C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing rear rotor rivets

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:28 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Default Removing rear rotor rivets

In 1976 I removed my left rear rotor to replace the bearings and I had to remove the rivets, no problem. Now, 33 years later I had to remove the right rear rotor to replace broken parking brake shoe springs. I drilled out the rivet heads to remove the rotor, got one of the rivet studs out of the spindle with a lot of work. I don't remember it being that hard to do when the car was 5 years old.
Is there a trick to getting out the other 4 rivet studs?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 09:59 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
In 1976 I removed my left rear rotor to replace the bearings and I had to remove the rivets, no problem. Now, 33 years later I had to remove the right rear rotor to replace broken parking brake shoe springs. I drilled out the rivet heads to remove the rotor, got one of the rivet studs out of the spindle with a lot of work. I don't remember it being that hard to do when the car was 5 years old.
Is there a trick to getting out the other 4 rivet studs?

Thanks
Just grind then down and leave them in there. No reason to take them out. Naturally rust and corrosion would make them a little harder to remove.

Quick Reply: Removing rear rotor rivets