C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does a choke pull off do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Default What does a choke pull off do?

I have just read Lar's New Tech article "How to Set Up a Q-Jet Choke" and will put this to good work this weekend on a 1978 Vette.

While studying it I am trying to figure out the role of the choke pull off.

BTW - Lars wherever you are thanks!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:13 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 98MustGT
I have just read Lar's New Tech article "How to Set Up a Q-Jet Choke" and will put this to good work this weekend on a 1978 Vette.

While studying it I am trying to figure out the role of the choke pull off.

BTW - Lars wherever you are thanks!
The choke plate needs to be completely closed to "choke" and draw fuel in but once the engine fires it needs air so the "choking' needs stop and the the pulloff opens the choke plate a little and lets air in.It pulls the choke off or open.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:47 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

The choke pulloff does exactly what DWncchs describes - it cracks the choke open about 1/4" once the engine starts, to prevent the engine from flooding out from the fully closed choke plate.

On a Q-Jet carb, the pulloff additionally acts as a secondary airvalve opening rate controller or damper. Think of it as the damper on your front screen door on your house: The spring on the door produces a "preload," but the damper keeps the door from "flopping" or "slamming" open at an uncontrolled rate. The pulloff, thus, helps produce a smooth secondary transition on your Q-Jet carb.

Get notified of new replies

To What does a choke pull off do?

Quick Reply: What does a choke pull off do?