C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock rubber, or poly bushings for rear spring/trailing arm???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 11:14 PM
Magnum '82
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock rubber, or poly bushings for rear spring/trailing arm???

I'm going to purchase the rear spring(outer)mounting kit for my '82. These will be the only bushings that I am changing. Should I go with poly or rubber? Please explain your choice. Thanks, in advance.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:39 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Stock rubber, or poly bushings for rear spring/trailing arm??? (Magnum '82)

Personally I'd go with Poly-bushings, I have been replacing the bushings on my car with Poly and have not regretted the choice. If you adequately lube them when you assemble them with the water resistant marine grease, you'll never have a squeaking problem.
I haven't noticed any increased stiffness in the ride either, but come to think of it "any bushing" is an improvement over no bushings. After 20-30 years most rubber bushings are non existant and what's left of them isn't doing much "bushing."
Poly should last much longer than rubber.
Also Poly bushings are easier for the home mechanic to switch. Most of the time they don't have to be pressed in. Rubber bushings almost always have to be pressed in.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:40 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Stock rubber, or poly bushings for rear spring/trailing arm??? (Magnum '82)

If you think that you might want to go with polyurethane bushings throughout the rest of the suspension in the future, use the poly. If not, go with rubber. I'm willing to bet that you would not be able to tell any difference in ride or handling between poly or rubber bushings installed ONLY on the spring ends.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:59 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stock rubber, or poly bushings for rear spring/trailing arm??? (MIKER)

Poly here too. Another item I always change is the stock struts...don't like cam bolts, never did. I get the adjustables with poly, of course. :yesnod:
Old 09-06-2001, 08:45 AM
Vader953
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stock rubber, or poly bushings for rear spring/trailing arm??? (Smokehouse69)

I know this is unpopular, but I (and others I know) always go with the rubber bushings on all areas. I know several mechanics who have told me they have seen the polys squeek during drive, and crack in half on several occasions.

Just my 0.02
Old 09-06-2001, 09:09 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went to everything poly and I think the car is noiser, I changed the spring bushings back to rubber.
Norval
Old 09-06-2001, 12:18 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stock rubber, or poly bushings for rear spring/trailing arm??? (norvalwilhelm)

Just finished doing this on my '81 - changed springs, sway bars, shocks, and bushings (all poly). I love the handling - absolutely tight and as flat as can be in corners. I know most of that comes from the springs and bars, but the poly bushings have to help.

However, Norval is right on - the car is definitely noisier. On flat roads (no holes or bumps) with a rough surface, there is much more noise in the cockpit. Clearly, rubber bushings do a much better job of isolating the suspension's high-frequency oscillations that the poly bushings simply transmit into the frame and body.
Old 09-06-2001, 02:50 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

U can get a graphite injected POLY Bushing that should eliminate that noise!! :smash:
Old 09-06-2001, 03:45 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stock rubber, or poly bushings for rear spring/trailing arm??? (Alwyn678)

Alwyn678,
Nope. That's not what that's about. My poly bushings (and all of them currently on the market, that I know about) are graphite impregnated (not injected). That simply means there is graphite mixed into the polyurethane before it goes into the mold. The purpose of the graphite is to provide some lubrication of the surface of the polyurethane where it will rub against metal, as the bushing travels through its normal range of motion; this reduces wear and squeaking. The graphite works just fine for that in most cases - I have no problems with mine.

This "squeaking" is entirely different from the noise I described in the earlier post. That noise is road noise, transmitted from the tire to the body through the suspension. Poly bushings transmit more of this noise than rubber bushings because they are harder. It is this extra hardness that allows the poly bushings to improve handling, by having less deflection. So you have a trade-off situation: less deflection means more road noise transmitted to the body. Graphite can't help that.
Old 09-06-2001, 06:06 PM
zymurgist
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Stock rubber, or poly bushings for rear spring/trailing arm??? (Gator81)

What about rubber bushings on the control arms and trailing arms and poly everywhere else? Is anyone doing this?

Ken

Get notified of new replies

To Stock rubber, or poly bushings for rear spring/trailing arm???

Quick Reply: Stock rubber, or poly bushings for rear spring/trailing arm???