C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Diode Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:32 PM
firefighter C-3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Diode Question

I have an ,80 L48, the battery light started flickering then went solid on. I checked connections and belt then took it to the auto parts store to have the alt checked. They said a diode was bad. After the testing, on the drive home, the light was off and the voltmeter was at ~14V( before it was at 13V and would only rise slightly with ^rpm,s).

Question; Was their test wrong or can the diode work intermittantly or is it something else altogether?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:39 PM
wnmech
Drifting

When the diode trio goes bad they are bad they are basically a one way check valve only flowing current one way. It will cause a dimmly lit light What it sounds like to me is your internal voltage regulater is going bad. All are readily available at the local parts stores. You can overhaul our alternators for around $20 worth of parts. Very simple to repair.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:54 PM
firefighter C-3
Intermediate

Ihave an article from Corvette Enthusiest on how to replace diodes/reg/brushes. $20 sounds better than $80. The alt looks old, are the windings still good or am i better off w/ a quality reman? I plan to drive this car alot and out-of-state cruises.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I agree. It is doubtful that there is anything wrong with the diodes. It is more likely a corroded [internal] connection problem or possibly the voltage regulator.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:33 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

IMO, find yourself a quality reman unit....or a SI17 unit which is 108 amps off a '79 seville, slightly larger diameter but almost twice the available output....The repair kits are almost useless, as they do not cover the main power diodes in most of them that I have seen....the diode 'trio' runs the regulator but not the main power output to the 12 volt stud....

another upgrade is a CS144 unit, but some wiring needs changing...no biggie....

Old 07-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If you opt for another alternator, be sure to keep your old one if it's the original.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:02 PM
firefighter C-3
Intermediate

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the concise, useful and rapid info. I've decided to go w/ a quality reman unit 85 amps, the old alt is not orig.
Thanks again for the info, Jeff
Old 07-17-2008, 02:06 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Default I have fixed a few of those myself

The diode trio looks like a computer chip and is there for the warning light circuit. If the alternator output is good but the dash warning light is "on" then you need to take the alternator apart and test the diode trio. This is easily done with a common multi-meter. Set the meter to Ohms and check for continuity on all 3 of the leads, one at a time. Measure for resistance in one direction on all 3 then reverse the red and black probes and do that test again with the test leads reversed. You are looking for continuity in one direction only on all 3 leads. If any one of the 3 leads has continuity in both directions, you need a new diode trio. This problem will show up as a warning light even if the output is still good.

You can also check the main diode rectifier bridge the same way. It looks like an aluminum heat sink with 3 threaded studs on it. Check the same way as the diode trio looking for continuity between the individual studs and the aluminum heat sink. Then check again in the other direction.

Hope this helps,

-Mark.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:50 PM
74/L82/4spd
Intermediate

Diodes are either bad or not bad, never intermittent. I have seen rectifier bridges, and diode trios have one bad diode and they will drain your battery. If the dash light is coming on it usually is the regulator, or the brushes.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator Diode Question

Quick Reply: Alternator Diode Question