C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Type R4 A/C Compressor question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 06:56 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Type R4 A/C Compressor question

On the one I took off my car there is what looks like a relief valve screwed into the rear of the compressor next to where the lines connect. On the replacement compressor, there is not. The hole is not drilled out from when the part was cast. Is this the high pressure relief valve or something? I am not wanting to drill and tap this hole as it would result in metal shavings inside the compressor. Can I still use this or does it need to go back?

Thanks,
LannyL81
Old 11-18-2006, 08:08 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

You are fine,...go for it....no sweat....do not drill/tap anything....
Old 11-18-2006, 08:45 AM
wnmech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you thinking it is a high pressure relief valve. If it was me I would go back to the vender to see if he has one with the proper holes for the valve. Is there a spot on the new compressor that has a snap ring installed? Some different types of R-4's have a relief valve switch that is held in with a snap ring and when you get the compressor from the vender it will have a plug in that hole which means you may have to buy a different switch to make it work properly.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by wnmech
I agree with you thinking it is a high pressure relief valve. If it was me I would go back to the vender to see if he has one with the proper holes for the valve. Is there a spot on the new compressor that has a snap ring installed? Some different types of R-4's have a relief valve switch that is held in with a snap ring and when you get the compressor from the vender it will have a plug in that hole which means you may have to buy a different switch to make it work properly.
I would tend to agree here, but mrvette may be correct. Here is an a/c forum where you can get more opinions from those in the trade.
http://www.autoacforum.com/categories.cfm?catid=2

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 11-18-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:24 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
I would tend to agree here, but mrvette may be correct. Here is an a/c forum where you can get more opinions from those in the trade.
Checked out that site and WOW...learned more about the R4 compressor than I ever wanted to.....thanks. Still have not found out what for sure this thing is on the back and if I even need it. The compressor I took off was not original. Any 81 owners out there with an original AC compressor??

Thanks again to all,
LannyL81
Old 11-19-2006, 06:31 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
Old 11-19-2006, 07:15 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Checked out that site and WOW...learned more about the R4 compressor than I ever wanted to.....thanks. Still have not found out what for sure this thing is on the back and if I even need it. The compressor I took off was not original. Any 81 owners out there with an original AC compressor??

Thanks again to all,
LannyL81
Lanny, if you sign up for the forum, you can ask your specific question about the pressure relief valve. Most of the guys who respond are in the trade and can tell you what you need to do, if anything. Good luck.
Jud

Get notified of new replies

To Type R4 A/C Compressor question

Quick Reply: Type R4 A/C Compressor question