C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flooding Carb

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:32 PM
bwellisley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooding Carb

Well, I'm in need of help. I've been having issues with the carb flooding the engine. This happens after the car has been running for about 30mins.

For example, yesterday I took it out for a spin and ran it through the gears pretty good. The engine temp stayed around 160-180. Upon returning to the house I took my little boy for a cruise down the road (car idled for about 5 mins while getting him and his seat in the car). The temp increased a bit to about 180-200, but it came down quickly as we started driving. I was driving very easy and shifting at about 2K. About 1 mile away the carb flooded the engine...I quickly pushed in the clutch and coasted a bit then popped it to restart. Of course tons of fuel blew out the pipes as would be expected. I managed to get back to the house without another instance.

I had just gone through and checked the float level as well as the needle and seat and all looked great! As it should as this is a new carb with only a few hundred miles on it. It is a Holley 600cfm dbl-pump mechanical. It was running great until the flood again. It is the front bowl producing the problem.

My thought is that this must be a pressure related issue as I have a mechanical pump...? Any thoughts/suggestions? What can I do to fix this? I am using a Summit fuel line feeder that has a brass filter in it and a pressure gauge (when shut off it shows the pressure at 7psi, as it jumps while running due to the mech pump). I also have a fuel filter between the pump and fuel feeding line. There is no return line to the gas tank, and I can't see how I could do it with this setup.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

my 72 wasnt cured until i changed the tank and lines in 2000. never happened again.
unfilterable rust dust made it leak. had me baffled for awhile. old cars suck sometimes.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:10 PM
bwellisley
Pro

don't think that's my problem, as it runs fine until it's been hot for a while. i've also got 2 fuel filters in the line.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

well u have to start changing parts.
PV, Needle/seat
doesnt matter that its new
something is wrong
cut fuel PSI to 4-5
i hope it doesnt have points.
try the old carb.

Last edited by Matt Gruber; 06-18-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:48 PM
bwellisley
Pro

what should i use to cut fuel pressure? i have a mech pump. it would need to divert extra gas from higher pressures back to the tank, correct?

as i noted. the needle and seat were extracted and inspected. no wear or flaws were found, and it still looks like new. the float is at the right level and all works great until the engine has been running at temp for a while. it will just start pushing gas past the valve to flood the engine.

i'm assuming i'll have to create a mounting bracket to attach the pressure regulator to between the fuel filter and the carb...? anyone else done this? any pics? suggestions on pressure regulator?

thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Flooding Carb

Quick Reply: Flooding Carb