C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Capacitor on Fuel Pump wire - 1982 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Hatepylons
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Capacitor on Fuel Pump wire - 1982 Vette

Helping a friend out changing out his fuel pump and sending unit on his 82 Vette with Crossfire, and I noticed that his original GM sending unit had a capacitor on the positive wire going towards the fuel pump.

The aftermarket piece we had did not have it, and after calling around the major parts suppliers, none of their respective sending units have that capacitor on the wire either (at least that is what the counter person said).

To my knowledge, capacitors exist for two reasons:
1) Clean up the power going to an electrical device or
2) Act as a power storage device to ensure stable power going to an electrical device in the event of a voltage fluctuation.

Unfortunately, the one on his sending unit is DOA, or I'd just splice it in. It was so shot that I couldn't get any number on it whatsoever. With how delicate the Crossfire system is presumed to be (I have minimal experience with the system as a whole) is it OK to install a sending unit without that capacitor, or should I go to Radio Shack and start guessing?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Hatepylons
Instructor

Here's a really bad picture of what I am talking about:

ANY help would be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:27 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

that capacitor is used to reduce radio interference. you'll see them in many other locations also. just use a distributor type capacitor, or something around 250 micofarads at 200 volts.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Hatepylons
Instructor

OK.... that makes sense considering how close this is to the antenna... I'll just have to be careful about getting one that will not breakdown due to the presence of gasoline......

It just seemed to make more sense that it was there to regulate voltage spikes/valleys......

Last edited by Hatepylons; 11-15-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:33 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do the C4s have a capacitor there? I didn't think so, but don't really know. I would have left it off.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Hatepylons
Instructor

Good question - I don't have an OEM one from a C4 to look at here. My biggest concern is that the capacitor had/has something to do with voltage moderation for the pump.

I should just put it in and be thankful the owner doesn't listen to AM radio.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:59 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Is this capacitor for the pump or the gauge sending unit ?Justanotherdoe was telling me how a capacitor can "smooth out" fluctuations.Could this be for smoothing out the fuel gauge?This is the thread.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1545874&page=2
Old 11-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Hatepylons
Instructor

That makes a lot of sense. It was - and still is - confusing to me that it came in on the positive (hot) side of the fuel pump wiring.

I'm going to examine the OEM unit tomorrow when I am more awake. But thank you for pointing out your link.

EDIT - I didn't directly answer your question -- the "capacitor" is on the hot wire coming onto the fuel pump.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

The sending unit is not a hot wire. Adding voltage to it will lead to a very big boom when the wires fry.....
Old 11-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Hatepylons
Instructor

Not to sound rude, but one of the wires going to an electric fuel pump must be hot........ otherwise it wont work......

When I first saw the exposed terminals, knowing they are going inside of a fuel tank, I couldn't believe it either.....

Last edited by Hatepylons; 11-15-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:42 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

these capacitors reduce radio interference because they pass a voltage and current differently. the radio noise is caused when a switch causes voltage to spike from zero to 12 volts when it closes ( or just the opposite when it opens). this sudden change in voltage causes the wires to act like radio antennas, and also spikes in the entire electrical system. the cap absorbes this spike by passing a high (relatively) current that tappers off, and at the same time a low voltage that builds to maximum as the cap fully charges. we're talking thousands of seconds here. an automotive cap will show 12 volts when checked with a meter, but it will not pass enough current to close a relay or operate a motor. however, in modern digital electronics this 12 volts could be enough to trick a integrated circuit(computer) into a false "true" or "on" condition, because these circuits rely upon voltages not currents.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Hatepylons
Instructor

JNB5101 - Thank you for your response, again. That makes complete sense, again. To me, it was just wierd where the capacitor was placed...

Budman78 - Again, sorry if I was rude in my response last night. I was working on another project that really me and I didn't mean to be overly blunt.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:22 AM
troy1m
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you need it you will know, there will be a whine noise on the radio when the pump is running
Old 04-11-2014, 04:18 PM
664c4
2nd Gear

Default C4 Feul tank condenser

Originally Posted by markdtn
Do the C4s have a capacitor there? I didn't think so, but don't really know. I would have left it off.
My C4 has a condenser in the fuel tank and attached to the fuel pump/sending unit assembly. I am going to splice it into the new assembly that did not come with one. My C4 is a 1984 #0000664 that was manufactured in Jan 83.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:52 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The gas eating the capacitor is probably why they don't put one on the new units. I'd think it was to eliminate the brush commutation noise interfering with the radio. A capacitor that size would be useless at storing power to stabilize the pump voltage. A ceramic capacitor across the motor leads should be enough for noise. You could also try the capacitor on the leads just outside of the tank so it's not submerged in fuel.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:48 PM
664c4
2nd Gear

Default Thanks Lionelhutz

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The gas eating the capacitor is probably why they don't put one on the new units. I'd think it was to eliminate the brush commutation noise interfering with the radio. A capacitor that size would be useless at storing power to stabilize the pump voltage. A ceramic capacitor across the motor leads should be enough for noise. You could also try the capacitor on the leads just outside of the tank so it's not submerged in fuel.
I like your suggestion. I do not like the idea of having the capacitor inside the tank. I have had the 84 since 1985. It runs ok but has been sitting most of the last 20 years. Time to bring it back to life.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

So, my related question is, should I transfer, via cut & solder splice- the old capacitor to the new sender I am soon planning to install?

Get notified of new replies

To Capacitor on Fuel Pump wire - 1982 Vette

Quick Reply: Capacitor on Fuel Pump wire - 1982 Vette