C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic coating break in question???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Neptune75
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ceramic coating break in question???

i sent my hooker super comp headers out to get coated i got them back with a disclamer stating if u use the headers on a new engine it will screww the coating has any one had a problem with this or are they just covering there asses???....... i don't wanna mount a stock exhaust manifold on to break this engine in.....
Old 08-07-2009, 06:33 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Just make sure you aren't running lean or timing is too advanced or the motor gets too hot, is it a roller motor or flat tappet ?

These coatings go gray after a year anyway, you just want to avoid it burning off when first installed
Old 08-07-2009, 06:34 PM
rham
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of coated headers a few years ago and they said the same thing- not to break in a flat tappet camshaft. I did it anyway- they were fine but I don't know about the long term effects, I sold the car a couple of years after that. My headers were a cheap set of Patriots but I don't know if I would risk it on a good set of headers. I made sure the timing and carb was right and kept a fan on the engine to keep the temps down.
Randy
Old 08-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Neptune75
Pro

full roller and im sending it out to detroit muscle to get dyno tuned i live about 60 miles north of detroit so im gunna trailer it.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:09 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

New engines have a tendency to be lean and get high exhaust temps. Start it and run for a short time, then shut it down and let it cool. Make sure timing is correct. I did mine in several cycles (hot/cool) and still no problems.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Camshaft break in requires 20 minutes running at 2K or better... be as certain as you can you are in time, and not lean while you start and run in your new powerplant. If you are not dead sure, remount the stock manifolds or risk discoloring your new coating. the effort to ensure both will be worthwhile!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Neptune75
Pro

thanks you guys this has been helpful...
Old 08-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
New engines have a tendency to be lean and get high exhaust temps. Start it and run for a short time, then shut it down and let it cool. Make sure timing is correct. I did mine in several cycles (hot/cool) and still no problems.
That's my understanding too. The first time I cranked up my latest rebuild, I did it on a test stand with an old pair of rusty headers while adjusting and tweaking.

Once the new cam was mated to the new lifters and it was stable, I swapped over the coated sidemounts for a couple heat/cold cycles. The headers cured fine and I'm almost ready to reinstall all of it.

If new engine was getting run in, in the car, I'd run old headers or the rams horns until the adjustments were complete before installing the coated units. I know test stands aren't that common.

My .02.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:44 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Solid lifters (or hydraulic) DO need that 20 minute break in. Rollers do not. Just make sure the timing is right (or close) and the mixture is plenty fat.

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic coating break in question???

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating break in question???