C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 vs 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:03 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default C3 vs 911

Never drove or owned a Porsche in my life. But some years ago I sat in one.Sorry ,but to me it felt like a VW? Today I was talking to a fellow who recently owned a 78 Corvette. Hes a auto detailer by trade and one of his weekly customers lets him pick up his Porsche and drive it. Its a rag top 911 which appears to be about 2 years old. He tell me his C3 rode hard, but that the 911 rides no better. He also tells me he finds the feel much less exciting than his 78. He tells me the cars motor always feels like is racing and in short he seemed more impressed with his 78 although admitting is was far slower. He also claims the Germans get near 90 Grand for this car? So I have to wonder. Whats all the hype about this Icon that has been around longer than the Corvette and costs double the price. Why are most of the magazines always using a Porsche 911 as the standard for Performance. Is this guy just bias, ignorant,or onto something?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Granted, as much as I like my Corvettes, the Porsche's I've owned are in a class by themselves. With all respect, I think your friend is a bit biased. Even a comparable year 911 or 930 will run circles around a '78 C3 not to mention that they incredibly quicker and will cruise effortlessly at 140. There is no comparison between the two. Like the movie saying goes, "Porsche..there is no substitute."
Old 02-14-2008, 07:21 PM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
Gr Like the movie saying goes, "Porsche..there is no substitute."

Having had a 911T several years back, and a couple 914's (a 914-6 and a 914 V8 conversion), I can tell you that either of those would runs circles around most Vette's.

And the Porche's were much more comfortable on a long road trip too....
Old 02-14-2008, 07:31 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know what year 911 we are talking about here but back in the very early 80's the receptionist at the Architectural firm I was working at was looking to sell her 911 Targa.

I had already looked at a 75 vette. she asked if i was interested, so she let me borrow it overnight. TBH I wasnt terribly impressed. Not that it wasnt a quick car or that it didnt handle on rails.

But sitting in that car and driving it, I couldnt escape the feeling that I was sitting in the car crooked, the pedals seemed to come up out of the floor closer to the centerline of the car than the centerline of the seat I'm sure I woulda gotten used to it but that, and an incredibly spartan interior that really looked VWish to me, and that it burned oil like a well worn Vega just flat turned me off.

Later versions of the car are stellar in both appointment and power.

in the end I didnt buy either the vette or the Porsche
Old 02-14-2008, 07:49 PM
weimer20
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't give you a fair comparison between a C3 and a Porsche because my C3 is not on the road yet and I have never driven one. BUT, I do own a 1978 930 and can tell you that it is a beast of a car. The faster you go, the more stable it becomes. It will cruise along all day and night at blinding speed and it will get to that speed in a darn hurry. As far as handling- it's like a slot car so long as you know how to drive. Had a 1970 911T and that one was more akin to a VW than I cared for. The 930 Turbo is an entirely different story. Regardless of speed / handling, I just can't get enough of good Chevy power. A fresh Chevy with a good bit of cam is hard to beat in my book. Besides, I'm not looking to drive around at mach speed anyway. I don't want to end up dead anytime soon and certainly don't want to be the cause of anyone's misfortune.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:56 PM
45ACP
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fauxrs2
. . . and that it burned oil like a well worn Vega just flat turned me off.
That's a helluva lot of oil. That's turned over tanker truck quantities of oil. That's Exxon Valdez amounts of oil.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:45 PM
tjhuyser
Pro

Granted, as much as I like my Corvettes, the Porsche's I've owned are in a class by themselves. With all respect, I think your friend is a bit biased. Even a comparable year 911 or 930 will run circles around a '78 C3 not to mention that they incredibly quicker and will cruise effortlessly at 140. There is no comparison between the two. Like the movie saying goes, "Porsche..there is no substitute."
I always thought it was "Porsche..a really expensive VW"
Old 02-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

"nothing drives like a Porsche" well maybe a new C6 Z06 that said I would trade my 79 C3 for a 79 911 in a NY minute. Then why do I drive a C3 it cheaper to repair then an old 911.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:20 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

IMHO, tho I'm not a Porsche fan, the typical 911 seems a good bit more poised when approaching its limit than an un-prepped C3. But, if you ever drive one in anger you must pay earnest attention not to get bitten by TTO, as the 911 is more apt to catch a driver out who isn't used to hammering around bends in a rear engined car.

Since we are generally forced by the law (if not by common sense) to always leave some margin on the streets, I believe one reason many of us would prefer our C3's is because the 911 isn't challenging enough to drive at 75-90% to remain fulfilling, and all you're left with is a statement of fine engineering in a package that looked stale when it was originally designed. What the heck fun is that??

For my money, I'd rather grow fangs, claws and a uni-brow from having wrestled a shark (or even a dump-truck), anyday. My $.02

Old 02-14-2008, 09:40 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since we're talking about how beautifull and perfect the Porches have ALLWAYS been, and what a joke the C3s are in comparison, why don't you go sell your C3s and go buy a Porchee, then you can go to thier forum, (if they have them) and bash our "garbage C3s" thier. Oh, and while your at it, don't forget how well the ferraris of the same year handled, sure, they cost 4 times as much, but how about that italian leather? 70s-80s- 911 motors sound like a handfull of bolts in a speed dryer.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:55 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Bashing the 911 is not fair. I've driven several. Early 90's, an '03 and a '06. They are very nice cars and a lot of fun. The interior used to be so-so, but the new one ('05-up I think) is beautiful.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:08 PM
ML67
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tjhuyser
I always thought it was "Porsche..a really expensive VW"
That reminds me of an impromptu street race I saw a few years ago. Not far from where I live I was driving behind a 90’s vintage 911 and a clean 69 Z28 Camaro when they both went for it. Of course I wasn’t in my Corvette…. Well they pull away and at the next light I caught up with them. They are lined up as the Camaro is in the left lane waiting to make a left turn and the 911 driver leans out and shouts “nice car” to which the Z28 driver responded w/o missing a beat “nice Volkswagen!” I got a chuckle….
Old 02-14-2008, 10:10 PM
vettecrazy88
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed on performance, but IMHO same C3 year Porsches don't seen to turn as many heads.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:35 PM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Street Hotrod '70 911 w/3.6L Carrera 4 running gear, wide wheels, P0's, flares, slope nose, brembo, whatever vs CANAM502 (AKA The Rat Mobile )...

I took him on the inside in the middle of 3rd rolling on the skinny pedal and walked away effortlessly with 4th, 5th, and 6th yet to go...

I've driven his 911 track car and it goes very well and stops VERY well. It dosen't flatten your eyeballs but I wouldn't hold it against 'em. They are quick in the hands of a skilled driver.

I've driven a later model 996 (2000 in think was) with 3.6 TT motor and AWD. FAST and refined but not halfshaft twisting, motor mount snapping, annoy the neighbor's sidepipe blastin fast, but FUN.

Finally, one of the guys that works for me has a Mercedes 2 door sedan that is brutal with the safe mode button off... CL600 I think. V12 twin turbo. Has an AMG badge on it whatever that means. I've hammered it a time or to on the way back from lunch to dust off the chicken strips on the tires... It's a bit heavy at 4000 lbs but it is VERY nice stop light sleeper.

Cars are cool, but somebody has always got something faster than you...

Old 02-15-2008, 12:06 AM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Both cars are totally different, engine, size, weight, suspensions, engine location, trans, performance 'mentality', origin, tecnology content...(even both car drivers attitudes are different...): To try to compare them on an equal level is a lost battle before it even starts.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:16 AM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsches are very good handling cars... no question.
The turbo models are awesomely quick, too.
As one poster mentioned previously.... you can drive them very quickly without too much effort at all..... no real effort required.
Anyone can drive a Porsche.

But I would still rather drive MY 68 convertible.
I may not be as quick, but I sure as hell will have more fun.

....skipping sideways unexpectantly over bumps in mid-corner, grabbing a full turn of opposite lock as the tyres howl and the rear swings around... the heart skips a beat, you reassess the situation, holding an awkward stance, as you power on...and straighten up... then the sound.... that glorious sound of a V8 chevy spinning hard.. the staccato beat rising to a beautiful crescendo as you reach for that next gear.... or dive on the brakes, hopeful of pulling off enough speed as you start turning into the next corner to repeat the process...

And when you finish the session, you know you've worked bloody hard at it.....
Not everyone can drive a Corvette....
Old 02-15-2008, 01:05 AM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by panic
Both cars are totally different, engine, size, weight, suspensions, engine location, trans, performance 'mentality', origin, tecnology content...(even both car drivers attitudes are different...): To try to compare them on an equal level is a lost battle before it even starts.

I think I remember seeing an article from '68 where a Porsche 911 was compared to a '68 327 well optioned vette. Based on the results, the 911 would win, but not by much. I wonder why they didn't test the L88 against the 911!

Get notified of new replies

To C3 vs 911

Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Had a run-in with a few and I have to say they have come a long way

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1867282

Halfway through the turn I found myslef thinking,what the heck do I think Im doing trying to keep up speed in the turn with this guy??

All ended well though.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:06 AM
tjhuyser
Pro

Originally Posted by 84rzv500r

Cars are cool, but somebody has always got something faster than you...

didn't Chuck Yeager say that back in the 60's?
Old 02-15-2008, 06:07 AM
tjhuyser
Pro

Originally Posted by panic
agreed!! If you want to pick up a hot chick...drive a C-3...if you want to pick up an expensive wife...drive a porsche

Quick Reply: C3 vs 911