C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lonestar brake calipers - o-ring vs lip sealed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:08 PM
GunPowder
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Lonestar brake calipers - o-ring vs lip sealed

Hi,

I recently purchased 3 Lonestar reman. stainless sleved o-ring calipers from Willcox (btw - I highly recommend the Willcox service!). I already had one ss o-ring caliper (left front).
I received 3 "O-RING" stamped boxes with the calipers. While installing the first caliper (right front) I realized a different behavior of the pistons compared to my o-ring caliper. The pistons of the new calipers can be moved very easily, piston are pushed out by the spring and the pistons tilt very easily. AFAIK these are all features of lip sealed calipers and not of o-ring calipers.

I asked Lonestar if there is a way to determine whether the calipers are o-ring or lip sealed without opening the dust seals (e.g. some marks on the reman. housings). No answer so far - has anybody a hint?

Basically I have not a problem with lip sealed calipers (yes I am aware of advantages and disadvantages). But I am concerned to mix an o-ring caliper (my old one) with a (possible) lip sealed caliper on the front due to (assumed) different response times of the calipers. Which may result in a time lag and different brake forces between right and left brake. Are these concerns unnecessary?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

The lip seal pistons will tilt (****) in the bore and I don't believe the O'ring ones will. You paid for O'ring calipers, you should have gotten O'ring calipers. They are much better than the lip seal type as they won't suck air if you have a little rotor runout.

Last edited by Duke94; 10-13-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Thousands of consumers have mixed O-ring type with lip type seal with no noticeable effect. Don't worry about it.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:48 PM
69elky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only thing I'd like to add is since I went to the "O" rings I have not had any recurrent leaks associated with the lip seals.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:39 PM
DEMITRISTYLES
Drifting

Location: You Can't Buy Cool, No Friggin' Way - Mississauga Ontario
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69elky
Only thing I'd like to add is since I went to the "O" rings I have not had any recurrent leaks associated with the lip seals.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:57 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LoneStar Calipers, sent back for a refund. not again.

What about straight didn't they understand?

Get notified of new replies

To Lonestar brake calipers - o-ring vs lip sealed

Quick Reply: Lonestar brake calipers - o-ring vs lip sealed