C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroking a Gen VI 454 to a 496 (or 489)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:39 PM
alphamale1906
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stroking a Gen VI 454 to a 496 (or 489)

I have a gen VI 454 sitting around and was contemplating stroking it to a 489. I think that's the resulting displacement when bored 0.030 over and stroked a 1/4 of an inch. Anyway, it's a regular 330 Hp motor with cast crank and pistons. I was looking at some of the stroker kits on Ebay and various other internet sources (Jeggs, Summit, etc.).

I was thinking of going with an internally balanced assembly as the biggest part of the expense and using whatever else I had around (i.e stock square port heads, ZZ502 cam, etc.). I am not looking for anything wild, but considering how cheap stroker kits seem to be, I figured why not take advantage of what's out there for the price (since a stroker kit isn't too much more expensive than a stock assembly).

Anwyay, I have a ZZ502 camshaft I was going to use, but wanted to get an opinion if that would be enough cam for the motor. The duration at .050" tappet lift (intake/exhaust) is 224/234 and lift is .527 intake / .544 exhaust. This seems to be a decent cam for the 502, so I figured it'd be fine for a 496 (though stroke and bore configurations are different between the two).

I'm looking for a cruiser with more torque than hP, and for using what's laying around the garage, something more affordable than radical.

Finally, would there be much machine work on the block for the build I'm looking to do. I was hoping for simple piston matching (boring and honing) by my local machine shop as opposed to a bunch of block clearancing and other stuff.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Sounds like you have a great game plan and are on the right track. i'd call around to local machine shops & get their pricing and time to complete the job
Old 09-11-2009, 10:53 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
Sounds like you have a great game plan and are on the right track. i'd call around to local machine shops & get their pricing and time to complete the job

Consider the Edelbrock Performer RPM kit... It's hard to beat 610HP+ and 580 FT-LBs+ of torque.. On top of that, I honestly think Edelbrock has been underating their packages as well..
Old 09-11-2009, 11:25 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

You're on the right track with the 489/496 plan. Definitely go for a setup that will internal balance and look for a crank with center counterweights (most of the newer ones are that way). The Callies Compstar line is affordable and about the best out there as far as machinework quality. SCAT would be next....Eagle after that and CAT and all the other house brands dead last. You can spend a fortune making some of the cheapest stuff actually work.

I know you're trying to use what you have, but understand that cam is pretty wussy in the ZZ502. They are out of steam by 5200-5400 rpm. The rectangular port heads you are thinking of will work with a 496 just fine, but about the time they really get to flowing well the weenie cam will be done. Makes for a mismatched combo. I would either swap cam, heads or both.

You can have that cam reground for around $100 or so into something a lot better.

What is the rest of the car going to be? Will you use headers? What intake and what hood will you have to accomodate it? Auto or stick? Gears? A/C, PS. PB etc etc???

Get notified of new replies

To Stroking a Gen VI 454 to a 496 (or 489)

Quick Reply: Stroking a Gen VI 454 to a 496 (or 489)