Sponsored by:

I could never sell this car.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:25 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Being upside down on a 35 plus year old Corvette is to be expected as this is a hobby and not an investment vehicle.

As for things not working, needing fixed, rusted Etc. that's why I always seem to go the frame off restoration route because after its complete you will know the car front to rear.

A frame off restoration is not for everyone due to the cost and labor involved nor is it always required. A tired Vette can be whipped back into shape with a little TLC and elbow grease.

Knowledge is king and while you have the internet for information there is no substitute for book knowledge. Hit up eBay and find a Motor Manual for your year car.

BTW, my go to manuals for anything C2/C3 chassis related is the 65 Motor Manual, 64-71 Chilton Manual #5974 and the 1974 Chevrolet Shop Manual. I use the GM assembly manual for anything body or interior related. Electrical diagrams are a crap shoot as some are better than others when trying to read a reproduced copy.

Dennis

Last edited by Mr D.; 03-26-2017 at 04:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
crawfish333 (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 09:09 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Thanks Mr. D. I was completely aware that I would be underwater with this car. Maybe I paid a little more than I should have for the car, but now that is water under the bridge. I was prepared to spend money on the car, but I am finding out it is more than I anticipated. I am sure it happens to everyone. Because the car has so many original and usable parts I decided to refurbish rather than do a full blown restoration. Maybe that was not the right call but it is too late now. As far as the manuals, I have the Chevrolet Chassis Manual, the Chevrolet Shop Manual and the AIM. I also have found that the Paragon catalog is also an excellent source of drawings and part numbers. Having said that, my engine is in excellent shape and at least right now runs like a top and all of the oil leaks have been sealed, so there is that. (not going to say how much it cost me to get it that way though )

I did like Bats suggested and took my other Vette out Saturday for a cruise and that helped a lot. I was just frustrated on Saturday because I was fixing one thing on the C3 and I found 2 more problems. At least I am getting to know my car, every nook and cranny.

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Being upside down on a 35 plus year old Corvette is to be expected as this is a hobby and not an investment vehicle.

As for things not working, needing fixed, rusted Etc. that's why I always seem to go the frame off restoration route because after its complete you will know the car front to rear.

A frame off restoration is not for everyone due to the cost and labor involved nor is it always required. A tired Vette can be whipped back into shape with a little TLC and elbow grease.

Knowledge is king and while you have the internet for information there is no substitute for book knowledge. Hit up eBay and find a Motor Manual for your year car.

BTW, my go to manuals for anything C2/C3 chassis related is the 65 Motor Manual, 64-71 Chilton Manual #5974 and the 1974 Chevrolet Shop Manual. I use the GM assembly manual for anything body or interior related. Electrical diagrams are a crap shoot as some are better than others when trying to read a reproduced copy.

Dennis
Old 03-27-2017, 12:06 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Contrary to what you may have been thinking, rebuilding and refurbishing any original parts on the car IS the way to go. The quality of the original parts was many times better than what is on the aftermarket these days. And you can rebuild almost every accessory on the car.

One important manual that is missing from your list (a good list, BTW) is the Chevrolet Chassis Overhaul Manual. It has all the detail for the disassembly, repair and reassembly of the major and intermediate components in the car: engine, trans, diff, starter, P/S components, A/C compressor, alternator, carbs, etc. etc. You can rebuild ALL of these for MUCH less money than buying today's JUNK...AND you will still have working, original components.

Same is true with interior work. Unless heavily damaged, most interior panels, etc can be repaired and recolored. When done, you have original interior parts that look new; and compared to the cost of replacing the interior, you got it done for 'chump change'.

Revise your thinking and use what you already have. It can be done.

Car has 216K miles on it: original engine, (original trans still functional but removed for 700-R4), almost all original interior pieces...even the seatcovers [rebuilt].

Last edited by 7T1vette; 03-27-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Here are a few shots of the car and particularly the engine and under hood work done so far. I have replaced the tires since these pictures were taken because the ones in the picture were 15 years old. These are just driveway shots and not "glamor shots," but it will give you an idea. I have not taken any pictures of the interior yet, but it is pretty nice. I have a stock AM/FM stereo and new Bezel waiting to install. My next project will include getting trailing arms rebuilt, new Gardner exhaust. After that, the leaf spring will be disassembled, media blasted and recoated as per new standard, and the differential will have the same treatment, along with new U-Joints for the short shafts. (I already did the main drive shaft U-joints.) I also need to remove aftermarket undercoating from the frame and repaint as much of the frame as possible with the body attached. I hope to have a high quality paint job applied after the above is done, but it will probably 2018.

[QUOTE=Rescue Rogers;1594385919]Post some pics of her for us, Congrats on your victory.
Attached Images      
Old 03-27-2017, 10:54 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333
Here are a few shots of the car and particularly the engine and under hood work done so far.

My next project will include getting trailing arms rebuilt, new Gardner exhaust.

After that, the leaf spring will be disassembled, media blasted and recoated as per new standard, and the differential will have the same treatment, along with new U-Joints for the short shafts. (I already did the main drive shaft U-joints.) I also need to remove aftermarket undercoating from the frame and repaint as much of the frame as possible with the body attached.

I hope to have a high quality paint job applied after the above is done, but it will probably 2018.
Crawfish

That Vette looks great

If there is nothing wrong with your trailing arms than I would not rebuild them until you do everything at once. Why take everything apart twice.

On a side note once you have the T/A, read end, crossmember, spring ETC remove the whole rear body and frame area is open to cleaning and painting.

I would be proud if my 71 had your current paint job.

Last edited by Mr D.; 03-27-2017 at 10:55 AM.
crawfish333 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:23 AM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

Agree with 7T1Vette whole-heartedly!
It's all about attitude.
As an engineer, and a bit of an OCD, it's hard for me to live with the fact that there is a long - and growing - list of things that need fixing on my C3.
Part of me wants everything to be working as it should. And then, to some degree, looking as it should also.
I am still in the process of "learning to deal" with the adjustment of my attitude that this is a long term work-in-progress, and that it'll never, really be "done"!
I do enjoy working on it, and get great pleasure out of fixing stuff, and bringing it functionally back to snuff.
But it is a challenge, knowing that it is sitting there in the garage with stuff like:
1) Rear alignment shims that need re-packing and re-aligning
2) A sluggish driver door lock mechanism (and door slam)
3) A lack of a spare (and a bare jack compartment)
etc. etc. etc.
Key for me, is to prioritize the list, with highest priority on the safety-related items that prevent it from being driven.
Then work your way to the drive-ability items, and so on.

Venting can be therapeutic.
But remember why you jumped into this pool in the first place.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:37 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333
First off, I will say that I have no intention no selling my car, but if I did I would probably scare anyone off that wanted to buy it. Why? Because now that I have owned to the car for 7 months, I have managed to find so many little (and a few big) flaws that the previous owner omitted. Some of these I have fixed already, like oil leaking out of every gasket on the motor and the radiator having about 10 tiny holes in it. But every time I work on the car, I find more minor aggravating issues. Now the previous owner was a physician and definitely not a car guy. I hope these omissions were through ignorance, but I must admit that being someone who actually wants a near perfect car, (I know that will never happen but I still hope for it) these little things are driving me nuts. I am already upside down on the car (more than I will admit to my wife) and I still have a lot of stuff to fix. Bottom line, I guess I am just venting, but it is pretty frustrating. As far as ever selling the car, I would be too honest not to mention everything I want fixed to any prospective buyer including the 2 bolts that I need changed on the interior. Anyway, I guess I am learning a lot about owning an old car, and it is an expensive lesson. Luckily, I have no plans to sell the car.
For whats it worth I'll just say if you feel a little misled after the purchase of your Corvette it happens. But you own a classic and with the people associated with this forum anything can be fixed or modified and you'll have fun doing it. So things cost a bit more than expected but it's only money and you can't take it you, but I understand shielding the wife from any nausea.
I purchased a 1970 Coupe, I'm not a mechanic but I have mechanical skills, yes I found way more than I'd like to admit, things that others probably would have or did shy away from but thats Ok, I've learned more about how a car works & Corvettes than I knew before and it's a blast, gonna cost me, but it's still a blast.

Be patient and do what you can a step at a time, and take a lot of pictures of everything dealing with the car.

70' Coupe 350/300 A/C PW AT

Old 03-30-2017, 07:41 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Gee, now that I see your car, wanna trade ? Very nice.
crawfish333 (03-31-2017)

Quick Reply: I could never sell this car.