C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros & Cons of a Tri-power vs 4 barrel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 11:20 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by 1ARACE
Well I bought the BG Sixshooter, so guess i'll let you all know how it works out, arrives tomorrow and should be able to fire it up in next 4-6 weeks, hopefully.
Have to break engine in before any real testing though.
GOOD CHOICE! I here their tech support is real helpful to dial it in too.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Doug S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I bought the BG Sixshooter, so guess i'll let you all know how it works out, arrives tomorrow and should be able to fire it up in next 4-6 weeks, hopefully.
Have to break engine in before any real testing though.
Congratulations

If you have any questions, shoot us PM and we'll be happy to help you out anytime!

Technical Support,

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 04-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

It's a moot point now but....

Originally Posted by Ironcross
I dont believe the OEM tri-power will work very well with a manuel progressive linkage as there are no pumps in the end carburators, only the center has one. I would predict a huge stumble by opening the ends with the center.

Plus...

Originally Posted by 63mako
".... I would think they are different from the 400 hp vs the 435 hp as well as the accelerator pumps, jets and maybe the power valve. "

Those parts are the same for the 400 & 435 HP engines.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:52 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well here's the update, I installed the BG BBC Sixshooter today. This was my first intake/carb install to be honest...go ahead now....this is how it went.

... so I am not sure if it is just me or if the machining is a bit off, but the intake holes were not lining up exactly, using a rubber hammer tapping it one way or the other slighty was almost futile, it eventually went on, but a very tight fit, especially at the #3, 7, 9, 12 hole.
The bolts will not seat flush at the #11 and 9 hole, they are torqued correctly and threaded in correctly, but not flush, which I wonder if they are really torqued correctly.

Is torque still accurate if you use extension and universal joint?
I had to do that for the #5 and 9, just curious if their torqued right too.

Unless I'm blind, the instructions do not say where the spring goes and I don't see it in the pictures, if anyone knows?

Instructions said RTV and Loc-Tite were included...I received neither, and for some reason the screws for the aircleaner lid to carb plates are too big, I mean there is no way these will fit.

Everything else looks really good.

So I have to call Jegs tomorrow And probably BG if no one here knows where that spring goes.

Thanks

Last edited by 1ARACE; 04-10-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Doug S
Instructor

... so I am not sure if it is just me or if the machining is a bit off, but the intake holes were not lining up exactly, using a rubber hammer tapping it one way or the other slighty was almost futile, it eventually went on, but a very tight fit, especially at the #3, 7, 9, 12 hole.
The bolts will not seat flush at the #11 and 9 hole, they are torqued correctly and threaded in correctly, but not flush, which I wonder if they are really torqued correctly.

Is torque still accurate if you use extension and universal joint?
I had to do that for the #5 and 9, just curious if their torqued right too.

Unless I'm blind, the instructions do not say where the spring goes and I don't see it in the pictures, if anyone knows?

Instructions said RTV and Loc-Tite were included...I received neither, and for some reason the screws for the aircleaner lid to carb plates are too big, I mean there is no way these will fit.

Everything else looks really good.

So I have to call Jegs tomorrow And probably BG if no one here knows where that spring goes.

Thanks
You've got a PM

Sorry about the troubles you had. Curious were your heads or block ever cut? Bolt fitment is not an issue we've heard before, but we'll let the guys in our machine shop know.

Are the screws for the D-Rings for the air cleaner base the wrong diameter or length?

If you'll give us your address we can get the missing / wrong components replaced for you.

The return spring should go from the bottom of the linkage arm on the center carburetor to the accelerator pump arm stud of the rear carburetor.

Technical Support,

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 04-11-2007, 10:51 AM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doug S
You've got a PM

Sorry about the troubles you had. Curious were your heads or block ever cut? Bolt fitment is not an issue we've heard before, but we'll let the guys in our machine shop know.

Are the screws for the D-Rings for the air cleaner base the wrong diameter or length?

If you'll give us your address we can get the missing / wrong components replaced for you.

The return spring should go from the bottom of the linkage arm on the center carburetor to the accelerator pump arm stud of the rear carburetor.

Technical Support,

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Thanks much for the quick reply, the system looks great, got quite a few compliments already via people who stopped by the shop

The screw diameter is too big for the holes in the air cleaner lid, or else the screws are right and the air cleaner lid holes are too small, one of the two. I can self tap the screws I have now through the D-Rings, but not through lid.

I'm using orginal block and heads, they only have about 15-20k mile use on them, I did not see any machining nor did the machine shop notice any machining done to them.
I started off following bolt pattern in instructions, but after the first 3-4 bolts, using a drop light I could see the #9, 10 was off a hair (bolt wouldn't start straight) then I tap it, and then the 5, 7, 8 would be off a hair.

Thanks for spring location also
PM sent.
Thanks again for the information and helpfulness, is much appreciated
Old 05-05-2007, 06:27 PM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doug S
Yes, we have customers with them under stock hoods.

Technical Support,

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Now that I have the body back on...this is the 3" airfilter, how would even a 2" fit under a stock hood?

Old 05-05-2007, 07:48 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I've had three Tri-Power setups over the years on different BB's, and found the stories that they are difficult to properly tune to be complete propaganda. Besides, "three duces" just exude coolness when you pop the hood for curious onlookers.

On the plus side, when set up correctly, 3x2's can be very economical to operate while still offering more cfm flow capacity than most BB's will ever need. However, Chevy never designed an adequate (read "high-rise") manifold on which to place all that awe inspiring carburetion, and the system never had a chance to live up to its true potential. (If there is a good 3x2, rect. port high-rise out there, someone let me know!)

That said, despite my fondness for multi-carbs, a single, large 4-barrel will crown the BB in my C3 when it rises again. But, I'll always have a soft spot for the Tri-Power...
Old 05-07-2007, 01:36 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Now having driven my 68 with the 435 HP Tripower setup for a little while, I can only say that it is a very smooth running setup with endless power.
Idles always correct, doesn't bog when braking hard or accellerating hard.
Very different to my previously installed 650' CFM DP Holley.

If I could only find a method to get the filter attached to the hood ( L88 type induction system, may be ) in order to see this setup when opening the hood. Too much is burried under the triangle air filter.

Günther
Old 05-07-2007, 03:17 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

I think you will always get comments from folks that do not run multiple carbs ,,,, giving them a bad rap . Multiples are very driveable and give great performance .

Geo
Old 12-17-2018, 11:27 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Reminds me of a popular Jim Croce song ... something about a cape
Old 12-17-2018, 12:48 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 522 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by jojo DaCosta
Do you have proof or is it written in paper by a scientist? The tri power had 1,230 CFMs more then a 4 barrel and just about dual quad intake. I think your logic is because its three 2 barrel carbs it's not feeding the engine enough, How about a Holly 3 Barrel with 950 CFMs. Usually the ones who bad mouth something is mostly jealous and cant afford, so will make up lies so other people follow in your path. I've had one on my small block Chevy without any issues and what because your running of the middle carb your not providing enough fuel until you kick it in? A 4 barrel also runs on 2 barrels until you kick it in. I haven't seen none if theory supporting how bad it is? You want to hear the ultimate engine for Chevrolet? Try a Big Block LS7 or Even the ZL1 with the Tri power on it. The 70 Chevelle SS with the 454 LS6 should have came with the Tri power, that would have been one bad ride to this date. I never seen factory Dual quads on the Big Block 65 threw 74 cars but Dodge and Ford there big blocks with dual quads, the only dual quad was on the 69 Cross ram 302 Z28 and you had to buy that special for racing. So I see nothing wrong with the Tri Power set ups.
Holy thread resurrection BATMAN. 11-1/2 years...

Anyway, couple of issues with your numbers. 2bbl carbs are not rated the safe as 4 bbl carbs. The correction factor is 1.414. So 1230 cfm of total 3x2 flow is equal to ~870 cfm of 4bbl flow. Add in manifold distribution and an modern 4bbl will make more power and be easier to tune than the 3x2.

I have run both vacuum secondary (stock carbs) and mechanical secondary (Mopar aftermarket carbs) on a 3x2 on my 496 big block. Both were fun. The mechanical secondary was lots of fun to drive. But to get them tuned in right required multiple sessions with a wideband A/F setup.

I am now running a custom 3x2 port injected EFI setup. I could probably make more power with a good 4bbl EFI but it looks cool and fits under my stock hood.

ON EDIT: A poster with 2 posts accusing Lars of making up lies. : Lars has contributed immensely to this board over the last 15+ years and has the background and knowledge to speak to this and many other issues.

Last edited by SteveG75; 12-17-2018 at 12:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SteveG75:
3X2 (12-18-2018), 73racevette (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 03:52 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveG75
Holy thread resurrection BATMAN. 11-1/2 years...

Anyway, couple of issues with your numbers. 2bbl carbs are not rated the safe as 4 bbl carbs. The correction factor is 1.414. So 1230 cfm of total 3x2 flow is equal to ~870 cfm of 4bbl flow. Add in manifold distribution and an modern 4bbl will make more power and be easier to tune than the 3x2.

ON EDIT: A poster with 2 posts accusing Lars of making up lies. : Lars has contributed immensely to this board over the last 15+ years and has the background and knowledge to speak to this and many other issues.
What he said.

Mike
Old 12-17-2018, 05:01 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Lets your Wiki Page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_Grimsrud

Old 12-17-2018, 05:13 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by jojo DaCosta
Do you have proof or is it written in paper by a scientist? The tri power had 1,230 CFMs more then a 4 barrel and just about dual quad intake. I think your logic is because its three 2 barrel carbs it's not feeding the engine enough, How about a Holly 3 Barrel with 950 CFMs. Usually the ones who bad mouth something is mostly jealous and cant afford, so will make up lies so other people follow in your path. I've had one on my small block Chevy without any issues and what because your running of the middle carb your not providing enough fuel until you kick it in? A 4 barrel also runs on 2 barrels until you kick it in. I haven't seen none if theory supporting how bad it is? You want to hear the ultimate engine for Chevrolet? Try a Big Block LS7 or Even the ZL1 with the Tri power on it. The 70 Chevelle SS with the 454 LS6 should have came with the Tri power, that would have been one bad ride to this date. I never seen factory Dual quads on the Big Block 65 threw 74 cars but Dodge and Ford there big blocks with dual quads, the only dual quad was on the 69 Cross ram 302 Z28 and you had to buy that special for racing. So I see nothing wrong with the Tri Power set ups.
One of the top 10 most ignorant posts I've ever seen. I am a scientist, and yes, I've written several papers.

Originally Posted by jackson
Reminds me of a popular Jim Croce song ... something about a cape
That's pretty funny, Jack - thanks!

Lars

Last edited by lars; 12-17-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:50 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

Received 232 Likes on 157 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Mine works fine I just wish the gas mileage was better. Mine is bad. Any idea why?
Old 12-17-2018, 06:47 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Jim -
The wideband testing and dyno tuning I've done on the stock Tripowers usually shows that they run rich, especially on the center carb. You might want to buy, beg, borrow or steal a wideband setup that can be stuck up your exhaust and see if the center needs to be leaned out a tad. Make sure the float level is not too high, set the idle mixture screws to the leanest setting that still produces a good quality idle (idle mixture setting will affect cruise mixture on a Tripower), and verify your jetting is not richer than stock. But first, make sure your timing is set up right - you need to be running 36 to 38 total timing with initial in the mid teens, and with a working vacuum advance hooked up to manifold vacuum pulling in not more than 12 degrees of vacuum advance, giving you actual timing at idle of about 30 degrees.This setup will get you running pretty nicely. Drop me an e-mail if you need specific info.

Lars

Last edited by lars; 12-17-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pros & Cons of a Tri-power vs 4 barrel?

Old 12-18-2018, 07:47 AM
JBrooke825
Drifting

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Timming

Lars,

thanks for the reply. I rebuilt the center carb then took it to a local rebuilder to run a test on it
for me . He said it was fine so I put it back on again but I don’t know what size jets are in it.
my biggest trouble was it would not idle. So finally I took someone’s advice and pushed the
distributor around a little till I heard a pinging and then backed it off. The car has ac with
power steering and an I idler pulley. It is almost impossible to see the degree gauge . Do
you know a trick for this? Now the car idles great even with the ac on but the mileage is
really bad. The next nice day I will get it out and try again with the timming that must be it.
i am pretty sure the float level is ok too. There is no gas smell in the garage anyway.
i see some people here say their car gets good gas mileage so there must be an answer
to this. The car has been completely restored and the numbers matching engine has been
rebuilt. I have your paper from 6 months ago so I will have to try harder to set timming.
thanks again

Jim
Old 12-18-2018, 11:32 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Correct timing has a huge effect on gas mileage. You cannot set the timing "by ear" or by the "ping point" and get it anywhere close. Yes, it's difficult to get a straight visual shot at the timing tab on that engine, but if you get in there pretty close to the engine fan, there is a very small "sight window" where you can just barely catch a glimpse of the tab and balancer. You'll need a dial-back timing light.

I do have capability to test and set up that center carb if you want me to do a checkout on it for you.

Lars
Old 12-18-2018, 05:45 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the reply Lars,I do have a dial back timming light and will try that again but I may
take you up on the offer to check out this center carb. Might be a good idea . You could check out the
jets and make sure they are right.. I will get back to you after Christmas. Thanks again and
merry Christmas to you.

Jim

Quick Reply: Pros & Cons of a Tri-power vs 4 barrel?