C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350 fluid leak at speedo cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Default TH350 fluid leak at speedo cable

Besides the O ring around the speedometer gear sleeve, is there supposed to be a seal or gasket as part of the speedo cable? I also replaced the lip seal inside the gear sleeve. I'm getting fluid leaking out around the speedometer cable where it attaches to the transmission.

TIA

Last edited by Scott Marzahl; 04-04-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 PM
mint79
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem with mine, replaced the "o" ring, still drips, Someone will chime in!
Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Inside the speedo sleeve there's a little wire retainer and a rubber seal. Easy fix. I'd pull the adapter (speedo sleeve) out and look at the shaft on the gear. That little seal will wear a groove around the gear. Either replace the gear or install another seal on top of the original one. (Before I get flamed, yes, it IS kind of a Bubba fix, but it will work short term).
Old 04-04-2009, 09:26 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i have the same problem with mine i have changed the sleeve and the gear and i still have a leak any idea?
Old 04-05-2009, 12:06 AM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished fixing the leak in mine. On my TH350 there is an oring on the outside and a pressed in seal on the end of the gear housing. When the driven gear is installed the pressed seal keeps the end of the gear shaft sealed. Mine was leaking into the into speedo cable and coming out the threads where it connects to the bullet. I got my seal from the parts store, once I found someone who knew how to look in the books. I could not find the seal alone online, just vendors selling the bullet with the oring and seal installed. Here is a site selling the whole bullet if you can't find the seal. http://www.transmissioncenter.org/sp...ar_housing.htm

Get notified of new replies

To TH350 fluid leak at speedo cable

Quick Reply: TH350 fluid leak at speedo cable