C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th 400 vacuum question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:46 PM
76projectstingray
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Th 400 vacuum question

I still have been trying to get my Th 400 trans to down shift on a regular basis. In the mean time I Changed the Vacuum modulator and wanted to make the trans shift a little later. Does anyone know which way to turn the adjuster screw in the vacuum port to make the trans shift a little later? I turned it out 1 turn ( 1/2 turn at a time) ,but it didn't seem to make the trans shift any later.

I did this years ago with a TH350 and I did notice a difference.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:29 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

That adjustment is a rather 'coarse' one. The individual downshift points are set by spring rates in the shift valve system, inside the valve body. The vacuum modulator is just meant to modify the entire shift pattern set, either 'higher' or 'lower', depending on which way the adjustment screw is turned. Turning that screw just changed the spring load on the modulator pin which helped regulate system pressure in the valve body. If you get no change at all, the vacuum level to the modulator may be too low for you to be getting any modulation at all. It was designed to see about 18" Hg vacuum at engine idle. If you are much lower than that, yours may not be working as intended.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:30 PM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been adjusting mine lately.

I believe it is clockwide to shift later.

You need to make a complete turn to even notice.

I would crank it all the way in then back off 1/2 turn and work your way back-wards. If you leave it all the way in, it will not shift the first time out. Ask me how I know.....

It will only make 3-4MPH of difference. Any more than that, the weights in the governer need to be changed.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:36 PM
76projectstingray
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, if you need to turn it clockwise to shift later than I was going the wrong way. I will try it clockwise.

Get notified of new replies

To Th 400 vacuum question

Quick Reply: Th 400 vacuum question