C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Speed Reverse lockout problem!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 04:01 PM
kdlp
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Default 4 Speed Reverse lockout problem!?!?

I'm trying to reassemble my (original equipment) 4 spd shifter on my '81. I have all the linkage cleaned up and lined up, but I can't remember how the reverse lockout shaft reassembles.

The shaft fits down the middle of the shifter handle (it has the T attached) and the lower end of the shaft should lock into the lower shifter pieces and allow the 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th shafts to operate. For whatever reason, I'm not getting there.

The lower shifter pieces have been cleaned and greased and I'm guessing that there's a procedure for reassembly that's specific to this reverse lockout shaft. My Assembly Manual and the Shop Manual address the linkage alignment, but not the reverse lockout.

Anyone know of an exploded drawing that might show this or maybe an assembly guide? If it matters, this is on a Borg-Warner trans not the ealier Munice.

I was thinking about replacing the whole thing with the Hurst, but what I'd really like to do is get the old one working and save my $$$ for a Keisler.

Thanks for any advise.

kdlp
Old 06-09-2005, 04:17 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ony thing I can think of is your adjustment is still a little off. The lockout shaft should drop into the hole provided by slots in the top of the shifter cams. If you not truly in neutral, it won't drop in. Did you use the shifter adj. tool to reference neutral?
http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/prod...8F02C42E22BF3C
Old 06-09-2005, 04:54 PM
kdlp
Pro

No, not that tool specifically, but basically an old screw driver that happens to fit the slot in the shifter levers very closely. Pending any other ideas I guess I'll rock those levers around (especially that inside one) some more and see if I can't hit the hole.

I could tell by the way that the lockout rod was sitting in the shift handle that it wasn't fully seated (by about a 1/4 inch.) I noticed a screw/bolt on the transmission side of the shifter mount that sits at about where the lockout shaft should end... does that have any bearing on anything?

Thanks,

kp
Old 06-09-2005, 05:30 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

I think the bolt your referring to is a depth stop to prevent the lever from moving too far over. Working from memory here cause I'm at work. When I get home in a little bit I can eyeball my shifter as it's out of the car along with just about everything else driveline related.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:50 PM
kdlp
Pro

Yep, you're right... just went and checked. Plus it's welded in place.

And I just discovered another piece from the cotainer I had the shifter in. It's a small diameter shaft about 4 inches long with right angle bends, both in the same direction. I'd guess the diameter of th shaft to be about 1/16 of an inch. At the end of both bends is a groove that retaining washers lock into. (Still has the retainers attached.) Damn, I don't remember that thing at all....

Am doing a frame off and am starting to wonder of that last piece got into the wrong container.....

And ya, I would appreciate you taking a look when you get a chance....

kdlp
Old 06-09-2005, 11:01 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Your mystery rod sounds like the reverse switch rod which connects the reverse cam to the switch with 2 retaining washers/clips. I'm pretty sure your reverse cam is a little out of wack which is causing your problem. The Haynes manual has a diagram of the lockout tool which can really be made easily out of sheet metal or plastic. I made one out of an old credit card one time when I couldn't find my good one. I think once you've got the cams lined up right your troubles will dissappear.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:38 PM
kdlp
Pro

Sorry for the late come back here.... I can't access the web at work and I'm sneaking a peak here on my break. I do know a guy who has the Haynes book, I'll check that out...

Regarding the mystery rod...and the connection to the "switch" where is that switch located?

Thanks,

kdlp

Get notified of new replies

To 4 Speed Reverse lockout problem!?!?

Quick Reply: 4 Speed Reverse lockout problem!?!?