Sponsored by:

68 turn signal switch.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 04:57 PM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Default 68 turn signal switch.

My right hand turn signal works fine and the left side works but the lever must be held down. I assume this means the turn signal switch is bad. How hard or easy is this switch to change out? Thanks in advance. Rich
Old 11-22-2016, 06:18 PM
rick1025
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It's probably the plastic canceling cam under the steering wheel. Pull the steering wheel and it should be staring right at you.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:22 PM
rick1025
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

See the thread aways down.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:19 AM
azza2u
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Had the same with my 68, a week after I had put in a brand new switch. A tiny bit of plastic that allows the signal to catch snapped off. Wilcox had a replacement turn signal section that you can use to repair yours.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:13 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,296 Likes on 3,921 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Switch and or canceling cam. Both are in expensive and easy to replace and its easier to do bothwhile your in there. Before you pulll the steering wheel, check and see if there is a witness mark to line it back up to center. If not you will want one. Take pictures to ensure you put everything back in the correct order. You can either disconnect the battery which is suggested so you dont blow fuses or listen to the horn during the whole process or you can just unplug the horn. You'll need a steering wheel puller, make sure you thread the bokts all the way in so you dont strip the threads out. Good luck

Some of the crap bubba used for the horn

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 11-23-2016 at 07:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SIXTYTWO (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 08:36 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

if you look at the pic of the switch, you can zoom in and see 2 arms. the arms are what the cancel cam hits to unlock it.It has 2 other detents that hold it in the signaling positon. Once you get it apart to this point you can tell whats broken
Old 01-19-2017, 12:52 PM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers

Switch and or canceling cam. Both are in expensive and easy to replace and its easier to do bothwhile your in there. Before you pulll the steering wheel, check and see if there is a witness mark to line it back up to center. If not you will want one. Take pictures to ensure you put everything back in the correct order. You can either disconnect the battery which is suggested so you dont blow fuses or listen to the horn during the whole process or you can just unplug the horn. You'll need a steering wheel puller, make sure you thread the bokts all the way in so you dont strip the threads out. Good luck

Some of the crap bubba used for the horn
Well I ordered the turn signal switch repair piece as suggested and finally got some time to make the repair today. It came apart pretty easy but for the life of me I couldn't see what was wrong. The part that I expected to be broken looked fine. After staring at things for a wile I finally noticed a tiny broken part but it wasn't on the switch part that moved with the lever it was on the large plastic piece that everything attaches to so it looks like a new switch assembly is in order. What kind of a job is it to replace the whole switch assembly? Rich
Old 01-19-2017, 07:45 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Make sure that you get the made in America switch from Trim Parts. I think that Wilcox sells them, ask. I am on my fourth switch in 44 1/2 years of coupe ownership. This last time, I realized that the long metal steering column wire retainer, under the column, would gently un-clip. Lou.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:12 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

you need to take off the upper and lower trim covers, be careful of the tabs that the screws go in. once those are off you can see the wire and plug. It just unplugs and unlaces out of the column. the switch part has a couple of screw holding it in. take more pics incase you forget something, the horn was harder for me since Bubba wasnt using all the correct parts. And look up under the column before reemoving the cable incase you do have some clips holding the wires

Get notified of new replies

To 68 turn signal switch.

Quick Reply: 68 turn signal switch.