C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock #2116 Vortec intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:14 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Edelbrock #2116 Vortec intake

I'm new to Vortec heads and this intake - the Vortec head seems to have a cooling passage at the front and rear similar to the GEN I heads, but the Edelbrock Performer Vortec intake completely blocks the rear coolant passage. There's a note regarding an external coolant bypass with some fittings and a hose, but no information on what this is for, why I'd want it or how it's installed. Anyone have experience with this combo?

Sorry, newbie question :/
Old 11-13-2006, 02:23 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
I'm new to Vortec heads and this intake - the Vortec head seems to have a cooling passage at the front and rear similar to the GEN I heads, but the Edelbrock Performer Vortec intake completely blocks the rear coolant passage. There's a note regarding an external coolant bypass with some fittings and a hose, but no information on what this is for, why I'd want it or how it's installed. Anyone have experience with this combo?

Sorry, newbie question :/
Vortec like all other sbc heads are meant for either right or left ... a water port in front of left becomes at rear when installed on right. It is normal that only front of manifold has water ports. Only a few intakes have water ports at rear. Just install it & put it out of mind ... it's a non-issue.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:29 PM
iNdigo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm struggling with a related problem. Here's all the info I could come up with:

Bypass Discussion

My Specific Problem

The response of the first poster that the problem went away when he rearranged the heater hoses, leads me to believe that his heater core is acting as the bypass in his cooling circuit.

I'm currently running one 1/8" bypass hole through the thermostat, but it does't seem to be doing the trick... my next step I assume is the heater bypass hose you mentioned... and now come to think of it, mine included the same parts but made no mention of their intended application.

I'll keep digging...
Old 11-13-2006, 02:38 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by jackson
Vortec like all other sbc heads are meant for either right or left ... a water port in front of left becomes at rear when installed on right. It is normal that only front of manifold has water ports. Only a few intakes have water ports at rear. Just install it & put it out of mind ... it's a non-issue.
I have to admit to being lost here - all of the GEN I intakes I've ever used have had coolant passages on both sides, front and rear. The Vortecs have coolant outlets to the intake front and rear on both heads.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:43 PM
iNdigo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Further, indirect discussion about coolant bypasses...

Coolant bypass discussion

I've tried the 1/8" hole approach, now I think I'm going to a dedicated bypass hose and normal thermostat, hopefully it will alleviate the temperature spikes I've been seeing.

The bypass would go between the 5/8" water pump tap, and the 5/8" manifold tap.

Hope this helps

Last edited by iNdigo; 11-13-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:49 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by iNdigo
Further, indirect discussion about coolant bypasses...

Coolant bypass discussion

I've tried the 1/8" hole approach, now I think I'm going to a dedicated bypass hose and normal thermostat, hopefully it will alleviate the temperature spikes I've been seeing.

The bypass would go between the 5/8" water pump tap, and the 5/8" manifold tap.

Hope this helps
So this is like the BBC setup - line from the top of the pump to the front of the manifold. Interesting.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:33 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Take a look at the alum vortec sbc intakes that GMPP sells ... only the one intended for highest performance race motors has any provision for rear water ports and even then there's not a xover. Also, look at arguably the world's most popular sbc alum intake ... EB performer 2101 ... it does not have any provision for water to cross over between rear ports. Gazillions of street/strip folks run it. Virtually every chevy powered CT racer in our region is required by track rules to run 2101 intake and NONE are modified to Xover at rear. Betcha dollars to donuts your OEM C3 sbc intake is same way.

If you're running one hellacious powerful motor making huge heat at sustained very high rpm ... then maybe you'll need rear water xover ... but if car's tagged & insured then it's unlikely it needs a rear xover.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:31 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Jackson, thanks for your patience. I headed out to the garage to take a really close look at some of my older intakes, and DMFAAH (don't ask that certainly is the case for my 1970 LT-1 intake and the others I had on the shelf. Learn something new every single day.

Again, thanks for your patience and support!

Get notified of new replies

To Edelbrock #2116 Vortec intake

Quick Reply: Edelbrock #2116 Vortec intake