C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Aluminum Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:31 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
, India, SE Asia, Mexico, Japan, millions of slaves working to undermine what is basically OUR jobs....

Wait a few years when all these now 'third world' economies have cars, nice houses, etc etc - we won't be paying 'peanuts' for their goods then (and its already starting to happen) lets just hope we still have some of the skills and infrastructure to start re-manufacturing all these products lost to overseas suppliers
Old 12-28-2008, 06:04 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlockTank
Tom,
The first time I saw one of your posts, I thought you were arrogant.
BBTank
I understand that...there is a fine line between arrogant and knowledgeable, especially when your words are in text.

I also understand that money is tight and we're all trying to save money. My only point with this thread is, while there are a lot of cheaper radiators going around they simply do not have the quality that we build into ours.

I started building Corvette radiators 18 years ago and then there was three companies offering them including us. Today there are over 25 companies selling Corvette aluminum radiators. Note I said "selling" radiators, not making them. Here is a typically example of what's going on. Let's take on a ebayer Champion Cooling system in Irvine Cal. They say all their stuff is built right there in there plant in Irvine but the building is the size of a dentist office. Right across the street from IHOP.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:16 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
I understand that...there is a fine line between arrogant and knowledgeable, especially when your words are in text.
Without a doubt! You have to decide for yourself how to take what you just read. You don't have the advantage of hearing the tone it was said in and the expresion on the person's face when they said it.

Having had the pleasure to meet you and speak to you in person your cooling system knowledge alone justifies the price of your radiators. You provide a great product Tom and the knowledge you supply with it is "priceless".

Last edited by 3JsVette; 12-29-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:29 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by roscobbc
Wait a few years when all these now 'third world' economies have cars, nice houses, etc etc - we won't be paying 'peanuts' for their goods then (and its already starting to happen) lets just hope we still have some of the skills and infrastructure to start re-manufacturing all these products lost to overseas suppliers
So what we supposed to DO until then, starve?? farm??,

in '60 or so, little did I know the American electronics industry would be held hostage by the Japanese, and the .gov would do nothing to help.....so after 15 years in consumer electronics watching all the production houses fall to unfair trade practices, and spending 5 more as a small electronics company tech and engineering aide only to see it sold south.....I checked out on the industry in '85

so far they can't remodel houses from over there, about the only damn thing they can't do....

nothing against them having a car/electronics/.comm industry, but keep it over there, not here.....

shipping production house goods in a freighter over the ocean to save a nickel makes NO sense what so ever.....

I could get into the economics of it even further, but WE the American workers have lost the battle....

Old 12-28-2008, 08:38 PM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Living in Australia, getting original correct parts for Corvettes is costly due to transport and exchange rates.

However, getting a component which actually works well for its designed purpose is worth the extra.

I fitted a Dewitts radiator in my 68 vert and it runs cool even in 100*+ temps here in Adelaide, South Australia.

I've heard (and experienced) too many cases of the false economy of cheap parts.
Do it once, but do it right! is my current philosophy.
It saves time, headaches, heartaches and money!
If you are building a keeper, you won't regret the extra cost.

Tom's radiators have the respect amongst the Corvette fraternity for appearance, reliability and operational integrity. It certainly should provide an additional tick of approval for prospective purchasers of vettes too, as it is an indication of quality components used to rebuild.

Happy New Year everyone!
May these difficult economic times pass quickly for all of us.

regards
ozzietom
Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Tom

I agree you get what you pay for, great job with the education. Most of us have fallen into the trap of purchasing a product and found it was not what we where told. You may get me once even twice but never a third time. I have your radiator in my car and it is a great product and performs better than what I was told.

I appreciate your commitment to quality with your products.

Dennis
Old 12-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Copper and brass for me. I don't have $400+ to pay for an aluminum radiator. Car hasn't overheated yet.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:39 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also understand that money is tight and we're all trying to save money. My only point with this thread is, while there are a lot of cheaper radiators going around they simply do not have the quality that we build into ours.

I started building Corvette radiators 18 years ago and then there was three companies offering them including us. Today there are over 25 companies selling Corvette aluminum radiators. Note I said "selling" radiators, not making them. Here is a typically example of what's going on. Let's take on a ebayer Champion Cooling system in Irvine Cal. They say all their stuff is built right there in there plant in Irvine but the building is the size of a dentist office. Right across the street from IHOP.

Tom, I think you're right again. As I said further down in my post, your radiator made #6 from different companies that went (and stayed) in my car. I had so many problems. I have told 3 other people about your radiators, adn pointed out the highlights of your versus the others, 2 of which I still have in my garage for that comparison.

Again, thanks for what you do for this hobby of ours. BBTank

Last edited by BigBlockTank; 12-29-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have one of Tom's radiators in my '79. I tried 4 different radiators (2 from summit and 2 from jegs) before I called Tom. I really could not understand why he placed such a high sanction on his product, but after talking to him for 15 or 20 mins - after he was closed for the day - I ordered one. And it is everything everyone says. Super easy to install, no more over heating, no more worry. I'll buy another when the time comes.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

At least he is showing why the radiator costs as much as it does. Most businesses won't do that.

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 01-02-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:21 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

I have a general question did the fuelie cars all have a Aluminum Radiators and the low HP cars have copper . Or were all aluminum
Old 06-28-2015, 10:35 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I have been under the impression Griffin also makes their own cores because I have a video of them assembling their cores and then brazing them in a furnace.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:22 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

As in most things in life, you get what you pay for. These VERY low dollar aftermarket radiators have plastic tanks and are glued together. Having said that, it is also fair to say that many (if not most) of the present day cars are built with that type radiator in them today.

As with all things, the car owner has to decide what is appropriate for his/her car. If it's a 'beater' that just sees occassional use, maybe the cheapo radiator is doable. But, if you value your car and want to eliminate cooling system failure risk, one that is better made would be a wiser choice.

P.S. Copper used to be less expensive than aluminum. No more....
Old 06-29-2015, 06:45 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
i think aluminium radiators are great that they cool slightly better. if they are just a cheap replacement radiator like the ones with plastic tanks for example then thats great too as most ppl can afford to throw it out every 5-8 years or so when it has taken some punishment but when you get a custom one made or a big dollar replacement and it leaks 6 months down the track due to a smash/electrolysis/corrosion etc etc they arent worth it. they can't be repaired like a copper/brass radiator or get a new core every 10years if need be , thats why ill be sticking to that style from now on.having said that dewitts is the only aluminium rad i would have if i couldnt have a copper/brass one.
I replaced the radiator in my Ford van with a Ford radiator three times in 10 years . It was to thin and cheap to fix the shops told me, they even tried , but as they said they failed. These were like 500.00 apiece.

So I ve had seven after market since ...two of one brand had one year warranties .....they lasted maybe three years together .

I have had FIVE NAPA radiators in six years .......they have life time warrenty , but almost exactly at the 12 month mark they go out .

Been my only complaint with the van and really only issue in 20 years.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:16 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rtruman
I have a general question did the fuelie cars all have a Aluminum Radiators and the low HP cars have copper . Or were all aluminum
All C2 (63-67) small block, including FI used the same aluminum radiator. This radiator (3155316) was carried over to C3 (68-72 only) on base cars without AC, Air, or special engine.

PS: you should have started a new thread instead of reserecting a seven year old thread.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:19 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
I have been under the impression Griffin also makes their own cores because I have a video of them assembling their cores and then brazing them in a furnace.
They do, but they do not do CAB brazing, which is now the industry standard. It stands for Controlled Atmospere Brazing. A process used by every auto manufacturer today. They use older technology vaccuum brazing and then fill the tube and header joints with epoxy.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

All C2 (63-67) small block, including FI used the same aluminum radiator. This radiator (3155316) was carried over to C3 (68-72 only) on base cars without AC, Air, or special engine.

PS: you should have started a new thread instead of reserecting a seven year old thread.
Thanks Tom I have purchased 3 so far from you all way back in 1991
all worked fine even after I moved them on to the new owners.

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap Aluminum Radiators

Old 06-29-2015, 07:44 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Broke down and bought one for my A body, running temps overall were a touch cooler but what I really noticed is the temp drops quicker overall and the fan doesnt run quite as much. Fabbing an air foil similar to say an S10 would take care of that. Unfortunately I have an issue with mine which Tom said hed take care of when I got around to pulling it back out
that was exactly a yr ago (cars been in storage, having a hard time walking). Good to know theres some cust svc though hard to put a price on that.

Tom do you make these for an 02 1500 Silverado? Still got the stocker but sure at some point it will go and refuse to put an auto pts store brand in there, I know better.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:44 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

I have a 70 BB 454 with AC that came with a copper radiator. I want to enlarge the engine to about 496 or 502. Will your BB 70 aluminum radiator be adequate for about 50 extra cubic inches?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2015, 11:09 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I have a 70 BB 454 with AC that came with a copper radiator. I want to enlarge the engine to about 496 or 502. Will your BB 70 aluminum radiator be adequate for about 50 extra cubic inches?

Thanks
A good functioning original copper one would probably do the job. I say this a lot, but I don't think people hear me so I will say it again...The BB radiator used for 69-72 (27.5") is the highest capacity radiator used in any Corvette ever made. The SB radiator used for the same period (26.6") was second place. These are huge radiators by todays standards and have a lot of BTU capabilities. Is our aluminum radiator still an upgrade? Yes, it increases the BTU by 25% more but not everyone needs that additonal cooling. You could try your factory radiator to see how it does. If its not enough, you have the option of re-coring the copper one or upgrading to aluminum. Fortunately for me, copper and the labor to solder is now more expensive than the aluminum radiator.

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 07-01-2015 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Cheap Aluminum Radiators