Sponsored by:

1972 Information help needed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 1972 Information help needed...

Having purchased a 1972 Corvette Coupe last week, and the day after transferring title (out of state purchase) I left on a 3 month trip, I'm trying to get a format done so I can attack the needed repairs when I get back in the best order. This is my 14th Vette and my 5th C3, but it's been a while since I worked on one. While I've done both "body off" and "body on" restorations, this car will not go thru the full resto route...at least that is the current plan but I know that I have to go thru the rear suspension to find a problem.

What I am looking for now is the proper procedure for checking the rear axle bearings for the clearance, while the control arms are on the car. I can't remember, off hand how to confirm their need of replacement. I remember something about lifting the car and using a dial indicator while pushing the wheel back and forth from the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position to see the movement. Is that still the procedure, and if so, what do you have to remove, or not remove, and from where do you support the car..ie: control arm - chassis - disconnect rear spring lower mount...etc.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi LB 14,
Just opinion here!!!
I think if I was unsure WHEN the rear wheel bearings had last been done and by WHOM, I'd do them as part of a serious restoration of the rear suspension and drive components.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-14-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:30 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi LB 14,
Just opinion here!!!
I think if I was unsure WHEN the rear wheel bearings had last been done and by WHOM, I'd do them as part of a serious restoration of the rear suspension and drive components.
Regards,
Alan
I still need to know how to check them.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:42 AM
jetmech
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LagunaBlue14
Having purchased a 1972 Corvette Coupe last week, and the day after transferring title (out of state purchase) I left on a 3 month trip, I'm trying to get a format done so I can attack the needed repairs when I get back in the best order. This is my 14th Vette and my 5th C3, but it's been a while since I worked on one. While I've done both "body off" and "body on" restorations, this car will not go thru the full resto route...at least that is the current plan but I know that I have to go thru the rear suspension to find a problem.

What I am looking for now is the proper procedure for checking the rear axle bearings for the clearance, while the control arms are on the car. I can't remember, off hand how to confirm their need of replacement. I remember something about lifting the car and using a dial indicator while pushing the wheel back and forth from the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position to see the movement. Is that still the procedure, and if so, what do you have to remove, or not remove, and from where do you support the car..ie: control arm - chassis - disconnect rear spring lower mount...etc.
My manual explains to remove the wheel, caliper, and half shaft. You do not need to remove the flange from the spindle. Then setup your dial indicator at the end of the spindle and move it in and out to check clearance. .001" to .008 is the Generals tolerance. When I rebuilt mine I was told to shoot for .002". I hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 Information help needed...

Quick Reply: 1972 Information help needed...