C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash light problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 11:49 PM
1ky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash light problems

I have recently purchased a 1982 corvette. The lighter, dome, and dash lights do not work. I installed a 7.5 fuse but it blows whenever the headlight switch is pulled out. Is the dome and lighter on the same fuse as the dash lights? The fuse block script is hard to make out. Could this be a bad headlight switch? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ky
I have recently purchased a 1982 corvette. The lighter, dome, and dash lights do not work. I installed a 7.5 fuse but it blows whenever the headlight switch is pulled out. Is the dome and lighter on the same fuse as the dash lights? The fuse block script is hard to make out. Could this be a bad headlight switch? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
7.5 seems awful small. Is that 7.5 amps? Is that what it calls for? I would try a 20 amp and see what it does...jmo
Old 01-18-2006, 12:23 AM
1ky
Intermediate

Yes 7.5 amps. That is what was in it. It is hard to see the amp size on the fuse block. I wish I had a photo of a new fuse block to go by. Thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Interior lights and cig. lighter are on the same circuit and they have to have a 20 amp fuse. Make sure there is nothing down in the cig. lighter hole like a coin or a piece of gum wrapper tinfoil. I've seen both of these blow fuses over and over.
Good luck,
Greg
Old 01-18-2006, 01:47 AM
1ky
Intermediate

Thanks Greg. What about the dash lights? Same circuit? Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:08 AM
palazzopl
Pro

if you send me your email address I will send you a picture of the fuse block and the wiring diagram for an 81, I'm pretty sure there the same..prissyo@aol.com...MIKE
Old 01-19-2006, 01:40 AM
1ky
Intermediate

Default Dash light problem

I have recently purchased a 1982 corvette. The dash lights do not work. I installed a 7.5 fuse in the inst lps slot but it blows whenever the headlight switch is pulled out. Could this be a bad headlight switch? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:16 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Could be any number of things. I looked in my manual. The Inst lps fuse works in sync with a number of circuits...i.e. wipers, radio,inst lights,etc.

It could be the switch. Its a good place to start since this triggers the fuse. FWIW. The headlight switch is two parts one side turns the headlights on and the other dims the interior lights. The dimmer part usually goes.

I had a similar problem. The cause was an after market radio sliced into the circuit.

I would out rule any aftermarket additions first. Look for wires spliced in.

Go buy a bunch of fuses. Process of elimination. Try it with the radio off. Try it with the dimmer at full on and all off. Try it with the car on and the car off. Etc etc.

This site is dedicated to the 1982... http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/
You will find diagrams there.
Jim

Last edited by jdp6000; 01-19-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:46 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Greg
Interior lights and cig. lighter are on the same circuit and they have to have a 20 amp fuse. Make sure there is nothing down in the cig. lighter hole like a coin or a piece of gum wrapper tinfoil. I've seen both of these blow fuses over and over.
Good luck,
Greg

Put in a 20A...7.5A is way low for that cluster...easy first, difficult later...
Old 01-21-2006, 03:19 AM
Steve COSD
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From the Corvette shop manual.

Instrument lamps 7.5 amp
This is listed on the fuse box as INST LPS
This fuse controls only the Instrument lamps

Clock, Lighter, Courtesy, Glove box, Dome, Power Antenna, A/C compressor, and Power door Locks. 20 amp
This is listed on the fuse box as CTSY_CLK

You may have more than one problem. I would install a new Light switch. It has something in common with both circuits. It turns on the instrument lamps and dims or brightens the instrument lamps as you turn the **** clock or counter clockwise.

It also controls the dome and courtesy lights.

The internal contacts in the light switch get sloppy and this is what causes the fuse to blow.

I would treat the lighter as a separate issue. It may be your second problem.

All this info and diagrams are in the Corvette Shop Manual 1982 Corvette with the numbers St-364-82 This book is expensive but it is the best for the 82.

Good Luck!!
Steve
Old 01-21-2006, 06:38 AM
1ky
Intermediate

Default Cranks but won't hit?????

My 1982 Vette will not run without adding gas to the throttle bodies. Whenever the motor is cranking, gas is only dripping into the throttle bodies. Shouldn't it be spraying in? Where should I begin? Thank you for your time
Old 01-21-2006, 09:30 PM
justkddn
Heel & Toe

the 7.5 fuse is correct for the dash lights.this is for dash lights only.this is after the headlight switch dimmer. it is apearant that you have a shorted dash light circuit.look for a rubbed through wire.this is in the console or the dash.the wire color is light grey.again do not raise the amp on the fuse this will result in burnt up dimmer switch. good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Dash light problems

Quick Reply: Dash light problems