C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evercoat Panel Adhesive Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Old Mo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Evercoat Panel Adhesive Help

Following Lars paper to do glass repairs and paint to my 77 vette. The FRP panel adhesive he uses is no longer available from Evercoat. When I called them they said it had been discontinued. They recommended to use 3M-8115 to bond the panels and fill the rest of the grove with there VETTE PANEL ADHESIVE/FILLER for SMC and Fiberglass Panels.
On the front fenders and both rear quarters there were double lines showing the adhesive joint. I have ground out the old adhesive material and want to fill this grove. I am ready to fill in the joint but would like some input from the forum members. Should I use this VETTE PANEL ADHESIVE/FILLER they recommend or is there another product out there I should be using? (Evercoat tech department said not to use this to bond the panels together but it was ok to fill the grove with it)
Old 11-30-2005, 06:01 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Mo
Following Lars paper to do glass repairs and paint to my 77 vette. The FRP panel adhesive he uses is no longer available from Evercoat. When I called them they said it had been discontinued. They recommended to use 3M-8115 to bond the panels and fill the rest of the grove with there VETTE PANEL ADHESIVE/FILLER for SMC and Fiberglass Panels.
On the front fenders and both rear quarters there were double lines showing the adhesive joint. I have ground out the old adhesive material and want to fill this grove. I am ready to fill in the joint but would like some input from the forum members. Should I use this VETTE PANEL ADHESIVE/FILLER they recommend or is there another product out there I should be using? (Evercoat tech department said not to use this to bond the panels together but it was ok to fill the grove with it)
That is what we use. Works fine, but has a short shelf life once the can is opened. Mix well, try not to get air pockets, as this product is thick. G/L
Old 11-30-2005, 06:02 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Old Mo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ; big_G

I am sure I will have many questions before I get this thing done.
I am going to use Evercoat Poly-flex on the rubber bumpers, will use directions but is there any tricks to the application?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:59 PM
VETTEVIC
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM recommends "Fusor" 127EZ or similar and this is in thier repair manual and training manual for thier dealers. You can get it through Sherwin Williams auto products division either on line or ordered locally through your store. It comes in a 2 tube canister and you need the applicator gun for it (about $40 for the gun). Check the fusor web site at (lord.com) and look around, it lists the GM ref numbers when it applies to thier products. Its not cheap but its easy to use, has a long working time, high temp resistant, and with the gun is a snap to apply just like using a caulking gun.
vic
Old 11-30-2005, 09:34 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Mo
Thanks ; big_G

I am sure I will have many questions before I get this thing done.
I am going to use Evercoat Poly-flex on the rubber bumpers, will use directions but is there any tricks to the application?
We don't usually repair rubber covers, so I am not able to help on that one...
Old 12-01-2005, 11:52 AM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Some general comments.

Fusor is recommended to bond metal or fiberglass panels together. I am not sure it is recommended for a finish filler/topcoat.

Ecklers repair manuals recommend grinding down the seam and placing 3 layers of fiberglass mat over the seam. This is certainly more work, but I have done it, and it works great.

Get notified of new replies

To Evercoat Panel Adhesive Help

Quick Reply: Evercoat Panel Adhesive Help