Sponsored by:

Strut Rod Bushing Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:30 AM
Duffeball
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Strut Rod Bushing Installation

Need some help. I got my hands on some small diameter strut rods for my 68. I bought new bushings. When I went to press them in, I cracked one strut rod and screwed up another bushing.

I'm using a vice and sockets but the press fit is super tight. Is there a better process?

Instead of buying new bushings and getting an old rod, should I just get the repop with the already installed bushings. Has anyone had experience with these?
Old 01-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Kirk H
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Something is definitely not right. When I replaced my bushings, it only takes a hammer and socket, or a vise and socket and they press in without destroying anything, or banging on them with ridiculous force. I have never heard of "small diameter" rods and I'm not sure why they would be different then the intended diameters, unless they are made of a stronger, more bend resistant alloy. I have replace all bushings in my '68 including both sway bars, control arms, and strut rods, and did encounter one bushing that was slightly smaller than the others and refused to go in. I had another one sent out from the vendor and that one fit just like the others. Hope this helps.
Kirk

Quick Reply: Strut Rod Bushing Installation