C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:27 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Rear wheel wobble

Mornin' All,

Thought I'd throw this one out there, maybe a little premature, but anyways....'72 350/auto.

Left rear wheel started to "wobble" slightly (noticeable). Visibly confirmed this while driving. Probably wobbles about, oh maybe half inch to inch.. Anyway, first thought (hoped) it was a bent rim. Had rim checked, was OK. Now I THINK I'm hearing some tell-tale bearing noise while driving?? With car jacked, I tried to detect some play in the wheel/hub assembly, but didnt feel any (park brake off, auto tranny in N). Wheel or bearing area IS NOT HOT. No obvious external damage or anything bent. Plan to tear into it in the next few days, maybe today.

Just thought I'd ask what to look for, or if I'm missing something more obvious. Car sat for many years. I just started driving it some this week.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Old 11-15-2006, 12:32 PM
genuine1980
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
Mornin' All,

Thought I'd throw this one out there, maybe a little premature, but anyways....'72 350/auto.

Left rear wheel started to "wobble" slightly (noticeable). Visibly confirmed this while driving. Probably wobbles about, oh maybe half inch to inch.. Anyway, first thought (hoped) it was a bent rim. Had rim checked, was OK. Now I THINK I'm hearing some tell-tale bearing noise while driving?? With car jacked, I tried to detect some play in the wheel/hub assembly, but didnt feel any (park brake off, auto tranny in N). Wheel or bearing area IS NOT HOT. No obvious external damage or anything bent. Plan to tear into it in the next few days, maybe today.

Just thought I'd ask what to look for, or if I'm missing something more obvious. Car sat for many years. I just started driving it some this week.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Somehow bent the spindle maybe?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Hatepylons
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may need to jack up the trailing arm off the ground to check for wobble, since letting the suspension become fully unloaded may be putting enough tension on the back side of the spindle to elminate the play.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:23 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by genuine1980
Somehow bent the spindle maybe?
I think thats it. Put the car on a rack, removed tire, started car and put in drive. Hub/rotor assembly is definitely wobbling. Wheel looks like it had a pretty tough encounter with something, so the spindle/hub took the brunt, it appears.
Is this a PITA to remove/replace, assuming thats the problem?? I dont have my Assembly Manual yet, just Haynes.

Thanks guys,
Rob
Old 11-15-2006, 01:38 PM
genuine1980
Burning Brakes

I think thats it. Put the car on a rack, removed tire, started car and put in drive. Hub/rotor assembly is definitely wobbling. Wheel looks like it had a pretty tough encounter with something, so the spindle/hub took the brunt, it appears.
Is this a PITA to remove/replace, assuming thats the problem?? I dont have my Assembly Manual yet, just Haynes.

Thanks guys,
Rob
When I did my rear wheel bearings I had to disassemble all that stuff. Yes it is a PITA.
However, since you are doing it... I would suggest replacing parts that wear like the wheel bearings etc, because you dont know what else might be damaged... plus it makes sense to do it while your in there. And do both sides while your at it.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:43 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by genuine1980
I would suggest replacing parts that wear like the wheel bearings etc, because you dont know what else might be damaged...
Yea, had planned to do all that I can while its apart. Are there any "alignment" type issues involved, once its back together? Also, any special tools required (above and beyond normal shop wrenches and sockets, etc)??

Thanks,
Rob
Old 11-15-2006, 01:58 PM
genuine1980
Burning Brakes

Yea, had planned to do all that I can while its apart. Are there any "alignment" type issues involved, once its back together? Also, any special tools required (above and beyond normal shop wrenches and sockets, etc)??

Thanks,
Rob
Hmm... I'm not 100% about alignment issues because I need to get an alignment done and I happened to get it done right after I did the rear wheel bearings. I think as long as you don't mess with the training arms or strut rods while your doing this work the alignment should be fine. That is assuming the alignment is right in the first place. But since the spindle was likely bent by whacking a curb or something... I think an alignment job after you do the bearings and spindle is is order.

Special tools... yea. Unless you want to damage the spindles when taking the bearings off or putting them on, I would bring them to a shop with a press to remove and install. Other than that, I think your ok... you might want to get something to measure the play in the wheel so you know how tight to make the nut that hold the sprindle on... you dont want it loose were you can feel play when you move the tire in and out... but you dont want it too tight either where you are crushing the bearings.

It is kind of a PITA.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:06 PM
RPOL68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of special tools, disassembly, assembly, measure, disassembly, shim with selective spacers, assembly, etc. Reman assemblies are about $400 exchange. I'm one who does everything on my car myself including rear bearings....ONCE. When the other side started to go I pulled the complete trailing arm assembly out and took it to a local Corvette shop and had it gone through completely. My opinion it's not worth hassle if you're not setup with the right tools.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:24 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RPOL68
My opinion it's not worth hassle if you're not setup with the right tools.
Dont have to tell me TWICE!!! Taking it in today! Like I told the Corvette shop here, I'll fly jets..YOU replace my spindle! Some things its worth paying somebody else to do!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 05:33 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what the correct procedure is to check for a bent rear spindle; however, this is how I might tackle it.
Jack the car up and disconnect the half shaft. That will allow the tire to spin with minimal resistance. If it wobbles, then remove the tire and see if the spindle wobbles. I would think if the tire is wobbling an inch you should see the spindle wobble if its bent.

Working on the trailing arms does require more tools than sockets, wrenchs, and a hammer. There are dozens of threads covering how to do it. There is not a lot of savings in doing them yourself if you have to dish out $200+ for the tools. On the other hand if you do yourself, it pays for the tools.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:20 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I would get it up in the air and see if there are any obvious signs first. Then remoive the 1/2 shaft and that will leave you with the spindle separate and also let you check the endplay in the side yoke.

Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Rear wheel wobble

Quick Reply: Rear wheel wobble