C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In car L48 HP upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:50 PM
ochsy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In car L48 HP upgrades

I'm asking for advice as to what bolt ons would improve the anemic stock HP and Torque ratings of a stock 74 L48, but I'd rather not pull out an otherwise perfectly good stock engine that runs great.

Headers obviously, but as far as raising the compression a bit, would you go with a set of vortec heads, or a newer non-egr set already built from AFR or Bodix, etc?

Are the pistons dished to get the stock 8.5:1 compression,and can they be pulled from the bottom? I don't own an engine stand or hoist therefore I don't want a full blown build up. Just maybe 350 or so ft-lbs for some more low end grunt. I won't and don't rev anything really high.

If you pull the radiator will the cam come out the front, because I have the feeling that you guys are going to say that the cam has to come out for a real improvement?

If you know of a full set up or kit of parts to buy it would be very helpful.

Ochsy-74 L48.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Attfay Elleybay
Burning Brakes

Headers, No cat. duel exhaust.
Newer heads.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Stock compression is closer to 8.2:1 No pistons can not be removed/installed from the bottom. The top yes. You'll need some compression to make any power but if the rest of the motor is tired like bad rings, you're just wasting time and money.

A cheap build can be done with something like a set of S/R Torquer heads, a Summit k-1102 cam kit, Performer intake manifold and dual exhaust with or without headers.

If you want aluminum heads and small combustion chambers, something like the Trick Flows with their 56cc heads will make you around 10:1 so you can run a bigger cam like a comp XE 262 or 268.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:04 AM
chevr0letman
Advanced

Default Dupe

Yes you can remove and replace the camshaft if you fully remove the radiator and the Air Conditioning Condenser Module if applicable.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:28 AM
smon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you considered looking at a new crate engine. I went your route and tried getting more power out of my l48... now i have a year one 350 crate in there. It wasnt worth the money to try aand beef up my old motor. i would swap and store that one, maybe rebuild at a later date. If you dont go with a new engine now you could upgrade with parts that could be used with a new motor later...like headers/exhaust.

my 2 cents

Sean
Old 07-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Vette79C3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevr0letman
Yes you can remove and replace the camshaft if you fully remove the radiator and the Air Conditioning Condenser Module if applicable.

You don't need to remove the AC condenser to remove the cam...

Get notified of new replies

To In car L48 HP upgrades

Quick Reply: In car L48 HP upgrades