C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pesky Transmission Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Silver00V6Camaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pesky Transmission Leak

Alright I got my helicoils done and installed the pan with a new rubber gasket again. Every bolt is torqued to spec and I still have a leak by the vacuum modulator coming from the pan. Its in the curves right buy the modulator. Anyone delt with this if so how did you fix this leak its just a little drip but enough to make a good size puddle by morning. Any help is appriciated because I am about to give up and just take it to the transmission shop.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Every rubber gasket I have used leaked. I do not like them.
If the pan rail is not warped, and is nice and flat, I like to use a quality cork gasket, and torque the pan to 100 inch pounds. Then a week later, I retorque to 100 inch pounds. Install the gasket with a thin coat of vaseline only on both sides.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

First, be absolutely sure the leak is coming from the pan. You can do this by putting the car on jack stands, cleaning the area well, and then running it in place until you see the leak. If it is the pan, remove it and make sure that the sealing areas are perfectly flat and that there are no dimples around the bolt holes from over tightening. If there is any doubt about the pan's sealing ability, buy a new one. I believe GM still sells them. I bought one about 2 years ago for around $30 bucks and it ended my tranny leaks. For installation, follow the suggested procedure above. The last thing I would do is take the car to a tranny shop where they would probably want to pull it and replace all seals, etc., for several hundred $. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:04 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It could be that the retaining bolt for the modulator was overtorqued and that deformed the pan sealing surface. If you find the leak is at the pan gasket in that area, remove the pan/gasket and take a finishing stone to the pan rail surface. If it has a high spot under the modulator, you will see it pretty quickly. And if a high spot does show up, just keep stoning until it is gone. It wouldn't hurt to do the entire pan rail. You don't know who else might have overtorqued pan bolts in the past. When using the stone, make sure you lube it with a clean light oil (fresh motor oil will work in a pinch).
Old 12-27-2006, 03:32 AM
duntovlives
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't be fooled by a dip stick tube leak.

Get notified of new replies

To Pesky Transmission Leak

Quick Reply: Pesky Transmission Leak