C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 05:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

1971 Small Block - Radiator Pukes out Coolant from Overflow Drain Hose

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:27 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Default 1971 Small Block - Radiator Pukes out Coolant from Overflow Drain Hose

Hey Guys. I've got a weird one here I can't figure out. Just recently purchased a 71 Convertible w/ LT-1 motor, no a/c, 4spd, w/ 4:11 gears. My problem is that quite regularly the radiator will puke out quite a bit of coolant out of the overflow drain hose. It does not have the overflow tank, just a rubber hose attached at the radiator cap. While driving, idling, etc., it runs at a constant 195 degrees or so +/- some, with absolutely no overheating problems. However, when I come to a stop or shut the car off when stopping for gas or whatever, I notice a huge puddle of coolant that has drained out from the drain hose. After getting back home and the car has cooled off, I usually have to add back a gallon or more of coolant.

I am at a loss as to what is going on. Do any of you have any ideas?

Thanks so much and looking forward to some feedback!!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Kevins77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its normal. You need a reservoir for that tube to go into. When a radiator gets hot, the fluid expands, and it will spit it out. Thats the normal function of all radiators. This is also why you are adding fluid even when it doesn't spit any out, as you normally fill the reservoir to the fill line for the fluid to be sucked back in when the car cools off.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:31 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Hey thanks for the info. Just seems really strange to be draining out so much at once. Does not appear that the car ever came with the overflow tank from day 1. I see the dimples in the pass side fender where the tank should mount, but they have never been drilled out. Definately considering adding one... Thanks for your feedback!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A gallon is not normal. Sounds like your radiator cap is weak, as the system pressurizes, if the cap is weak, it will push an excessive amount of coolant out, replace it. 16 or 18lb cap. some spill is normal, but not that much. 2nd, add a coolant overflow bottle, so the overflow can be captured and sucked back in on cool down, Also look around the cap seal area on the rad for distortions and dents, straighten any you find, the cap needs a good seat. C.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:13 AM
wytevette
Advanced

I have had two vehicles do what you are describing to me, and both of them had to have a new head gasket installed. The head gasket was leaking cylinder pressure into the coolant system and over pressurizing it.

Hopefully that is not your problem, and a new radiator cap will solve it for you.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:13 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Stuck thermostat will cause this too. combination of stuck stat and weak cap will do it for sure!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

The LT1s did not have over flow or expansion tanks. The expansion was done in the radiator. You can never fill it up to the top and expect it to stay there. It will find its own level. Mine will usually stay about 3 inches or so below the cap and maintain that. This is normal.

A gallon of fluid does seem like a lot. Let it cool down and see how low it goes. If it is a few inches you are good and this allows for expansion. To low and you may have other issues.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
The LT1s did not have over flow or expansion tanks. The expansion was done in the radiator. You can never fill it up to the top and expect it to stay there. It will find its own level. Mine will usually stay about 3 inches or so below the cap and maintain that. This is normal.

A gallon of fluid does seem like a lot. Let it cool down and see how low it goes. If it is a few inches you are good and this allows for expansion. To low and you may have other issues.
correct in every detail!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Thanks so much for your feedback and everyone elses!! I will check some things over this weekend and let you all know what I find.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Ward72
Instructor

There is a mark on the side outside of the radiator indicating the fill level..my 72 has it; don't fill above this. Also, ensure the sealing surface (where the cap seats) on the radiator is clean and no gouges and that the rubber ring on the cap is clean and not cut. if these are not clean and in good shape, the radiator will push water pass this point. If both are ok, I agree with above, change the cap.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine does exactly the same thing, always has. New caps, new engines still the same. Just means you're filling too much. Do what Gordo mentions and you'll be fine. I fill about 1 inch above bottom entry hole. It is what it is.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

I had the same problem, head gasket leak.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Q's 68
Racer

Same thing on my 68 SB. Once I stopped continuing to try to refill the resivoir everytime, it stopped puking and seemed to have found a comfortable level. Runs at about 180 steady with a new t-stat installed last year.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same problem on my 71. Installed new cap, kept cold level to the line on the radiator but it still happened. Installed a new DeWitt radiator and the problem went away. Cannot explain why...maybe my old radiator wasn't cooling properly...but I didn't care cause it stopped puking green.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

sounds like everyone has you covered already. New owners often overfill the radiator.
Let me quote from the 1968 Corvette Owners Manual. I am guessing 71 is similar, but check your owner's manual.

Level should be 3" below bottom of filler neck when cold
That's THREE INCHES !! Now I invite you to stick a ruler in your radiator and see how far 3" is. (It's a long way down) Most new owners will fill well above that level. I was doing it for a while and had lots of coolant on my driveway to show for it!

And it's a good idea to add a non-stock incorrect plastic overflow tank to give you a little peace of mind, avoid embarassing situations (Hey! your car is peeing all over my driveway!!) and keep your pets safe.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Hey guys, thanks for all of your feedback. As I am a new (old) corvette owner, I am also new to this forum. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and ideas!! I did a little snooping around tonight...like a couple of you had mentioned, I did in fact find the words "Full Cold" with an arrow pointing upwards on the side of the radiator where the drain hose hangs down. I was quite suprised to see how low this mark/line was. I haven't measured exactly how far, but appears to be at least 2-3 inches from the top. I must say that I currently have the tank filled higher than that right now. Oops....My fault!

Paying attention to the radiator cap, I found that what is on there is a Stant "Vent-A-Lever" Cap with a 7lb rating. I am certain this is not factory. RunningMan373 suggested replacing the cap with a 16-18lb cap. Not that i'm doubting him, but is this what most of you use? If 16-18 is correct, than whats on my vette now could quite possibly be my problem (other than me overfilling the radiator). Either way, I will most likely replace the cap. I have no clue how old the one on there is. I'll wait to purchase it however until I hear what you all have to say and suggest to buy. Thanks again guys!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

Just looked, I have a 13 lb on my radiator and a 16 lb on my overflow tank. Think I'm the wrong guy to ask.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:34 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Gordonm

And (I believe) '71 a/c cars don't have the overflow/expansion tank either. Mine likes to stay about 2 inches from the top. Anything above that ends up on the ground. Try a new cap and don't refill it to the top.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:11 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: Well guys. I finally replaced the radiator cap with a 15lb rating cap. As I mentioned before, the car had a 7lb cap...one of those Stant Vent-A-Lever styles. I had all kind of problems with it puking significant amounts of coolant out of the drain hose after driving and then stopping for gas, food, etc. Since replacing the cap, I have driven the vette about 100 miles. To my suprise, NO MORE GREEN PUKE!! Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself, but so far so good!! Thanks for everyone's guidance and suggestions!!

Consider this Case Closed!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 Small Block - Radiator Pukes out Coolant from Overflow Drain Hose

Quick Reply: 1971 Small Block - Radiator Pukes out Coolant from Overflow Drain Hose