C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber gas boot filling with water

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:03 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default Rubber gas boot filling with water

This is a weird one guys. I installed a new aftermarket gas filler boot on my 68 and when i put water on the back of the car the boot fills up with water to about the center of the gas cap and i'm concerned that the water could be entering around the gas cap seal into the tank. There are no obstructions in the drain hose, it just appears that the drain hole was made too high in the boot. I tried to push the boot lower at the hole but it won't go any lower. Has anyone run into this with an aftermarket boot ?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:59 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

My 69...I'm sure it's aftermarket...

My 78...original...

I'll have to pour some water in my 69 and see what happens...never witnessed water in there except after washing...and sure just a little
remains...
Rich
Old 04-21-2008, 10:05 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ive had my boot fill to the top before, but it drains in only a few moments. i dont think ive had any water get into the tank that way.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:07 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Ok...just poured water in there...and it don't drain out all the way...just stays at bottom of gas cap....

I'll be back in a few...wife yelling at me for dinner...
Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Red70vette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please advise who supplied that part. I want to make sure I don't get that repro. I need to replace my boot and don't need those problems.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:40 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Red70vette
Please advise who supplied that part. I want to make sure I don't get that repro. I need to replace my boot and don't need those problems.
I checked ZIP and Corvette Central...both are same design...
Just went and looked at my 69 closer...the bottom of the drain hole (Nipple) is even with the bottom of gas cap...that's why all the water does not drain from mine...

Edit:
I see a simple solution...Ecklers is same,but they also show a gas filler neck hose "nipple" with a flange on it...I'm just going to relocate the drain to the bottom of the boot with the new nipple...

Rich

Last edited by rihwoods; 04-21-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:00 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red70vette
I bought mine through Corvette World in Greensburg Pa. but i don't know who the manufacturer is.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:02 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rihwoods
I checked ZIP and Corvette Central...both are same design...
Just went and looked at my 69 closer...the bottom of the drain hole (Nipple) is even with the bottom of gas cap...that's why all the water does not drain from mine...

Edit:
I see a simple solution...Ecklers is same,but they also show a gas filler neck hose "nipple" with a flange on it...I'm just going to relocate the drain to the bottom of the boot with the new nipple...

Rich
I'm not sure there is room on the bottom. My boot is down tight against the tank but the nipple seems to be too high on the boot.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:20 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by bj1k
I'm not sure there is room on the bottom. My boot is down tight against the tank but the nipple seems to be too high on the boot.
Yeah..I stuck my hand up there and hose just clears...I'm going to look for a larger nipple that will increase diameter and stick a larger hose on...that way position will be same...but water will drain better...

Good catch,btw...

My 78 is much better design...the boot is raised around filler tube,then slopes down to drain...
Old 04-22-2008, 02:31 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Just checked my 69 AIM...page J231....the pic shows same set up...the nipple goes thru boot horizontal....just like my boot...the gas filler "seal" (boot) is part 3923649(GM)...

So it matches the aftermarket ones by ZIP,Ecklers,Corvette Central...
Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rihwoods
Yeah..I stuck my hand up there and hose just clears...I'm going to look for a larger nipple that will increase diameter and stick a larger hose on...that way position will be same...but water will drain better...

Good catch,btw...

My 78 is much better design...the boot is raised around filler tube,then slopes down to drain...
Let me know if you find a bigger nipple ( no jokes from anyone ) and where you found it. That might help. It should stretch the opening so it is closer to the tank. If not , probably have to do a Bubba and cut a hole in the bottom of the boot and let the water drain on the top of the gas tank. Thats better than letting the water enter the gas cap.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:30 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by bj1k
Let me know if you find a bigger nipple ( no jokes from anyone ) and where you found it. That might help. It should stretch the opening so it is closer to the tank. If not , probably have to do a Bubba and cut a hole in the bottom of the boot and let the water drain on the top of the gas tank. Thats better than letting the water enter the gas cap.
I'll know by tomorrow...
Old 04-23-2008, 02:19 AM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I also get remnant water in the boot after washing, but it doesn't get into the tank.

Just use a chamois to mop up the water that's left after washing.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:40 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do we even need a boot there?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:07 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by sly vette
Why do we even need a boot there?
It's more for spilled gas than water actually...for incidental spills..

Which reminds me...
Once at a Chevron station,the gas nozzle did not "click off " while I was cleaning windows......I ran back to clear it,but gas had gushed into boot and down back of the 78...(this is an extreme example and drain could not keep up...).
Gas was all over around tires,etc...I pushed vette clear and had to remove tail light assemblies,drop spare tire tub as gas got into everything....since,I never leave nozzle unattended..
Old 04-23-2008, 09:17 AM
ragtag74
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ragtag74

I do not have a boot on my filler. I believe the purpose is to keep fuel or water from getting into the spare tire carrier.I do not have a carrier or a spare,so I don,t need a boot. John
Old 04-23-2008, 09:31 AM
DIPPOLD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure that the nipple is in tight with the boot and that the hose runs free all the way down. Maybe some dirt got into the hose.

Get notified of new replies

To Rubber gas boot filling with water

Old 04-23-2008, 09:43 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by DIPPOLD
Make sure that the nipple is in tight with the boot and that the hose runs free all the way down. Maybe some dirt got into the hose.
Hose is clear...bottom of nipple about 3/16" above boot low point...so water remains...
Old 04-23-2008, 01:18 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ragtag74
I do not have a boot on my filler. I believe the purpose is to keep fuel or water from getting into the spare tire carrier.I do not have a carrier or a spare,so I don,t need a boot. John

No boot for me and no problems!
Old 04-23-2008, 05:35 PM
johnwhoss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this happen to me. One of the rubber bumpers for the fuel filler door came off and clogged the little drain hole in the boot around the filler neck. I don't know how long it was plugged but it must have rained a couple of times and rain water seeped into my gas tank. I had to drain the tank to get the water out before it would start again.

Quick Reply: Rubber gas boot filling with water