C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding brakes, will I have to remove tires.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:19 PM
RATT7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bleeding brakes, will I have to remove tires.

Hi everyone, it seems that I have some air in the rear brake lines and will need to bleed the rear brakes this weekend. Instead of using my vacuum pump I ordered the speed bleeders and will install them and go that route. Is there enough room to bleed the brakes with the tires still on the car, or will I have to put the car on jack stands and remove the rear tires to bleed the brakes. It's been a while since I have done any brake work on the 1980.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:54 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get away with on the fronts, but not the rears. The outside bleeder is inside the wheel when it is mounted. I have a lift and I still can't get to them with the wheels on.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:11 PM
RATT7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I will have to get the jack stands out again, I am only going to lift the car high enough so that I can get the rear tires off. Should I also lift the front of the car to make sure the car is level when I am bleeding the rear brakes ?
Thanks
Old 08-16-2007, 02:34 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think it will make that much of a difference. Either you use pressure or vacuum to bleed. I would say that if you were going to gravity bleed, then it would be more important.

Get notified of new replies

To Bleeding brakes, will I have to remove tires.

Quick Reply: Bleeding brakes, will I have to remove tires.