C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 09:13 PM
GM RIDES
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 Heater Core

I Need Help On Changing A Heater Core In My 1976 Corvette With Air. What All Will I HAVE To Remove To Replace The Core
Old 08-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

It has to come out from the inside...

i believe on your year, that the right and center dash need to be removed then just dig in...

this might help...
Old 08-29-2005, 01:20 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GM RIDES
I Need Help On Changing A Heater Core In My 1976 Corvette With Air. What All Will I HAVE To Remove To Replace The Core
I had my dash out last summer while I installed carpet and insulation. I figured that while I was in there, I'd pull the heater core out too. Wow I think it doubled the teardown time! But anyway, you need to pull the console, center dash and right side dash portions to get the heater box outta the way.

Big hint: Before you reinstall the heater box assy, spend 20 bux on a reseal kit for it. I put all new foam seals in my whole A/C system and now, it blows about twice the amount of air it did previously.

In fact, I had already installed a new compressor, hoses, POA valve, and evaporator core just before pulling the dash. The A/C blew cold but never enough air. Now that I have resealed the vents and such, the system never needs to stay on HIGH for long.

As for the heater core, you need to get the whole box out of the dash. You'll find it buried in there and tricky to get out. Don't damage your evaporator core with the heater connections as you pull it.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:22 PM
ajstr1265
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to remove the right side lower dash, the center dash bezel then remove the cover. The hoses connect under the car. It took me about 3 hours...and I was not rushing to get it done. Just take your time and don't force anything
Old 08-30-2005, 08:51 AM
Vette Gator
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it easier to replace the evaporator when the heater core is out? My AC system is pretty badly buggered up and I expect that I will have to replace pretty much everything.

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 Heater Core

Quick Reply: 1976 Heater Core