C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dart Pro I's, Hedman Headers, Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 07:52 PM
vettenoir
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dart Pro I's, Hedman Headers, Spark Plugs

I'm looking at switching my Iron Eagles for a set of Pro I's. One of the reasons for the switch is that there is very little clearance between the plugs and the headers. Any advice on whether to go with straight plugs, or angle plugs? I have angle plugs in the Iron Eagles.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 06-25-2005, 10:49 PM
tallgirl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Hedman headers and had no trouble using 90o plugs. Or am I missing something?

Only problem I did have was mechanic routed the wires funky and two of them burned up. So today was spent replacing the wires and rerunning them, complete with brackets to hold them in place.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:08 PM
vettenoir
Racer

Do you have Dart Pro I cylinder heads also? Each make/model of cylinder head has the spark plug in a slightly different position and orientation. The car originally had a ZZ3 crate motor in it. There were no spark plug clearance problems at all with the Hedman headers bolted to the ZZ3 cylinder heads.

Bob
Old 06-26-2005, 12:01 AM
tallgirl
Instructor

No, it's a ZZ4 with whatever heads came with that.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:16 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a pretty radical solution to your problem!

Have you tried the Accel shorty spark plugs, which were specifically designed for this situation? And if you don't already have a set of wires with 90 degree plug boots, get em!
Old 06-26-2005, 01:46 PM
vetteaddic
Burning Brakes

I have Dart Pro 1 on my sb with hookers ,the heads are angle plugs and I can get to them better than my old rpm edel with angle plugs.
The plugs on Darts are pointed downward at an angle,since you have Heddmans this dosnt help you much.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:16 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

The only thing I can see that angled plug heads seem to do is angle the plugs ( at least one or two ) into the header pipes. I have had two sets and I just recently had to pay 200 bucks to get new Hooker SC modified to clear the #6 plug.

If you can, take you headers with spark plugs to the speed shop and test fit on the heads you are buying that is the only way to know for sure if they will fit.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:27 PM
vettenoir
Racer

Originally Posted by page62
That's a pretty radical solution to your problem!

Have you tried the Accel shorty spark plugs, which were specifically designed for this situation? And if you don't already have a set of wires with 90 degree plug boots, get em!
I've been using the Accel shorty plugs with the iron eagles. I've heard that NGK makes much better shorty plugs, although I have yet to try them.

I am using 90 deg. boots and have become an expert in building my own wires as I have been through several sets from switching distributors (to/from HEI), switching timing control in the C950 software and burning the wire near the boot from header heat. Helpful hint: To prevent burning the wires near the boot, get a 2nd set of boots, slit them and slip them over the wire behind the actual plug boot. I haven't burrned a wire since doing this.

Spark plug interference is just one of the reasons for switching heads. I'm looking for better local cooling in the head (The CR is 10.3:1), knocking 50+lbs off the front end of the car, and of course more power.

I desktop dyno'd my combo with ported Dart Pro I 215's and an Edelbrock Performer RPM and it showed a pretty healthy increase in torque and power right across the power band from 2500 - 6000rpm. I was surprised that when I tried switching to 1.6 ratio rockers in the software to feed the bigger runners, it actually showed a decrease in torque and power across the power band.

Hopefully the guy I'm getting the heads from can come up with a set that I can bolt the headers to so I check the interference as Motorhead suggested. He said he may be able to locate a set.

Bob
Old 06-27-2005, 12:09 AM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

you have a PM

Get notified of new replies

To Dart Pro I's, Hedman Headers, Spark Plugs

Quick Reply: Dart Pro I's, Hedman Headers, Spark Plugs