Sponsored by:

Manta Ray

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 03:05 PM
CoachWSW
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manta Ray

Any Manta Ray body kits available? Blueprints on Manta Ray exist?
Old 03-11-2017, 05:36 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by CoachWSW
Any Manta Ray body kits available? Blueprints on Manta Ray exist?
Sorry,
No kits and no plans, the manta ray show car was what gm turned the mako 2 into,
Gm had millions in theirs,

I have seen one custom built to look like it, at least 100k invested and it looks more like a wild custom than the gm show car...
Old 03-12-2017, 12:57 PM
CoachWSW
Navigator

Thank you! Customs are welcome that resemble or even catch the eye. The proto's are the customs that influence the future styling and options used by others.
Open for looking at alternatives.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:45 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Thank you! Customs are welcome that resemble or even catch the eye. The proto's are the customs that influence the future styling and options used by others.
Open for looking at alternatives.
Keep in mind i have been a person who mods or customizes everything i own,
The batcave is littered with custom junk,
Makos, got two front clips one c2 one c3,

But to build even doing the work yourself a manta ray would be labor intensive, costs high and a project fueled by lots of passion and desire,
where do you trade off, meaning was the 68 production model very much like the 65 mako 2 show car?

Can you afford the zl1 engine, would you even want that, you would have to build everything pretty much from scratch,
The mako kit front clip i have is less like the mako show car than a production 68-72 in many ways,
Start by outlining what are musts for your build then see what it takes to make dream a reality....hope you have deep pockets.

I dont wanna turn sales into a discussion fest perhap get a mod to move thread to general for feedback and talk

Last edited by The13Bats; 03-12-2017 at 08:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CoachWSW (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 01:20 PM
CoachWSW
Navigator

Default Champagne taste with a Beer wallet

I am not wanting to reinvent the wheel nor do I want the hassle of finding donor cars and piecing them out. Some custom work is fantastic as it can really bring things together. Some is audacious and not fit for more than a talking point. To each their own. I am not opposed to the many different things that can be done. Factors like making them fit into not only a budget but also onto a particular body is important.
If I had the funds to get a design team and fabricators it would not be an issue inside or outside of the vehicle.
I have a 2004 Z06 and while I love it my body is not as capable as it once was due to residual weakness in my clutch leg. Short trips in town not good but I manage the open road just fine.
If you have two fronts clips do you have any rear end suggestions? Mako works as well. See I am adaptable to looking at less expensive and definitely less labor intensive.The gauges and interior of new is desired but again I can adapt. I am between Ocala and Gainesville so I can go North or South via I-75 easily.

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Keep in mind i have been a person who mods or customizes everything i own,
The batcave is littered with custom junk,
Makos, got two front clips one c2 one c3,

But to build even doing the work yourself a manta ray would be labor intensive, costs high and a project fueled by lots of passion and desire,
where do you trade off, meaning was the 68 production model very much like the 65 mako 2 show car?

Can you afford the zl1 engine, would you even want that, you would have to build everything pretty much from scratch,
The mako kit front clip i have is less like the mako show car than a production 68-72 in many ways,
Start by outlining what are musts for your build then see what it takes to make dream a reality....hope you have deep pockets.

I dont wanna turn sales into a discussion fest perhap get a mod to move thread to general for feedback and talk
Old 03-13-2017, 02:23 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

OP, is this still a "want to buy" thread or do you want it to be redirected as a discussion?

- please let me know if you want the thread left here as a thread looking for a car, or if you would prefer I'll move it to General discussion.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 03-13-2017 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Asking the thread originator what he would like
CoachWSW (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 04:12 AM
CoachWSW
Navigator

it is a want to buy with discussion since we have members that can speak directly and that can often result in a different want to buy.
I leave it in your capable hands. Not looking to hijack discussions or threads.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:06 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

it is a want to buy with discussion since we have members that can speak directly and that can often result in a different want to buy.
I leave it in your capable hands. Not looking to hijack discussions or threads.
OK, sounds like more discussion than anything, so I'll move this to the General discussion area.

Hope you find one of these incredible cars.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:16 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I posted that a while back,
The gm manta ray show car with a L88 tribut car,
Note how much lower and even a bit wider the manta is,
Look where the stock cars roofline is on the average sized guys compaired to the manta,
And the stock c3 isnt a big car itself...
CoachWSW (03-18-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 06:37 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

The manta ray was a cool looking car. I think it had a tail spoiler that could go up and down. mine is up all the time.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:39 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Wow ,that's a great pic ! I had no idea how different they were. A chopped top Vette !! Love it ,but I'm too tall for one. Thanks !
Old 03-14-2017, 07:33 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

This is my motion silva mako clip, for c3

And my c2 mako ish c3 ish clip

Note how the silva part is almost a cartoon cars movie version of the gm show car and then the c2 clip is slightly more refined and on target with out going too far,

while either could be a manta starting point either would still need a pile of work and still to me be more a custom inspired by the show car not a replica or clone
CoachWSW (03-26-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 06:12 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Here`s a short documentary film about the introduction of the Mako....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIJV...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by oldgto; 03-15-2017 at 06:13 AM.
CoachWSW (03-26-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 11:24 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by oldgto
Here`s a short documentary film about the introduction of the Mako....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIJV...ature=youtu.be
I was a huge fan of the mako 2 and when gm took the one runner driver mako 2 and cannibalize it into the manta ray i was and am still sad about it, many super hard to engineer revolutionary at the time and some still today features of the mako 2 were done away with on the manra ray, lost forever in a way,
Old 03-15-2017, 03:01 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

I agree with you Bats. They only changed it because they changed to the rubber bumpers on the production Corvettes and felt the need to "improve" the original Mako Shark II. Like you said, they lost the originality and made it a lot longer. Too bad that they didn't use the first, non running Mako Shark II to make the Manta Ray. Lou.

Last edited by loup68; 03-15-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:48 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 718 Likes on 518 Posts

Another plus, heavily customized 'Vettes often sell real cheap because purists don't want them.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:27 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
Another plus, heavily customized 'Vettes often sell real cheap because purists don't want them.

Makos, i wish,
Purists are the minorty now with c3, unless basket case a running driving mako rebody fetch tall dollars, compared to the stock version of the car its made on, one of the motion documented makos was just shy of 1/2 a million, but most finished ones are between 25-75k...i know of one with title vin issues, basketcase 10k,

On the flip side of the coin many basket case customs are cheap and sell fast i dont get it because if stock people would run....
Old 03-26-2017, 02:11 PM
CoachWSW
Navigator

Default Thanks!

Thank you Bats! Both are very appealing. Now to find a donor car and a rear Mako or Manta rear body.
You have taken time and effort to teach/inform me so much in just a few posts. Awesome.

Originally Posted by The13Bats
This is my motion silva mako clip, for c3

And my c2 mako ish c3 ish clip

Note how the silva part is almost a cartoon cars movie version of the gm show car and then the c2 clip is slightly more refined and on target with out going too far,

while either could be a manta starting point either would still need a pile of work and still to me be more a custom inspired by the show car not a replica or clone

Get notified of new replies

To Manta Ray

Quick Reply: Manta Ray