C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Jack Stand Placement

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Hammers69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Jack Stand Placement

I am removing the entire front suspension on my small block '69 C3 (body on). Not sure where to place jack stands to support the front of the car while doing this. Ideally, I would like to support the entire car front and rear on jack stands at the same time to allow overall suspension work. I have the rear on stands now placed along the outside frame just behind rear of the doors.

Also, would appreciate pointers on where to jack from. Understand the manuals say to jack from the sides and avoid jacking by the front cross member to avoid denting it, but trying to get stands under the front end while jacking from the side with jack stands already in the rear looks like it could be unstable.

Thanks in advance.

Hammer
Old 09-02-2007, 09:56 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Take a couple of 2x4x12" lay them fore/aft on the FLOOR jack cup and position under the cross member, it won't dent if you do it that way....

make sure you on smooth concrete to avoid pulling the rear off the REAR jack stands...

Last edited by mrvette; 09-02-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Busrydr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done this many times for 4 wheel brake jobs. Sturdy stands, level & solid ground and you'lll be fine. The plank suggestion will prevent any denting.

Always check to see how stable the car is before you begin you work by giving the car a little bump from each corner.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:49 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
Take a couple of 2x4x12" lay them fore/aft on the jack cup and position under the cross member, it won't dent if you do it that way....

make sure you on smooth concrete to avoid pulling the rear off the jack stands...
Would any of you guys have any pics of your cars on jack stands..mayde something with the 2 x 4 under them. A picture is worth a 1000 words...Im getting ready to some work that ill need to use my stands for the 1st time.

Thanks everyone..
Old 09-02-2007, 10:59 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by ptroxx
Would any of you guys have any pics of your cars on jack stands..mayde something with the 2 x 4 under them. A picture is worth a 1000 words...Im getting ready to some work that ill need to use my stands for the 1st time.

Thanks everyone..
I edited my post above.....added two words....should be more clear now....I have had a Sears floor jack for about 20 years now...standard large heavy steel 4 wheel gas station jack with long handle style...

sorry, no pix....

Old 09-02-2007, 11:08 AM
jbowles49
Instructor

Default raising front end

When I do this I use two jacks, one on each side, and raise the car
incrementally using both. Don't cheap out on jack stands. Wide base
and not stamped sheet metal.
Good luck
Old 09-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Hammers69
Advanced

Default Fw

Thanks for the tips. Where should I place the jack stands in the front of the car?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:36 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I have my rear jack stands near the kickups, the fronts are just behind the mounting points for the P/S ram and the idler arm. It's been stable like that for 16 months now.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:59 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ptroxx

Thanks everyone..
this help?? I always place the rear stands right in front of the fear kick-up area and the front stands right where the frame moves inwards before the engine mount flanges

This is a '80 project we are replacing the frame on:

good shot of rear stand placement:

you can see front stand placement a little better on this pic:

as for jacking, the placement point can vary based on preference but I like to jack on the side right next to but not on the tranny crossmember. I place the saddle of the jack on the frame rail as close to the crossmember as I can than jack up one side and place both stands on that side than do the same on the other side.
you can use the trany crossover as a jacking point but it WILL dent it unless you place a 2x4 or similar between it and the jack to help distribute the weight along the crossmember
Old 09-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Hammers69
Advanced

Thanks to all. This is great help!

Hammer
Old 09-04-2007, 08:29 AM
RATT7
Pro

I have done the same as Barry K, used the wood blocks to prevent and dings on the frame.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:10 AM
wjsullivan
Pro

Put mine up like BarryK. Raised the drive side a ways, then got the passenger above that and back and forth to a sufficient height.

Just go easy.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:20 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Barry, Yes this help a bunch. I can see everything with you frame exchange project. Thanks for the help. I will be using those pics a bunch untill I remember those spots. =) =) Im getting old.. -0 )

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Jack Stand Placement

Quick Reply: C3 Jack Stand Placement