C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter "clicks" but does not turn over sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Q's 68
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter "clicks" but does not turn over sometimes - Update

Based on some suggestions, I finally got around to putting in the shim on my rebuilt NAPA starter. It seemed to do a little good and the starter will normally crank on the first try. However, it still sometimes does not turn over and all I get is that annoying "click" sound in the starter. It's not the starter grinding or anything like that but a very audible "click" sound in the solenoid.

Could I have to throw a second shim in there to correct this problem? It's a brand new "remanufactured" starter and when it turns, it turns strong and fires right up.

What do you guys thing?

Last edited by Q's 68; 05-30-2006 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-27-2006, 11:39 AM
mdj21
Racer

is it a metal grinding type click or more of a tapping sound? does the starter spin at all when you hear the clicking?

sounds like it could be your starter solenoid. it's either going bad or not getting enough juice.

check the voltage at your solenoid with a meter when you try to crank the engine and it is acting up. if it's good, replace the solenoid.

hope this helps,

Mike.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:55 AM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdj21
is it a metal grinding type click or more of a tapping sound? does the starter spin at all when you hear the clicking?

sounds like it could be your starter solenoid. it's either going bad or not getting enough juice.

check the voltage at your solenoid with a meter when you try to crank the engine and it is acting up. if it's good, replace the solenoid.

hope this helps,

Mike.

sounds like your low on juice, or the solenoid is starting to go on you.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:09 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

About the only thing that will do that is a solenoid, it is part of the starter assy. Remove the starter and disassemble it. Clean the sol contacts up with a light filing and reassemble it. Make sure the connection between the starter and the soleniod is good and clean. It is a short copper strap extending from the body of the starter and screwed to the inboard contact on the solenoid. I have fixed a bunch of them this way. Might as well clean it and paint it whilt it is out. Easy stuff, disconnect the battery pos before you start.
Good Luck
Old 04-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Q's 68
Racer

If that's the case, I'll just take it back and exchange it. It's a brand new starter (ok, it's rebuilt) but I got the lifetime warranty from NAPA.

Thanks, guys
Old 04-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Check for weak batter, corroded connections (including the ground) first.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:47 PM
gonzo14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Q's 68
Would this mean that the starter gear is misaligned? My original starter did not have the shim installed. I was thinking of maybe installing the shim to see if this corrects the problem.

It doesn't happen all the time, but every now and then, I get the "click" when I turn the key. After a try or two, she fires right up.
I have a 68 that had the same exact problem. I even posted the question my self on this site, it ended up being a starter rebuild. The field coils were pulled and found them taped together in one spot, thus causing the intermittent starts. I checked everything, battery, alternator, etc, etc, etc...did all kinds of voltage testing. rebuilding the starter is cheaper that replacing the battery----$40 for me!! and he blasted it and repainted also!!! Looks like a show starter and in the original '68 casing!!! IT starts like a brand new car now, never a problem. AND my battery is a ac delco that is over 5 years old!!! ALternator is original. Nothing modifyed on my car. Hope this helps since I had the exact same problem--sometimes you get a click, or clunk noise, and sometimes it would turn over very slow---which means field coil or armature problem.

Gonzo
Old 04-27-2006, 03:20 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Q's 68
Would this mean that the starter gear is misaligned? My original starter did not have the shim installed. I was thinking of maybe installing the shim to see if this corrects the problem.

It doesn't happen all the time, but every now and then, I get the "click" when I turn the key. After a try or two, she fires right up.
A SHIM might be just what you need. It definately can cause what you are describing. It's worth a shot. NAPA rebuilt starters are usually pretty good.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:28 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

I was having starter promblems with my 70,put a high torque starter and Optima battery.Even when the car is hot it cranks right up.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:18 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

I would check the battery connections first. clean the terminals and the connectors.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Q's 68
Racer

I'll give it a look over tonight. I'm thinking that the shim may do it because it cranks hard when it finally engages. Much better than the original starter. It does sound like the small gear is hitting out of alignment and when it finally moves a bit, it slips right in and does the job. Of course, it can't hurt to check juice and all connections.

Thanks for the input, guys.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:24 PM
jrslaughter
Intermediate

I had a '67 Mustang that would occassionally not start like that. I did a starter rebuild and it came good. I guess there was a dead spot on the armature and the rebuild cleared it up. There are of course a bazillion things that would cause a starter to do that but if your starter is original and hasn't been rebuilt it might need it. I would try cleaning the contacts at the starter and battery first then a rebuild. A rebuild isn't hard to do If you're mechanically inclined and it doesn't require any special tools. On a 1 to 10 difficulty scale, I'd give it a 3 or 4.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Q's 68
Racer

Ttt
Old 05-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Driftwood
Racer

I agree with others-- check voltage, then suspect solenoid, then maybe a dead spot on the armature, then maybe a weak battery. If you suspect the battery-- one easy test is to connect a battery charger and see if it clears the problem.

If it is a bad spot on the starter-- sometimes you can tap the starter with a hammer to move it off the dead spot and try to start it again to see if it helps.

Another less likely culprit is a ground. I bought a Harley once that always started hard, and sometimes not at all. I eventually found that the wire to the solenoid was pinched and touching the frame. So whenever I hit the starter circuit, most of the current was going straight to ground and this made the actuation of the solenoid coil very marginal.

I doubt this is your problem, but if everything else checks out you have to start looking at less obvious things like this.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I had two starters do the same thing to me ing on them worked about half the time. It turned out to be bad spots on the armetures in both cases. One of those starters was a fairly new Delco rebuilt

Another thing to check is the engine to frame ground (It will be either a cable or a strap by the passenger side motor mount), if that is bad it could cause similar problems.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Q's 68
Racer

Thanks. I checked the ground and it's in great shape with a nice tight fit. I'm thinking I'll just trade this starter in for another one. I got the lifetime warranty so it will just cost me a bit of time.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter "clicks" but does not turn over sometimes

Quick Reply: Starter "clicks" but does not turn over sometimes