small, cool-running 300W amp under the radio, and really good front and rear speakers as noted in a previous post (with photos). I couldn't be happier with the entire setup. It started with fixing the original power radio antenna.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:48 AM
mcqueen1981
7th Gear

Here is a pic of what the antenna and ground strap should basically look like. The ground strap attaches to the mast and then to the frame in the same spot the ground wire from the rear lights goes, just above the left muffler. The power wires and antenna wire pass through the car via a rubber grommet. Take out the left hand rear speaker and mount and that's where all these wires connect. Green, grey, and white wires go on to the relay.

At this point pictures would help to figure out whats going on.

Yes see mine doesnt look like that one. Where you have a green and grey wire, I have a red,blue and black wire coming off the unit. I imagine I have a replacement power antenna. I'm just trying to figure out why I dont have power going to it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Power Antenna

Quick Reply: 1981 Power Antenna