Sponsored by:

Door gap help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 07:17 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
YEP...this is not going to be a problem to close up and get the gap correct. VPA will be able to do this...because I would if your car were in my shop and not think twice about it.

You may want to call me again before you begin...becasue NOW I can see what you called me about....and I want make sure you prep it correctly before you start. And the prep is not making sure the fiberglass is ground on and clean...but rather HOW you grind it is what matters here.

Once again...it is up to you but it might be in your best interests to give me a ring again. This call will not last long.

DUB
Dub
Will call when VPA gets here
Thanks
Wes
Old 02-10-2018, 09:53 AM
\an
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default follow up to your post

Originally Posted by DUB
YEP...this is not going to be a problem to close up and get the gap correct. VPA will be able to do this...because I would if your car were in my shop and not think twice about it.

You may want to call me again before you begin...becasue NOW I can see what you called me about....and I want make sure you prep it correctly before you start. And the prep is not making sure the fiberglass is ground on and clean...but rather HOW you grind it is what matters here.

Once again...it is up to you but it might be in your best interests to give me a ring again. This call will not last long.

DUB
I'm across the pond and have the same issue with fender to door gap at top of door - front edge. Interseted in your post regarding how to grind being the secret to a successful result. I can obtain VPA in the UK but wonder if you could post a guide to acheiving a lasting result with your grinding method. Very little access to helpful guidance in the west country of the UK!
Old 02-10-2018, 10:43 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default Gaps

I showed you a lot of pictures of the door gap process. Yes car should be on the ties sitting on the ground the way it will end up being. VPA should MOSTLY be applied to the front clip. However there may be times where some has to go on the door to achieve success. Back taping allows for the VPA to be applied without falling into the inside. There can also be scenarios where the hinge holes MAY need to be elongated just a touch. Many conversations with Dub and some patience will get you the gaps your looking for. There are a few more steps like not to tight if painting is needed etc. Also getting the dynamics of how to mix and sand VPA depending on weather etc..

RVZIO

The following users liked this post:
\an (02-12-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 10:50 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 530planeman
Alan
Coupe and I am wondering should I add to door or fender to correct?
Thank You
Wes

Add to the door. Adding to the fender brings the fender out and creates another gap problem.

Had the same exact problem on my 70.
\an (02-12-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 11:05 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Not sure Vette Panel adhesive is the best for building up edges in fact I'm pretty sure it's not. I would definitely call and edge of a panel as "structual".

It's not hard to build up edges with fiberglass matt.

I'll let Evercoat explain why it's not the best

DESCRIPTION: Polyester body filler primarily used as a filler on SMC and fiberglass panels. Can also be used as a light duty-bonding adhesive for non-structural repairs such
as backing repair strips and old style fiberglass panels. This non-shrink polyester
body filler helps prevent repair mapping on seam lines over fiberglass.

Will it stick to the edge, obviously. Will it get knocked off if its hit at the right angle, probably. Like I said, better to glass it.
\an (02-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Door gap help