C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'76 Floor Pan Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:10 AM
pete44
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '76 Floor Pan Replacement

Hello again...Have a 76 that I need floor pans replaced..Had a vette restorer tell me that to do it right you have to take body off frame...(Whew!)...I know I have a couple of busted body mounts and a radiator support that need replacing...How Much Cost and trouble???...Unfortunately,I do not have the equipment or man power to do this task......

Thanks,Pete
Old 05-15-2008, 11:15 AM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the middle of a frame-off with my own '76.

Cost: Not that much. I'm into this for about $1100 so far, plus the cost of painting the chassis and components. I'm lucky that not much of my car needed any serious work though. About $200 of that cost is for new bumper attachment hardware, and a few other bits of non-vital stuff.

Difficulty: It's really not that hard. Honestly. I'm doing it at home in my garage and I don't have any great skills. I'm documenting it as I go in a thread on the UK Club forum:
http://www.corvetteclub.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5429
Have a read through that and see if it's something you could do. Work has prevented me doing much on it over the last couple of months, but I got the body lifted off the chassis just two weeks after beginning the project, working some evenings each week.

Replacing the floor pans is something I don't fancy doing though, but only because I don't want to disturb the interior at this stage.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:33 PM
pete44
Instructor

Ben..thanks for the reply...nice car and pics..what cost you $1100...you said $200 went to some parts..my car is worse shape..Are the body mounts on body fiberglass?...2 of mine will have to be re-glassed if that is the case...Anyone else please chime in..Thanks Pete
Old 05-15-2008, 02:32 PM
NBC3
Racer

Originally Posted by pete44
Ben..thanks for the reply...nice car and pics..what cost you $1100...you said $200 went to some parts..my car is worse shape..Are the body mounts on body fiberglass?...2 of mine will have to be re-glassed if that is the case...Anyone else please chime in..Thanks Pete
Will this help?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...nt+replacement
CHeck down the page a ways for a diagram of the mounts and where they are located. Everything I have read says that they can be replaced one at a time by lifting the body with jacks in a sequential manner as you go.
Bst of luck. Its my next job too!
Old 05-17-2008, 04:29 AM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pete44
Hi Pete,

Here's a brief list of the significant things I bought for my body-off project:

trailing arm bushes, shims, bolts and pins
one rear brake rotor
handbrake cable boots/seals
diff seals, yokes, circlips, bush etc. $320
body mount reinforcement cups
body mount kit (bolts, rubbers, bushes etc.) $250
stainless brake and fuel lines and new clamps, bolts & junction blocks
splash shield seals
bumper attachment hardware (front + rear) $200
body lift straps $85
speed bleeders $54

There was lots of other stuff but these are the biggest bits. I used Paragon for the majority of them and I was very impressed. The brake and fuel lines I bought from Inline Tube in MI.

The biggest danger of tackling a job like replacing the floor pans is the "while I'm at it" syndrome. What could be a simple, quick job becomes long and expensive because you want to do more than you need to while you've got the opportunity.

Get notified of new replies

To '76 Floor Pan Replacement

Quick Reply: '76 Floor Pan Replacement