Best powder coat

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 10:12 PM
jbaron
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist

Default Best powder coat

This winter I plan on blasting and powder coating my stock intake manifold. I've seen coated intakes that do not have the burnt areas like painted ones. Any suggestions on the best high temp powder?
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:06 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jbaron
This winter I plan on blasting and powder coating my stock intake manifold. I've seen coated intakes that do not have the burnt areas like painted ones. Any suggestions on the best high temp powder?
Thanks in advance.

I didn't think they had High temp. I guess they might , but my coater just told me he was going to go with a high gloss and its been a on over a year and its been holding up really good!
Old 12-07-2016, 01:02 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Since you have the intake off, anyway, just install the 2 little block-off plates on either side of the crossover channel (under the carb) when you reinstall it. If you don't use the car in very cold weather, you don't need the crossover passage (or the heat riser valve) anyway. Without direct exhaust heat getting to the manifold, it shouldn't burn your new paint job.

P.S. Make sure the painter puts some plugs in the bolt holes so that that thick powder coat paint doesn't restrict bolt installation. Also, you need some unpainted surface where the distributor clamp will contact the manifold. That is the pathway for electrical ground for the ignition system. If you insulate it, there will be no spark....

Last edited by 7T1vette; 12-07-2016 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:51 PM
jbaron
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist

Thanks guys... still wondering if there is a particular brand or type of powder that's best,
Old 12-07-2016, 09:15 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jbaron
Thanks guys... still wondering if there is a particular brand or type of powder that's best,
I've used powders from Powder Buy the Pound, Eastwood, and Prismatic powders and never really had any problems with any of them.

I'm not sure you need a high temp powder. Powder melts and cures at 375 + degrees depending on the brand and type. I've applied second coats in cases where I didn't cover it well enough the first time and never had the first coat blister, burn, or otherwise even seem to be affected. I doubt your intake will get hot enough to scorch cured powder. High temp powders are rated for 600 - 1200 degrees.

MajD
Old 12-07-2016, 11:18 PM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

No need for high temp powder on intake. It's more about the application and what finish (flat, gliss, 2 tone ) and prep.
Be prepared to check/tap any theads or holes BEFORE you install it.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:15 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you don't put the crossover blocking plates in with the intake manifold gaskets, hot exhaust gasses will be blocked by the heat riser valve and forced under the carb. Those gasses are well over 500*F and will easily burn MOST paints. I agree that most powder coat paints are good for at least 500*F, but the blocker plates would guarantee that the manifold paint over that crossover area will not discolor.

And, unless you will be starting your car in sub-zero weather, you don't need the crossover heating anyway. To that end, it's also a good idea to eliminate the heat riser valve (valve plate only, if you want the car to be 'original' looking). Those things do stick closed; and when they do, there is significant engine damage that can occur.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 12-08-2016 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:07 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

As the others have said, powdercoating is fine for the intake. If you want a coating for heat, then go with ceramic coating.

Get notified of new replies

To Best powder coat

Quick Reply: Best powder coat