C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine stand wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 PM
myc3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Engine stand wiring

I will be getting my new 406 from the machinist within the next two weeks. I plan to run the engine on a stand prior to installation so I can break it in and test for leaks.

I have accumulated al the necessary parts to start it on the stand but I can't find any infomation about how to connect the wiring. It will be using a HEI distributor. I have the battery, ignition switch, battery cables, gauges, throttle cable etc...

Can anyone provide the wiring information or point me in the right direction? I have searched the forum and been unsuccessful so far.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:49 PM
myc3
Racer

bump
Old 10-15-2007, 10:55 PM
bluthundr
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

http://www.356registry.org/Tech/imag...nd_diagram.pdf

Thats a pretty basic setup there, the regulator/generator area is going to depend on what kind of alternator you are using.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:15 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a schematic of an HEI distributor, there are 5 and 7 pin variety's, some require an ECU. If you've got a points style distributor you can substitute I can help you wire it up that way.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:23 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

For the basic Hei
12v from ign switch to bat terminal on hei. that's it.
make sure engine is grounded from battery
Old 10-16-2007, 08:22 AM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by noonie
For the basic Hei
12v from ign switch to bat terminal on hei. that's it.
make sure engine is grounded from battery
That's easy enough.

Originally Posted by myc3
It will be using a HEI distributor. I have the battery, ignition switch, battery cables, gauges, throttle cable etc...
Do you have an in-cap or separate coil?

Found a drawing that might be useful:
Attached Images  

Last edited by shafrs3; 10-16-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 AM
myc3
Racer

I have an 1977 OEM HEI with the coil in the cap. The connection is a pigtail on the distributor.

I am trying to understand how to wire the starter and the distributor to a battery using a universal ignition switch. There will be no alternator while the engine is on the stand.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:13 AM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

This should work.
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2007, 11:15 AM
myc3
Racer

Originally Posted by shafrs3
This should work.
Thanks for the diagram. A couple of follow up questions.

Is the battery cable just a direct connection to the solenoid? The diagram shows a gate or switch on the cable. My battery cable just has a connection for the battery and the starter. I have seen some that also have a 10ga wire that you can crimp a lead to.

The connection on the S terminal looks like a direct connection to the ingnition switch. Is this true? What guage should this wire be?

Do you know which which lug on the distributor connector is for the battery?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:31 AM
noonie
Race Director

Thanks for the diagram. A couple of follow up questions.

Is the battery cable just a direct connection to the solenoid? The diagram shows a gate or switch on the cable. My battery cable just has a connection for the battery and the starter. I have seen some that also have a 10ga wire that you can crimp a lead to.

The connection on the S terminal looks like a direct connection to the ingnition switch. Is this true? What guage should this wire be?

Do you know which which lug on the distributor connector is for the battery?
It's marked on the cap, closest to ther firewall.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:05 PM
myc3
Racer

Originally Posted by noonie
It's marked on the cap, closest to ther firewall.
Thanks for the reply concerning the distributor connection.

Anyone have an answer to the other two questions about the wiring to the starter?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:19 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Is the battery cable just a direct connection to the solenoid? (Yes, the big lug on the solenoid)

The diagram shows a gate or switch (This is how I depicted the ignition switch) on the cable. My battery cable just has a connection for the battery and the starter. (It's a drawing I had laying around that I modified, it shows a tap off the batt cable, you can run a wire from the batt + post to the switch instead.)

I have seen some that also have a 10ga wire that you can crimp a lead to.
The connection on the S terminal looks like a direct connection to the ignition switch. (Yes from the start position of the switch, 14 gage is fine) Is this true? What gage should this wire be?

Do you know which which lug on the distributor connector is for the battery? (Use the other drawing I included above for the distributor battery connection)

Good luck.

Last edited by shafrs3; 10-16-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:27 PM
myc3
Racer

Thank you for all the replies. I think I now understand what to do. This is a great example of how helpful Forum members can be. I will let you know how I make out when I get the 406 fully assembled. I expect the long block in about 2 weeks.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:16 PM
myc3
Racer

Originally Posted by shafrs3
The diagram shows a gate or switch (This is how I depicted the ignition switch) on the cable. My battery cable just has a connection for the battery and the starter. (It's a drawing I had laying around that I modified, it shows a tap off the batt cable, you can run a wire from the batt + lug to the switch instead.) :
If I use the tap off the batt cable can I eliminate the separate wire from the S terminal on the solenoid or are both required to be connected to the ignition switch?

Thanks for the help. I hope this is the last question.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:29 PM
dr1
Instructor

I've never done it, but just a note to be careful running it on the stand
Just picture it bucking around in your engine bay when its solidly bolted to the frame :P
Old 10-16-2007, 05:51 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

If I use the tap off the batt cable can I eliminate the separate wire from the S terminal on the solenoid or are both required to be connected to the ignition switch?

Thanks for the help. I hope this is the last question.
The S terminal is the solenoid activation lug, it is what makes the starter run when 12v is applied (ignition switch turned to the start position) and can't be eliminated, no 12v on S lug, no crank. I don't know how your ignition switch lugs are labeled but one should be the battery connection, one the run connection and one the start connection so you'll have three wires connected to it.

Also the previous post mentioned an important safety point, be sure to bolt down your engine stand to the floor, the rotating mass of a running motor could flip your engine with stand right over when you blip the throttle.

Last edited by shafrs3; 10-16-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 PM
myc3
Racer

My universal ignition switch has 4 posts - Starter - Ignition - Battery and Acc. This is my attempt to match the diagram that was posted to the markings on the ignition switch. Here is my guess for the connections. Please let me know if this is correct.

From the tap on the battery positive cable to the batt post on the switch.

From the S terminal on the solenoid to the Starter post on the switch.

From Ignition post on the switch to the Batt lug on the HEI dist. I am assuming that the Ignition post on the switch is the same a Run position on the diagram.

Thanks for all the replies.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine stand wiring

Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 PM
noonie
Race Director

Don't let an ignition switch confuse you. The next time you go to use the test stand you'll be looking for the keys anyway.

Get a 2 toggle switches.
1-from battery (or large post on starter) to switch to hei (to turn it on/off)
2-from battery (or large post on starter) to switch (momentary is better or push button switch) to "s" term on solenoid of starter

Battery connections
Pos battery to large lug on on starter.
(Large lug on starter 12ga wire to hot side of both toggle switches if more convenient)
Neg battery to any large bolt on engine.

Any gauges pos to sending unit, neg to ground.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:53 AM
myc3
Racer

My universal ignition switch has 4 posts - Starter - Ignition - Battery and Acc. This is my attempt to match the diagram that was posted to the markings on the ignition switch. Here is my guess for the connections. Please let me know if this is correct.

From the tap on the battery positive cable to the batt post on the switch.

From the S terminal on the solenoid to the Starter post on the switch.

From Ignition post on the switch to the Batt lug on the HEI dist. I am assuming that the Ignition post on the switch is the same a Run position on the diagram.

Thanks for all the replies.
Does anyone know if this is right? I appreciate the toggle switch suggestion but would would prefer to use the ignition switch. From what I learned from the toggle switch post it appears I may have the S terminal and HEI connections reversed.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:38 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Does anyone know if this is right? I appreciate the toggle switch suggestion but would would prefer to use the ignition switch. From what I learned from the toggle switch post it appears I may have the S terminal and HEI connections reversed.
Yes, it is correct.

Quick Reply: Engine stand wiring