C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now an exhuat question......

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 10:04 PM
pra4sun
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Now an exhuat question......

I was out measuring for new mufflers. I removed one of the generic turbo mufflers and measured the end of the exhaust pipe, before it enters the muffler. I came up with 2.5 inches.

Now, I've gone and looked at all of the Super Turbo and Ultra Flo muffler sizes at Summit, and most all of them have a 2.5 inch inlet. Out of the hundreds of models, they have one that measures 2.75 inches. They have some 3" models, but I would think that would be too large. I tried to measure the inlet/outlet of the old muffler, but they are too rusty to be accurate.

Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question, but is 2.5" outlet exhaust a rarity? Or is my measurement off?
Old 06-10-2005, 09:14 AM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 164 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

NO your measurement of 2.5" is spot on. It should be 2.5"

Unless you are after the ricer coffee fart can exhaust

Making it louder doesn't neccessarily mean faster. Are you using equal length headers tuned for the rpm where you will be wanting peak performance and running at constantly?

Don
Old 06-10-2005, 10:36 AM
pra4sun
Racer

Originally Posted by vetsvette2002
NO your measurement of 2.5" is spot on. It should be 2.5"

Unless you are after the ricer coffee fart can exhaust

Making it louder doesn't neccessarily mean faster. Are you using equal length headers tuned for the rpm where you will be wanting peak performance and running at constantly?

Don
No, I'm not looking for a fart can, just the nice deep growl of a V8.
I have the stock factory exhaust manifolds (not sure if they can be considered headers) with aftermarket straight-through 2.5" dual exhaust.

I've decided that the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers will do the job, it's just that most of them have 2.5" inlets, the same size as the exhaust. My problem is finding a muffler that fits. Many years ago, I went to an auto parts store and bought some cheap generic turbo mufflers. I don't recall having much of a fit problem, and I don't remember flaring them out to make them fit. I just want to buy the correct size so the question is:

What mufflers are people using on 2.5" exhaust, and what is the correct inlet size?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:48 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

I see the source of your confusion. When the specs are called out at 2.5 inlet, it generally means the inlet has been flared to accept 2.5 pipe. It's not really 2.5.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:56 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 164 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

USUALLY
the inlet is sized to the ID or in this case 2,5" ID (Inside Diameter), the Corvette muffler outlet would be sized as 2.0" OD (Outside Diameter).

If you have the resources and the time, get either the stainless steel or the aluminized pipes from Allen's, get the quality mufflers, and have a reputable shop fit and weld the system together on the vehicle. No leaks and perfect alignment.
Don

Get notified of new replies

To Now an exhuat question......

Quick Reply: Now an exhuat question......