C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new Motor Oil that might be worth a look

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:02 PM
540 RAT
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Default A new Motor Oil that might be worth a look

I have no connection to any oil company at all, but I thought I'd share a new development that some may not be aware of yet. Castrol just came out with a new motor oil (for the USA at least) that they call "Edge", and independent engine wear tests they reference, say it offers 8X better wear protection than Mobil 1. And Valvoline Synpower engine wear tests show only 4X times better wear protection than Mobil 1. So, that makes Edge catch one's attention.

http://www.castroledgeusa.com/?utm_s...n=Castrol_EDGE

If you didn't go far enough on the above link, this FAQ link for "Edge" motor oil, may answer a lot of questions that gearheads might have:

http://www.castroledgeusa.com/?utm_s...GE#/browse/faq

If Edge offers wear protection this good, it may even be worth considering for older flat tappet motors as well, even with the reduced zinc/phos that newer oils have now. And in case you didn't catch it, they claim that even Royal Purple can't beat the new "Edge" in terms of wear protection. So, it does sound like a very good motor oil worthy of consideration. But I have not seen any prices on it yet.

Looks like the motor oil companies are really getting serious about competing with each other, and that's good for all of us.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:44 PM
TheFinn
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, Castrol Edge products have been available over this side of the pond for a while now - I'd say about two years or so. Here they are available as Castrol Edge 5W-30 and Castrol Edge Sport 0W-40 and 10W-60. For some reason Castrol products seem to be considerable more expensive here than their rivals such as Mobil and Valvoline but nevertheless excellent products.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Will it work for "H" beam rod motors or "I" beam only?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Oil...As long as we're on the subject...

Here is some lab test info so we can compare a series of oil performance in a laboratory oil evaluation tests and how several (including the posters Castrol) compare. Some are consistently on the low performance side of the tests, and some seem to fair consistantly on the side if the best of the best, but they all swap places a little bit from test to test. Purdy intorestink!!

http://synthetic-motor-oil-air-filte...omparisons.htm

Check out the 4-ball wear test...

http://www.lubes-n-filters.com/faq/four-ball.html

Bottom line, these are some laboratory tests that are objective and (I find) are really helpful in evaluating what goes in my wife's L46 and my LT5. But, see what y'all think. Oh, BTW, look at the (std) Pennzoil performance. Somehow (now) it doesn't seem such a surprise why my wife's L46 wiped a cam last summer. We were taking it to the Pennzoil "quick lube" joint for over 3 years for her oil changes. No more!!

Nuttin like wiping a cam to get one interested in lubrication, I can tell ya!

P.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:04 PM
540 RAT
Pro

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Here is some lab test info so we can compare a series of oil performance in a laboratory oil evaluation tests and how several (including the posters Castrol) compare. Some are consistently on the low performance side of the tests, and some seem to fair consistantly on the side if the best of the best, but they all swap places a little bit from test to test. Purdy intorestink!!

Check out the 4-ball wear test...

http://www.lubes-n-filters.com/faq/four-ball.html

Bottom line, these are some laboratory tests that are objective and (I find) are really helpful in evaluating what goes in my wife's L46 and my LT5. But, see what y'all think. Oh, BTW, look at the (std) Pennzoil performance. Somehow (now) it doesn't seem such a surprise why my wife's L46 wiped a cam last summer. We were taking it to the Pennzoil "quick lube" joint for over 3 years for her oil changes. No more!!

Nuttin like wiping a cam to get one interested in lubrication, I can tell ya!

P.
Here's some more lab test data for you below. Both Valvoline's Synpower and Castrol's Edge independent engine wear tests showed much better wear protection than Mobil 1. Your link to the 4 Ball wear test results showed the same thing when compared to Amsoil. And all 3 of those tests are consistent with that Australian Car magazine's oil film strength lab test from awhile back, and its results with Mobil 1. So that gives further legitimacy to that Australian lab test as being a valid reference to a running engine. Some Mobil 1 users didn't like this lab test because it made their favorite oil look bad. But considering all the above test data showed the same thing, its kind of hard to argue with now. Check it out and see what you think:

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 PM
ED69ray
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/hotrod/index.html

My engine builer swears by this stuff.

I plan to run it in my 350 when its completed.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 PM
boeing46
Racer

I saw this report on Mobil 1 oil on tv quite awhile ago. It it compared good standard motor oil on the Vegas cabs vs Mobile 1. I was quite impressed with the minimal engine wear with the Mobil after 1 year vs the standard oil based oil. I found it on youtube and is an interesting video.
It mostly point out that that there is far less engine wear with the Mobil.
Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KGll3zsJFY
Old 02-12-2009, 08:49 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

I only use royal purple, why try to go cheaper?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Joe GIbbs and Brad Penn are some of the best. Forget about Diesel oil now that we have low emissions Dieael motors and all the ZDDP is being removed from it too.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:28 PM
69Top
2nd Gear

My diesel oil is a new formula now.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:44 PM
540 RAT
Pro

Originally Posted by boeing46
It mostly point out that that there is far less engine wear with the Mobil.
Far less engine wear with MOBIL 1??? I guess you missed these which all say just the opposite:

then click on the 4-ball wear test

http://www.valvoline.com/synpower-we...er%2Bpromotion

http://www.castroledgeusa.com/?utm_s...GE#/browse/faq
click on "get answers", and then on number 7

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
scroll through to find Mobil 1

It suprises me that anyone would still use Mobil 1 when there are synthetics out there that are SO MUCH better.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

According to Castrols FAQ Edge oil is primary service API SM . That means its limited to the 750 ppm P for viscosity 10W-30 & under. Not a good choice for vintage flat tappet engines.

Last edited by Donald #31176; 02-13-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:41 PM
boeing46
Racer

I would just like to ask all you guys out here that know allot more than i do about older motors which of all these motor oil examples would you use?
Company tests and promotions can tell ya anything ya want.
All my vehicles are from my 81 Vette to my 2003 motor home with the ford V10. I just want my motors to last longer, run cooler, have less wear especially on the motor home that sits allot.
I have for many years always changed my oil a 3 months or 3,000 miles and gotten up to 170,000 miles and still ran like new with Quaker State since i bought my 82 Silverado brand new.
I'm not exaggerating that with 170,000 my truck still ran like new and used 1 quart between oil changes. I got a lil puff of smoke when it started but thats all.
So what's the consensus of yawl that know more than me about the Edge motor oil?
Old 02-13-2009, 06:07 PM
540 RAT
Pro

Originally Posted by Donald #31176
According to Castrols FAQ Edge oil is primary service API SM . That means its limited to the 750 ppm P for viscosity 10W-30 & under. Not a good choice for vintage flat tappet engines.
According to the motor oil chemical engineers at Royal Purple, your flat tappet statement is not true. Consider the following:

Below is some data a guy on another Forum said he found on the new Castrol Edge motor oil:

Zinc = 941
Phos = 823
Moly = 129

Below is some lab data I got on Royal Purple Street oil, when I sent it in for testing:

Zinc = 864
Phos = 737
Moly = 127

So as you can see, they are both modern type oils with reduced zinc/phos from what older oils had. But the Royal Purple tech guys told me that gear head types get way too caught up in all the zinc/phos numbers. And according to them, motor oil chemical engineers will tell you the zinc/phos level is only a PART of the overall puzzle. And that you must consider any given oil as a whole, not just how much zinc/phos is in it, to predict its wear prevention characteristics. Also an oil's basic specs or lab tests used to verify those specs do not in any way indicate or measure an oils full friction reducing/anti-wear capabilities. And the RP guys say that their proprietary "Synerlec" additive will provide better protection against metal to metal contact than any elevated amount of zinc/phos alone, will. In fact, levels of zinc/phos that are too high, become abrasive, so there is a balance to maintain. That being the case, just looking at the specs will not tell you how good or bad the new Castrol Edge motor oil is. That's where those independent lab, engine wear tests that Edge references, comes in. THAT is what gives good info on engine protection, not the amount of zinc/phos all by themselves. According to those referenced tests, even Royal Purple did not beat the new Edge. So, it looks to me that both RP and Edge may well be worthy of running even in a flat tappet motor.

And as a matter of fact, I've proven this to some degree, in a flat tappet 283 that I own myself. I ran RP street oil in it for about a year with no issue (granted, it is not a high spring pressure race motor), other than, after sitting for quite awhile, that synthetic RP would bleed out of the lifters. Then on start-up, it would clatter, which I really didn't like. So, ultimately I went back to dino oil, which never did that. But running that modern low zinc/phos RP never caused any cam/lifter wear issues at all, and it certainly never wiped a lobe. If it weren't for the lifter clatter, I'd still be running that low zinc/phos RP in it. And I wouldn't be at all afraid to use the new low zinc/phos Edge either. The bottom line is that, an oil absolutely does not need high levels of zinc/phos to provide outstanding anti-wear properties. Its not about zinc/phos levels alone, but rather the overall anti-wear additive package. But of course, by no means are all oils created equal. And as near as I have been able to tell, it appears that of the modern new-car type oils, only Royal Purple Street oil, the new Castrol Edge, and also perhaps Valvoline Synpower, are worthy of using in flat tappet motors.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 PM
540 RAT
Pro

Originally Posted by boeing46
So what's the consensus of yawl that know more than me about the Edge motor oil?
Its just now coming out in the US, so those of us here wouldn't have any experience with it yet. I understand its been out a couple of years in Europe and/or Australia and has been well received. Between that and the test data they reference, it sounds pretty good. It appears to offer wear protection as good as Royal Purple street oil (which has been the industry leader in wear prevention), yet Edge has earned even more approval ratings than RP. I've been using Royal Purple for some time now, and I like it just fine, but I may just give Edge a try at my next oil change.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

If you use a API CI-4 or CJ-4 oil the P content is about 1100-1200 ppm or about the same pre API SL rating. Also the dispersant and antacid additive package is richer as a diesel engine runs in a much harsher environment than a spark ignition engine. Save your money by not using boutique synthetic oils and instead use the savings on a quality filter.

Last edited by Donald #31176; 02-13-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A new Motor Oil that might be worth a look

Quick Reply: A new Motor Oil that might be worth a look