C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam break-in dilema

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 PM
tgensel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam break-in dilema

I'm changing the cam in my 72 sbc and while reading the cam break-in instructions from Lunati it said to use 30 wt non-det oil (i have Brad Penn break-in oil) for the first 20 min run then change the oil to standard det oil and NOT syn or semi-sny for 5000 miles. The problem is that i have Brad Penn 10w 30 oil that I used in the engine before. I won't put 5000 miles on this car for years! I think the Brad Penn is semi syn but I use it for the zinc content. Is there a non syn or non syn blend that has the zinc? It seems that the oils that have the proper zinc are syn blends. Will it hurt the cam to use the Brad Penn after the 20 min break-in??
Old 02-28-2010, 10:44 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by tgensel
I'm changing the cam in my 72 sbc and while reading the cam break-in instructions from Lunati it said to use 30 wt non-det oil (i have Brad Penn break-in oil) for the first 20 min run then change the oil to standard det oil and NOT syn or semi-sny for 5000 miles. The problem is that i have Brad Penn 10w 30 oil that I used in the engine before. I won't put 5000 miles on this car for years! I think the Brad Penn is semi syn but I use it for the zinc content. Is there a non syn or non syn blend that has the zinc? It seems that the oils that have the proper zinc are syn blends. Will it hurt the cam to use the Brad Penn after the 20 min break-in??
Use it. The Brad Penn is only 10% synthetic. Change again after 100 miles. I think this is necessary. Others may argue that point. There are a lot of small wear particles. grit, moly cam lube residue and tiny metal shavings from the rings bearings cam lifters and valvetrain parts seating and run in wear that will accumulate in that first hundred miles. An oil change is cheap. Better safe than sorry.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:31 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

run that puppy....change the lube as mako suggests.....
Old 03-01-2010, 09:17 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 63mako
An oil change is cheap. Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 PM
tgensel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys will do!

Get notified of new replies

To cam break-in dilema

Quick Reply: cam break-in dilema