C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock intake Vs aftermarket highrise

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 01:58 PM
69/03vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stock intake Vs aftermarket highrise

The 69 427/390hp car i recently purchased has an aftermarket holley carb and high rise intake. The car also has an aftermarket L88 style hood with a piece on top of that. I have the original stock aluminum intake and carb. I want to purchase a correct big block hood, but if i do that i need to convert back to the original intake and carb. My question is how much extra power does a high rise actually give you?
Old 10-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Entropy
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

From what I have read, high rise intakes are great for upper rpm power, but may sacrafice some low end power for that. What kind of a cam is in the car? By switching to a low rise intake, you may be choking the top end (and perhaps more powerful end) of the cam. If you do switch, you may want to swap the cam out as long as you're at it to match your induction needs.

trw
Sorry I can't give you a solid number.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:39 PM
69/03vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 72 stingray owner
From what I have read, high rise intakes are great for upper rpm power, but may sacrafice some low end power for that. What kind of a cam is in the car? By switching to a low rise intake, you may be choking the top end (and perhaps more powerful end) of the cam. If you do switch, you may want to swap the cam out as long as you're at it to match your induction needs.

trw
Sorry I can't give you a solid number.
As far as I know its the stock cam but I will be rebuilding the motor and putting in a roller cam. So I guess I can make it whatever it need to be.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:54 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Then no way I'd go back to a stock intake. You can give up 40+ hp easily by going from a good intake back stock.

The L-88 hood looks killer and a serious motor under it will just be killer.. Let's do it!!

JIM
Old 10-12-2005, 05:03 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent 20 min. on the phone with their tech. dept. last week. I asked them how the came up with the hp ratings on their Vic. Jr. heads. I was told at the time of purchase that they would make good street/strip heads. They lie...lol. The hp ratings on these heads were derived using 13.5:1 compression rario. Some street heads....They are just pushing parts, IMO
Old 10-12-2005, 05:14 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69/70vette
The 69 427/390hp car i recently purchased has an aftermarket holley carb and high rise intake. The car also has an aftermarket L88 style hood with a piece on top of that. I have the original stock aluminum intake and carb. I want to purchase a correct big block hood, but if i do that i need to convert back to the original intake and carb. My question is how much extra power does a high rise actually give you?
Do you want to sell you aftermarket intake??? I need a high rise
intake, and have a original one for you.

Get notified of new replies

To stock intake Vs aftermarket highrise

Quick Reply: stock intake Vs aftermarket highrise