C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need clarification on the procedure to set full advanced timing

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 08:24 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need clarification on the procedure to set full advanced timing

I got Lars' description thru Pedro , on how to determine where the new mark should be placed on the Balancer. Heres what i did: I accurately measured the circumferance of the Balancer- it came to almost 26 inches. So dividing that by 10 = 2.6 inches. Do i now measure on the Balancer 2.6 inches from the '0' mark on the timing tab in the 'advanced' direction ? If so, then i have ended up on top of the balancer and have scratched a mark onto the Balancer 2.6 inches away from '0' (TDC).

What is the next procedure please ?

Thanks, Dave. :confused:
Old 08-21-2001, 09:33 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: I need clarification on the procedure to set full advanced timing (Rumpity Rump)

Dave, make the new mark on the balancer before the 0º mark. When you're done, the new mark (36º) will be on the passenger side of the balancer. To set the timing, rev the engine (with vacuum advance disconnected and plugged) to past the point that advance stops increasing. If you remove the springs from the dist weights first this will be at low rpm. With the springs connected, total may not occur until well past 4,000 rpm or so. Turning the dist just like you'd normally set timing, align the the new mark with 0º on the tab. At this point your total will be at 36º (or wherever you put the new mark). Now check initial at idle as you normally would. If it's too far off spec, you may need to recurve the distributor. A test drive will tell you if more adjustments are needed.

Quick Reply: I need clarification on the procedure to set full advanced timing